Author Topic: Shield Bash  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Dunadan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Shield Bash
« on: March 25, 2019, 06:44:20 PM »
I'm running a RM2/RMC campaign and one of the characters wants to develop "Shield Bash" as an attack.

I can't find anything in the core books. Does anyone know if it was provided in any of the other books (Companions etc)? Or how it is handled?

Tx in anticipation
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” - J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Shield Bash
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 07:17:07 PM »
Hi. I found some material in the Arms Law classic version on p18. Also some more rules in Companion IV on p14.
All up it's heavily optional how it's handled but the shield bash is portrayed as a crushing weapon attack based on shield type and character mass.

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk

e crits all round

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 03:25:16 AM »
You can develop Shield Bash a few ways.  I always allowed it as a "brawling" attack using a % of the OB from the weapon being held in the weapon hand....kind of inferring it as part of the fighting style of that weapon.  I used the ram/butt/bash attack table and limited the size to Medium for wall shields, Small for full/normal shields.  Make sure you apply the off-hand penalty too. 
You could certainly develop a skill using too.  You could use the same guidelines as above and the 1H Crush costs for example.  This would not grant a 2nd melee attack obviously....but, I think most GMs house rule that anyway ;).  Also, you might want to consider the DB implications of a shield being used as a weapon.  Can it be used for both in the same round?  etc. 
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 05:49:54 AM »

I used the ram/butt/bash attack table and limited the size to Medium for wall shields, Small for full/normal shields.  Make sure you apply the off-hand penalty too. 
You could certainly develop a skill using too.  You could use the same guidelines as above and the 1H Crush costs for example.  This would not grant a 2nd melee attack obviously....but, I think most GMs house rule that anyway ;).  Also, you might want to consider the DB implications of a shield being used as a weapon.  Can it be used for both in the same round?  etc.

This is pretty much it in a nutshell.  Shield Bash is developed as a weapon category, using up one of the six weapon costs.  Attacks are resolved on the Ram/Butt/Bash Table.  As it is a unique weapon category, off-hand penalty applies as does using Two Weapon Combo if the player wants to make two attacks per round.  The shield is the weapon in the off-hand.

We do allow the full shield DB even if it's being used for an attack.  For parrying, the OB is reduced from both attacks.  If the player opts to parry with 30 OB, then it is -30 from both attacks (weapon and shield bash).

If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Dunadan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 07:21:13 PM »
OK... I didn't see the option for Shield Bash in Arms Law. So many rulebooks.. and Companions!

Anyway... my interpretation...

- shield bash on the ram/butt/bash table (max of medium for wall shield or small for others)
- cost as per 1HC
- still allow the shield DB to apply
- shield is an off-hand attack (-20 OB)
- attack with either normal weapon or shield or both
- parry decreases OB from both weapons (and doesn't stack)

Thanks for the input guys
:)

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” - J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 03:11:00 PM »
I would use it as TWC.
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 07:10:48 PM »
I suppose you could use TWC.  But, you have to develop both weapons anyway to use a TWC if I recall.  Alos, is the PC a Tika style shield is the weapon character?

Offline Dunadan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 09:22:57 PM »
I don't see any options for TWC as a separate skill in in RMC.

The only mention is that it says that you have to develop the off-hand weapon (in this case shield) separately from the main hand.

eg: if you were using a short sword in both hands, you need to develop short sword (off hand) separately from short sword (main hand).

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 10:49:35 PM »
I couldn't find anything in RMC for TWC either although it is in RM2 but can't find mention of shield bash. It looks like the shield bash attack is granted without developing it as a TWC skill.

Things to consider are a character would burn through x2 exhaustion points if swinging a shield bash and weapon in the same round. Also is a shield bash attack feasible in the same round as a weapon attack if the weapon is long?

(Although to be "realistic" a departure from normal RM2 should probably add a "wield shield" skill due to a character's stance, balance and movement being significantly altered between using a sword without a shield and using a sword with a shield.
Wield shield and weapon OB's would be averaged (shield skill usable OB could not be higher than the primary weapon) for attacks and thus form the basis of a shield bash attack carried out.

e crits all round

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 02:36:16 AM »
TWC doesn't exist in RMC. It was replaced by fighting styles in the Combat Companion.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 04:26:43 AM »
A TWC skill has always seemed over complicated to me anyway.  Sword & Board is classic and would include using a shield as a weapon IMO.