Author Topic: Free pdfs for those who want them + Seeking feedback on House Rules  (Read 2179 times)

Offline C.Tozer

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • youtube.com/@ofhorrorsandheroes
    • Of Horrors & Heroes
Hi all

As posted under an initial discussion about changing the rules for Firearms in RM I'm in the process of developing my final home rules list.

I would really like value any feedback, reactions or ideas that come from having a look at what I have got so far. Check out the links below and I'm more than happy to share the final document should anyone be interested as well as the other .pdf's I have created too.

The draft Home Rules are included in a draft document up on the Rolemaster Group Facebook page - have a look at the link below. I will also try to add the document to this post too.

Also as mentioned in my Facebook post there are a bunch of other House Rule/compilation documents I have created (all RM2/RMC Spell Lists, all RM2/RMC Professions and my own attempt to amend the RM2/RMC armor rules).
If anyone wants a copy of any of these either let me know or go to the Files section of the Facebook page - all three finished documents are there.

Look forward to any feedback on my House Rules (particularity regarding Firearms or the bleeding/first aid rules too).

Cheers

Chris

My post on Facebook is the link below:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2576550882/permalink/10156529829345883/?comment_id=10156530773515883&notif_id=1534894769314976&notif_t=group_comment

The Rolemaster FB Files page is at:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2576550882/files/
**Interested in some Rolemaster Actual Play Sessions to watch - check out https://www.youtube.com/@ofhorrorsandheroes ***

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Free pdfs for those who want them + Seeking feedback on House Rules
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 03:36:39 PM »
i am avoiding f**eb**k like hell.
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 09:00:57 AM »
I ain't never done facebook.  Never shall.

Just like I have never used google.  Never shall.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline C.Tozer

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Of Horrors & Heroes
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 09:29:14 AM »
Okay fair enough.

There is a link below on this page if you want to download the document. Look forward to any feedback anyone has.

Thanks

I ain't never done facebook.  Never shall.

Just like I have never used google.  Never shall.

rmfr
**Interested in some Rolemaster Actual Play Sessions to watch - check out https://www.youtube.com/@ofhorrorsandheroes ***

Offline Neee-Wom

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 02:54:06 AM »
Thanks for sharing, I will have a look and post my feedback.
Ni!

Offline C.Tozer

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Of Horrors & Heroes
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 07:20:44 AM »
Nice one thanks very much indeed Neee-Wom. I look forward to your thoughts and if you would a copy of the final .pdf (or any of the other pdfs that I have created) I'd be more than happy to provide you with them.

Cheers

Chris

Ps - nice to see you are a Holy Grail fan too!

Thanks for sharing, I will have a look and post my feedback.

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 06:31:54 AM »
Hi. I had a quick look on FB at the house rules at some of the sections and it looks pretty good, nice production.
Its made me consider how to handle these things myself.
Below I've made some suggestions and comments:

Throwing knives are slimmer and will do less damage in melee, so they have an additional -10 in melee
I'm not sure that is always true. A slimmer knife could fit between armour plates and ribs easier making it deadlier, but would break more often and be a poor choice for general tool use so you could lower the item strength/BF for these knives.
Suggest for slimmer knives add a bonus to puncture crit rolls while ignoring slash results, or treat slash crits as puncture crits.

In terms of OB an attack is not restricted by the normal -25 by having no ranks in brawling,
Possibly have the normal -25 penalty stay but is removed during a combat once the character first takes or delivers hits. This simulates adrenalin kicking in thus awakening their fight response and the "warrior within".

FIRST AID
Consider magic items for this purpose in your world and how widespread they are. Are they common like band-aids?
This could diminish the role of 1st aid.
Suggest diagnostics skill as a bonus for 1st/2nd aid - especially for working on an unconscious patient.

There is no Prepare Herb skill in the game rather “Herb Lore”
Pre-existing skills could be used as a primary or secondary bonus for preparing herbs such as:
Alchemy - "Bonus for identifying and mixing various non-magical substances with relatively predictable results." RM2 II p.23 and
Cookery - "...preparing/neutralizing dangerous herbs... Includes poison preparations..." RM2 II p.27 especially for herbs where brewing/ingestion is needed.
Prepare Herb skill could be a sub-category of these or use same DP cost.

