Author Topic: RMC Questions  (Read 8628 times)

Offline Cpt Tiberius J. Krik

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMC Questions
« on: September 23, 2018, 06:29:18 PM »
Character Law

On Page 75: Normal Skill Development
It says...

Many skills may not (at any cost) be developed at a rate faster than one skill rank per character level. For a given profession, these skills have a single cost number in Table 07-03.”

Ok, this seems to be saying, if a skill has a cost of (for example) 1/*, it cannot be raised more than once.

Then on Page 76: Primary Skill Development Costs
It says...

Only if a notation such as “2/7” appears, may a skill be improved two skill ranks during one experience level. The cost before the slash (in development points) is paid to raise the skill the first rank and the cost after the slash is paid (in addition) to raise it the second rank (if desired).

That makes sense.

But then, again on Page 76:
It says...

A notation of 1/*, 2/*, 3/*, etc, indicates that an infinite number of skill ranks in this area may be developed at one time at the listed cost for each.

Aren't the red rules contradicting each other? One seems to say you cannot increase a skill rank beyond 1, the other seems to say you can increase a skill rank as much as you like.

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMC Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 06:58:54 PM »
It does seem to be errata because

Page 75:
"If the slash is followed by an * instead of a number, that area may be developed as much as desired during any experience level and each rank of development has the same cost."

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 07:01:36 PM »
Doh! It makes sense now

There's a difference between skills having a single cost number (1) and skills having a single number (1/*)

Sorry :/

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 10:56:27 PM »
You got it now, Captain.  "Single Cost Skills" don't have a slash ("/"), so costs like "9" or "20" can only be developed at a rate of one rank per level.  Whereas a cost of say 2/* means you could develop as many ranks (at a cost of 2 DP per rank) as you have DPs to spend each level.

Nightblade ->--

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 03:44:38 PM »
Page 79: Skill for Weapons Within a Category
"A character’s skill with each weapon (and each way of using it) is considered a separate area for development purposes."

So, if I have 1 Handed-Edged OB +30 and Broadsword +55 and I pick up a Longsword, I use that at +30 (unless I use option rules)?

Page 79
"Note that because skills with different weapons are considered separate, two weapons of the same type may be developed simultaneously without penalty, provided that the development cost of each is paid."

I don't understand this second part.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 04:34:05 PM »
You would not develop 1 handed edged as a skill. You could develop Shortsword(melee) and Shortsword(thrown) as an example of two aspects of the same weapon.

The second case is if you learned broadsword and dagger they are both 1 handed edged weapons so they have the same cost.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 06:33:29 AM »
Page 98: Example
"Clu wants the sword to have two properties: + 2 spell adder (cost: 200 gp, since a sword is “rod sized) and “Elf-slaying”
(cost: 500 gp)
"

Where does the +500gp Elf Slaying come from?

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 07:01:27 AM »
Also...

Page 100: Tables?
"The cost for a spell bonus property is equal to the cost given in the table below times the sum of any applicable spell bonus cost multipliers"

Should that read "to the cost given in the table above" (on page 99)?

Also, the above paragraph mentions the 'Spell Bonus Cost Multipliers' table. But there are two tables with 'Multipliers' in their names (on page 100 and 101). I assume you use both, if applicable?

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 09:30:59 PM »
Page 98: Example
"Clu wants the sword to have two properties: + 2 spell adder (cost: 200 gp, since a sword is “rod sized) and “Elf-slaying”
(cost: 500 gp)
"

Where does the +500gp Elf Slaying come from?

p.20 ChL&CaL (1989 RM2 Red Border version) or p.102 RMC ChL&CaL:

Cost = 10xlvl - Slays Type Of Creature - "Treat all races as 50th Level (e.g., a sword of Elf Slaying has a cost of +500gp)"

Hope that helps.

Nightblade ->--

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 09:40:36 PM »
Also...

Page 100: Tables?
"The cost for a spell bonus property is equal to the cost given in the table below times the sum of any applicable spell bonus cost multipliers"

Should that read "to the cost given in the table above" (on page 99)?

Also, the above paragraph mentions the 'Spell Bonus Cost Multipliers' table. But there are two tables with 'Multipliers' in their names (on page 100 and 101). I assume you use both, if applicable?

I couldn't find the section you quote in the RMC Version of ChL&CaL, but I did find this that might help you (on p. 100 as well):

"These multipliers are cumulative in that they are summed before they modify the base cost."

