Author Topic: Let's talk about MONSTERS!!!  (Read 12512 times)

Offline GreenRipper

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Let's talk about MONSTERS!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2005, 10:58:03 AM »
I can attest to TwillightKing's love of zombies, most of his players still groan at the mention of certain adventures.

Personally I always liked taking the more mundane creatures (orcs, bugbears and the like) and putting my own peronal twist on them.  This usually had more to do with redefining culture as opposed "tweaking" stats.

Other than that I tend to agree with Cormac.  Player races are VERY fun, simply for the reason that they can be anything.  This also has to do with the types of campaigns I prefer, where diplomacy and politics can mean far more than combat abilities.  It is easy to make decisions when dealing with a wyvern but choices become tougher when comfronted with a powerful and popular individual who is the problem.

I REALLY need to start running a game again, being a player isn't cutting it.  ;D

Offline Norin

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2005, 12:15:57 PM »
Most of my Favorite Monsters I have been unable to use in my current campaign as it is very political and urban as another poster (akai) has mentioned.... But in no particular order Otyugh (called fecevores in my setting) I am partial to Treants, Powerful undead types (more custom NPC's with Templates, then monsters). I also enjoy utilizing Drakes but as my current group is level 5 they have no real chance of dealing with them on an even footing.

Mostlty thoughthey face of against humaniod opponents, my current favorite are cultists and the assassins that they have hired to exact some retribution "And we would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those meddling adventurers!"
"You have an overdeveloped sense of vengeance. That's going to get you into trouble someday!"

Offline Mando

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Conversion HARP - Terre du Milieu
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2005, 12:13:00 AM »

So, let's hear from you GMs: What badboys you like to throw at your victi..er.."players"? Homebrewed? Official? You name it!!! How did the encounter go?

As we play in Middle Earth, I try to convert monsters bit by bit to fit the setting. I have done so for Orcs (had to do it) and published it on my website. Then went to Trolls (had to do it too :)) and the doc is nearly finished now, but not released as my players still have to discover a few things before.

I have used Undeads with few modifications and I loved them (not sure about the feeling of my players, thought, they looked scared at the least). The way their special abilities work in HARP gives them a deep special feeling without having the negative side of things like "level draining". They inspired awe and fear at the table, so that was fine.

I have also used NPCs with a lot of pleasure, much less prep time than in my previous system and a lot of customization easily done.

Other monsters are usually created by taking an existing one and adapting it: if I find something in Core Book or MaFG that fits, I adapt quickly, even if I have to change a few things or just look and name, else I go to my big collection of RPGs, take what I need and adapt it to HARP.

.:| Fred, aka Mando |:.

Communauté francophone des joueurs de Jeux de Rôles ICE : Iceland

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2005, 07:31:45 AM »
The players in my game entered two abondonded, far of cities to find demons (generally banned in my world).
The first city has lots of low level demons (frzzm, grumoz, Dreadwing and Traag),  which they took care of the Frzzzm  (Rm conversion to M:AFG of my own design).
Then they hit some elf and man demons (RM C&T conversions)and got out of Dodge very quickly! ;D

The second city had some very large Rhondintor and Demon Drake in a battle royale - they didnt even go near the city - very wise for 5th level's!!
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline Hawkwind

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2005, 07:54:49 AM »
Most of the foes my players have been facing are humans (including elves, halflings etc) and humanoids - goblins, hobgoblins & the like.

Can be very interesting as for the most part an orc is an orc but an elf could be anything.

Well, orcs can have levels as well  :) Even standard orcs in HARP are much tougher than D&D - they're 6th level creatures as opposed to 1 HD in D&D.

Hawk

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
    • Tim's RPG YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2005, 03:14:53 PM »
Yeti (who doesn't like an ape that can freeze you stiff with a hug?)
Wolfen/Wolfmen/Werewolves
Linnorms (from that other system)
Giants are fun!
Bastards of Gods and Monsters have a nice flair

https://www.youtube.com/samwise7rpg