Starting Medical Bonuses
The rationale for this is that in a fantasy/medieval setting most people will have some basic knowledge of how to heal people -

Not sure why this would apply, although depends on the world setting and the effect of superstition and false assumptions that a medieval type surgeon would have.
Why would a character know how to heal if they are not in a medic role? How prevalent is magical healing after battles - is real medicine an eccentric practice in the game world scoffed at by spell casting healers?

Starting Region Lore Bonuses - I think scrap the bonus and just assign an easier difficulty if you deem a character could know something due to their living in an area for a long time.
eg. a local finds local lore easy +20 bonus vs a foreign character who might find this hard to recall (-10 penalty).
Overall, I think a lot of the lore of a game world must be deemed as known automatically to give the players a visual sense and reasoning of the game world and to add flavour and theme to that world.
e crits all round

Offline C.Tozer

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Of Horrors & Heroes
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 01:08:17 PM »
Hi Brole

I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to provide some feedback - thanks very much indeed.

Hope perhaps some of my other .pdfs may be useful for your gaming (feel free to download them/amend them as you see fit)

I'm in the middle of moving from Saudi Arabia back to my native NZ and I won't get a chance to properly respond for a few days but I certainly will read through your comments/thoughts.

Again thanks and happy dice rolling

Chris

Hi. I had a quick look on FB at the house rules at some of the sections and it looks pretty good, nice production.
Its made me consider how to handle these things myself.
Below I've made some suggestions and comments:

Throwing knives are slimmer and will do less damage in melee, so they have an additional -10 in melee
I'm not sure that is always true. A slimmer knife could fit between armour plates and ribs easier making it deadlier, but would break more often and be a poor choice for general tool use so you could lower the item strength/BF for these knives.
Suggest for slimmer knives add a bonus to puncture crit rolls while ignoring slash results, or treat slash crits as puncture crits.

In terms of OB an attack is not restricted by the normal -25 by having no ranks in brawling,
Possibly have the normal -25 penalty stay but is removed during a combat once the character first takes or delivers hits. This simulates adrenalin kicking in thus awakening their fight response and the "warrior within".

FIRST AID
Consider magic items for this purpose in your world and how widespread they are. Are they common like band-aids?
This could diminish the role of 1st aid.
Suggest diagnostics skill as a bonus for 1st/2nd aid - especially for working on an unconscious patient.

There is no Prepare Herb skill in the game rather “Herb Lore”
Pre-existing skills could be used as a primary or secondary bonus for preparing herbs such as:
Alchemy - "Bonus for identifying and mixing various non-magical substances with relatively predictable results." RM2 II p.23 and
Cookery - "...preparing/neutralizing dangerous herbs... Includes poison preparations..." RM2 II p.27 especially for herbs where brewing/ingestion is needed.
Prepare Herb skill could be a sub-category of these or use same DP cost.

Starting Medical Bonuses
The rationale for this is that in a fantasy/medieval setting most people will have some basic knowledge of how to heal people -

Not sure why this would apply, although depends on the world setting and the effect of superstition and false assumptions that a medieval type surgeon would have.
Why would a character know how to heal if they are not in a medic role? How prevalent is magical healing after battles - is real medicine an eccentric practice in the game world scoffed at by spell casting healers?

Starting Region Lore Bonuses - I think scrap the bonus and just assign an easier difficulty if you deem a character could know something due to their living in an area for a long time.
eg. a local finds local lore easy +20 bonus vs a foreign character who might find this hard to recall (-10 penalty).
Overall, I think a lot of the lore of a game world must be deemed as known automatically to give the players a visual sense and reasoning of the game world and to add flavour and theme to that world.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 11:22:18 AM »
I agree on throwing knives IF they're specially designed for throwing (as opposed to a dagger that happens to be balanced for throwing...the Vietnam-era Gerber Mk II is an example). There's also the stiletto, which was not designed for throwing but was designed for what would be considered Puncture attacks. The easiest approach here would likely be to convert Slash crits to Punctures.

Agree on the idea of starting medical bonus. I can see it if you're modeling a party that might reasonably have had basic medical training (my modern games using a military or para-military setting are an example), but otherwise it doesn't make sense. Especially if there's a magical alternative that's easily accessible and common. I did have first aid as a background skill for one of my fantasy cultures, but that was because they had very limited magical use and relied more on herbalists.

