Forum > General Discussion

opinions - best parts of Rolemaster, MERP and HARP?

<< < (2/7) > >>

Zhaleskra:
As most of my HARP likes have been mentioned, I'll put in the one that hasn't: Damage by weapon group rather than individual weapon. And for SF, if you're wearing armor and you take a bullet (or a few) it's Ballistic Impact, if you're unarmored it's Ballistic Puncture.

Hurin:
Rolemaster (RM2):
--Individual weapon charts in all their crunchy goodness.
--Unique critical charts in all their crunchy goodness.
--Individual skill costs, which makes for deep character customization, in all their crunchy goodness.
--Vast range of classes and spell lists in all their crunchy goodness.

RMU:
--Spellcasting changes make lower level casters playable.
--Simpler and easier rules in general (lots of needless complexities eliminated, and many rules streamlined).
--Size rules standardized.
--System for balancing races, classes, and levels, and easy rules for how to build your own races and classes.
--Action point economy and initiative system.
--Spells at every level of all spell lists.

Thot:
Can't comment in HARP, as I don't have it and am really not interested from what I've read.

RM:
[*] The professions as "learning types", as in "people (who might otherwise be similar, stat-wise for instance) being different in what they can easily learn". Of course the way it is presented is not realistic, but the notion as such is a real-world thing that no other game I am aware of grasps so well.
[*] The realistic approach to damage side effects (criticals). In RMU. this is even better with the addition of hit locations.
[*] Magic that adds more effects that fit into a learned concept as you progress learning more about it. You don't learn just a spell, you learn a certain way to use magic, and as you get better at it, more effects become doable.
[/list]

MERP:
[*] Fewer weapons charts than RM; which does make sense to me. After all, a blade with a point will not do different damage than another blade with a point.
[*] Fewer skills. While this is not as realistic, this kind of realism in RM quickly turns into bookkeeping, which limits player fun (and also, simply costs player attention span).
[*] A default setting that is readily accessible to any fantasy fan, and rules that fit the setting at least to some extend.
[/list]

Hurin:

--- Quote from: Thot on January 27, 2020, 01:34:41 PM ---
[*] Fewer skills. While this is not as realistic, this kind of realism in RM quickly turns into bookkeeping, which limits player fun (and also, simply costs player attention span).

--- End quote ---

You could probably add that as a point in RMU's favor too: RMU has consolidated the skills list, greatly decreasing the overall number of skills. There's just one skill for Perception, as opposed to separate skills for General Perception, Sense Ambush, Sense Reality Warp, Detect Traps, Locate Secret Opening, and Sense Toast.

Spectre771:

--- Quote from: Hurin on January 27, 2020, 03:49:06 PM --- There's just one skill for Perception, as opposed to separate skills for General Perception, Sense Ambush, Sense Reality Warp, Detect Traps, Locate Secret Opening, and Sense Toast.

--- End quote ---

That's a shame.  It's so hard to find good toast.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version