So you pick all the multipliers that apply to the properties you have decided the item to have, sum them & then multiply this result by the base cost.  And yes, you can pick properties from the variety of tables available in ChL&CaL as well as other RM sources (Alchemy Companion & RoCoI come to mind).

Again, I hope this helps.

Nightblade ->--

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 02:20:52 AM »
Thanks for the clarifying Nighblade - that does help.

Re: Page 100: Tables?
I've only got RMC the core rulebook (the one with the female elf fighter on the cover). The specific part I'm quoting is on page 100, top left column, second bullet point.

There it says "table below" but I think it means "table above", i.e. the table on page 99. But I'm unsure.

EDIT: Is ChL&CL, Character & Campaign Law?

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 02:27:18 AM »
"These multipliers are cumulative in that they are summed before they modify the base cost."

So you pick all the multipliers that apply to the properties you have decided the item to have, sum them & then multiply this result by the base cost.  And yes, you can pick properties from the variety of tables available in ChL&CaL as well as other RM sources (Alchemy Companion & RoCoI come to mind).

Nightblade ->--
Ok, so, you do use both tables with 'Multipliers' in their names, specifically, the tables on page 100 and 101?

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 03:53:49 AM »

EDIT: Is ChL&CL, Character & Campaign Law?

Correct.
Check out Notations at the beginning(first few pages) of most RM2 books for other shorthand reference abbrevs. of the plethora of RM Rulebooks for more.

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2018, 07:46:23 AM »
Page: 141
"A super character with racial adds to his +25 bonuses for Quickness and Strength may move quite far walking even while burdened with armor and a heavy load."

I'm not sure what the highlighted means

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2018, 11:47:01 AM »
It just reflects that a character with +25 bonuses to Qu and Str is way above average. No technical meaning.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2018, 12:46:11 PM »
Note that it also says "racial adds", for which +25 would be very high. I'm pretty sure no PC race gets +25 to both Qu and St (those with high St tend to have bad Qu)... checking my RM2 C&T, +25 racial St is in the Giant range of bonuses. Even trolls don't go that high. Only a few fey folk reach +25 or better Qu. To get +25 to Qu and St as racial adds would require use of some homebrewed race. But you can pump St and Qu bonuses with background options from Rolemaster Companion (I) and later which can lead to very high bonuses if the base stats and racial mods are good. But the bonuses listed as racial adds are "super" because they are near the extremes for such mods individually for two stats that rarely have bonuses together (and certainly not at those extremes)... the example exceeds actual game limits.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2018, 02:20:13 PM »
Ok thanks both

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2018, 01:55:02 AM »
... you can pump St and Qu bonuses with background options from Rolemaster Companion (I) and later which can lead to very high bonuses if the base stats and racial mods are good.

Speaking of which, if a player rolled an extra stat bonus for a background option in RoCoI, I would take the total bonus it created minus any race bonus and crossreference the subtotal and apply whatever it amounted to as the new Stat.
I would then allow a Player to select an A/B/C pick from RoCoIII’s super stat abilities if the new stat was 102+.

So a Player Character with a “normal” 100Stat(+25) ends up getting any kind of Stat Bonus background option to it(+15 to +25) would get their Temp and Potential raised to whatever the new total bonus would end up being(+40 to +50) or (a 102 to 104 Stat).
I would then allow the perusal of an A pick, as mentioned.

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2018, 09:26:05 PM »
... you can pump St and Qu bonuses with background options from Rolemaster Companion (I) and later which can lead to very high bonuses if the base stats and racial mods are good.

Speaking of which, if a player rolled an extra stat bonus for a background option in RoCoI, I would take the total bonus it created minus any race bonus and crossreference the subtotal and apply whatever it amounted to as the new Stat.
I would then allow a Player to select an A/B/C pick from RoCoIII’s super stat abilities if the new stat was 102+.

So a Player Character with a “normal” 100Stat(+25) ends up getting any kind of Stat Bonus background option to it(+15 to +25) would get their Temp and Potential raised to whatever the new total bonus would end up being(+40 to +50) or (a 102 to 104 Stat).
I would then allow the perusal of an A pick, as mentioned.

That's an interesting way of looking at things Majyk.  I kind of like that.  It makes a lot of sense (if you use that particular option from RoCoIII (as I do)).

Nightblade ->--

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2018, 09:26:43 PM »

Nightblade ->--
Ok, so, you do use both tables with 'Multipliers' in their names, specifically, the tables on page 100 and 101?

That's right.

Nightblade ->--