As an aside, I ended up creating starting background skill profiles for my world, and a set number of ranks in Region Lore for their point of origin was part of that. Ranks are easier in my mind than tracking difficulty level reductions and it also allowed characters to improve on their basic knowledge (which did happen...quite a few of my campaign events involved history of the local area).
Darn that salt pork!

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 12:15:43 PM »
In a setting where people spend a lot of time in the wilderness, either on their own or with small groups, it's reasonable to expect that they will have some ability to handle injuries. One or two ranks of a medical skill does not make a doctor, but it might be enough to stop the bleeding so you don't die before getting back to a healer. One or two ranks is more like you have seen someone do it and can give it a shot in an emergency. (My character once stumbled across the dead and dying losers of a battle. By the time he successfully stabilized one of them, he had failed on another ten. This is not a significant level of ability.) One or two ranks, for treating immediate trauma, doesn't represent the level of training where you need any real theory of how medicine or the body works. It's just basics like how to bandage a wound. The only medical theory here is that blood is supposed to stay in the body, and it's usually bad when it comes out. People generally understand that. Details can be left to advanced practitioners.

Herbalism is ok to fill that role, but only if you expect that people in such situations will routinely carry suitable herbs. Once the bleeding begins, it's way too late to search for herbs. Herbalism also does not solve some problems. You can treat someone so their bones will heal twice as fast, but you still need to splint it, maybe put it in a sling. (Properly setting it could be done on the spot, but probably it can wait until you get them back to someone with more medical training, if you are days out and not weeks.) Herbalism won't help you there.

Magic can also fill that role, but only if every hunting party will have a caster with the necessary spells; that's assuming extremely common magic. Definitely setting dependent. I would encourage people to adjust background skill ranks according to their setting.

Characters from highland, harsh, wastes, sylvan, etc environments are likely to spend a fair amount of time in the wild. I wouldn't expect a typical urban character to have much need.

As for throwing knives, I think the biggest difference I have noticed is in the grip and the guard. You can throw just about anything but it's not unreasonable to put a penalty on throwing a knife designed for melee, or on wielding a knife meant for throwing, or expecting to pay a little more for a knife that has been really well designed and will serve for both. Not a necessary detail though.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 08:54:42 PM »
Re: First Aid

I'm a Lifeguard, Swimming Instructor & First Aid Instructor.  A lot of first aid is common sense, as jDale suggests (i.e. if blood is coming out of the body, that's bad.  Solution: find a way to stop the bleeding - apply pressure to the wound).  I also agree those who spend more time in the wilderness will be more familiar with more complex First Aid than their urban counterparts - though urbanites should be able to treat the basics (i.e. cuts, burns, bruises).

You also have to remember that First Aid encompasses more than cuts, burns & bruises.  With more skill (i.e. formal training), a First Aider can treat anything from minor wounds (the aforementioned cuts, burns & bruises) to epileptic seizures, diabetic shock, hypothermia and heart attacks.  A well trained First Aider is more than the guy who will slap bandages on wounds.  He might be able to get a severely wounded person stabilized enough that they can be transported to professional medical facilities (i.e. the Healer's shop in the next city).

Nightblade ->--

Offline GamemasterAlf

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 11:52:45 PM »
a couple thoughts
On sighting with bows for the bonus you limit it to the target at a run maximum
Not sure it is realistic - a target at any speed would have a benefit of an extra round to lead their target like any hunter. Game animals will go all out to escape but not all get away
Might have penalties for the higher speed and if they are running away they get that nasty further range

The other issue is the Rapid fire for bows - not an issue with the rules really but in the equity

Melee to me is a series of blows feints ect with one successful attack (maybe i am taking this from D&D) but go to your tool chest and pull out a hammer - see how many times you can swing  your "handaxe" in 10 seconds  Why should all those swings not have the same opportunity as a ranged attack to hit? Yes with penalties
The single attack per round is an equity thing As you put in your rules for bows - you can do it - but is it really accurate or effective
Nobody will carry swords if you can spray a quiver of arrows in one round
Maybe you just need to revise your rounds to 5 or less seconds if you are trying to get realistic timings our of any of the attacks