Author Topic: ERA - Spell List Acquisition  (Read 845 times)

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
ERA - Spell List Acquisition
« on: November 23, 2019, 02:26:53 AM »
I'm struggling with making a spellcaster for RM2 (via RMC) using ERA. (WTALOA*)

The way it works in RM2 is that you spend your points, make a roll, and (hopefully) get a section of the list known. Usually it's 10 levels at once, but that varies for some professions.  The RMC options I see have two sections: the list itself at a cost of 2/2/2 and the Learn Portion section at acost of 1/*.

Two questions:
1. How does that work?
2. How can I convert sheets over to RM2? This may be obvious once I understand #1. If it involves editing the XML, that's not a problem.

* Wow That's A Lot Of Acronyms
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA - Spell List Acquisition
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 09:54:04 AM »
What do you mean with convert sheets?

To use the classical RM2 approach to learning spell lists the character spends DPs during level up and chooses the Learn Portion skill (or maybe to make things really tidy they could add a specialization of Learn Portion indicating the list and portion they want to learn, for example Fire Law B). If the portion implies a different cost it should be changed manually by editing that skill.

After level up is complete, the player checks the chance to learn the list, rolls, and if successful must manually edit the Learn Portion back to 0 ranks (or delete the skill if they created a specialization), and then manually add or modify a skill for the spell list with the number of ranks equal to the maximum spell level learned. If they fail the roll, or the gaming group is not allowing rolls and requires 20 ranks to learn the list, then the skill is left there as it is until the next level up.

Let us know if that helps.
Thanks for asking!