Author Topic: Homebrew Steampunk Campaign  (Read 1568 times)

Offline thedoctor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Homebrew Steampunk Campaign
« on: December 21, 2017, 11:32:36 AM »
I'm in the middle of a sci-fi campaign set 4000 years after the fantasy campaign that a friend had run earlier. After this is wrapped up, I want to go back and do a steampunk type campaign set in the Industrial Revolution era of this setting. This will essentially mean splitting the difference between HARP Fantasy and HARP Sci-Fi rules in many ways, mostly due to story/setting reasons particular to the world we've built. I want to use this thread as a sounding board on some of the rules tune ups that I'm considering.

First thing has to do with firearms. Sci-fi gives reload times as two rounds (with a round equaling 2 seconds). That's perfectly fine for modern and futuristic firearms. Revolvers and muzzle loading weapons should take longer. What I've been able to gather is that a musket could be fired three times a minute. That boils reload time to about 20 seconds, so ten rounds just like a heavy crossbow. A flintlock pistol would take about 15 seconds, so about 7-8 rounds.

Now, revolvers and repeater rifles look to be a bit trickier. A competition shooter with a revolver and speed loader clip can reload in about 3 seconds. Again, that's someone who does that for a living and practices everyday using a quick fix. So I imagine 5 rounds (10 seconds) to be a fair compromise. Using the speed loading talent and possibly including a speed loader clip could knock it back down closer to the 3 second time. Repeater rifles, due to their higher ammo capacity, should probably take about 8 rounds to reload completely. I'm thinking of rules to allow for not a complete reload that will take fewer rounds (heh! pun!). A breech loading single shot should be okay at 2 rounds.

Does that seem fair to most of you? Notes? Suggestions?