Author Topic: What TV shows would you like to see remade or come to TV?  (Read 2935 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
What TV shows would you like to see remade or come to TV?
« on: July 02, 2014, 01:06:23 PM »
In other threads often someone will say "I wish this TV show would be redone, updated or given a fair(er) shake with more $, talent and time.
   So what would you like to see remade for TV or come to TV for the first time?

I like others here on the boards would vote for Fire Fly to make a comeback and maybe it will since there seems to be a slot lacking for space based drama in most stations line ups.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: What TV shows would you like to see remade or come to TV?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 02:05:19 PM »
I'd love to see a real second shot given to Dresden Files. Also, I think Mistborn and Stormlight Archives by Sanderson would make good series. Maybe not on HBO. :)
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 02:07:48 PM »
Me too for the Dresden Files - and this time do it like the books.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 07:51:04 PM »
I wish they'd bring back a good Stargate.  I liked SG-1 and Atlantis was ok, but they lost me with SG-Universe.

Firefly is an obvious one for most those familiar with it (dummies at Fox)

I know some here were so-so on it, but I thought Being Human was decent.  Better than other stuff that's still around.  (Fox strike again).

Highlander was alright, but it probably hasn't aged well.  The spin-off "Raven" was a mistake imo... they should have gone with a spin-off based on Methos.  Seemed pretty glaringly obvious to me that would have been a gold mine of possibilities.  (For those who don't know Methos was the oldest living immortal and was, at one time, one of the Four Horseman per the TV show storyline - course, they may have had to get past his pacifist streak if they did a lot of modern day episodes, but that wouldn't have been hard...).

Rome on HBO was good.  Not quite sure why they ditched that.  Could be problems caused by how the first season went down (i.e. slow ratings at first, didn't hire everyone back right away, then the show got popular and they had to scramble to get their cast back, etc).  I was also told by one of the HBO reps it was very expensive.

Battlestar Galactica I liked at first too.  But it got to the point where I just wanted to slit my wrists watching it due to the depressing episode after episode and I stopped watching it altogether as a result.  So I guess you could say I'd like to see it done better.

I also wish Sci-Fi would take the money they spend on those awful movies they make and do a new series.  They usually tend to do a good job on their series.  Movies?  Not so much.  If the name "Roger Coreman" (or something like that) is in the credits you know it's going to be over the top cheesy.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 08:40:57 PM »
I have been rewatching Scarecrow & Mrs. King and I would like a more modern take on that, because while the relationship/personal interaction stuff is still fun, the rest does not translate very well to modern times.

Other than that, I would love (LOVE!!) a Wheel of Time series, but I think it would have to be animated because it would take too long and the actors would age too much.

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 10:31:12 PM »
I would love (LOVE!!) a Wheel of Time series, but I think it would have to be animated because it would take too long and the actors would age too much.
I think that'd have to be done by one of the pay channels (ideally HBO) to do it right.  They're willing to put more money into their stuff than network TV is.
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 02:49:32 AM »
I think that'd have to be done by one of the pay channels (ideally HBO) to do it right.  They're willing to put more money into their stuff than network TV is.
I don't think so (apart from the money angle, as it would take quite a bit of money), I think ABC would be fine. The Wheel of Time is not The Game of Thrones so much of what makes GoT rated MA (Mature, for Mature Audiences) is not present in tWoT. The fights don't have to be uber-bloody affairs, though with what is allowed on shows like NCIS, Bones, and the like with the autopsies being somewhat shown (why am I always sitting down to eat when one of these comes one?!?), some blood & guts will be OK. Of course, if it is animated, it will be less of an issue, as I believe animated blood/violence is looked on as less problematic, though I could be wrong.

I agree with the re-do the Dresden Files, though with the same actor as Paul Blackthorn looks the part and his name just fits!
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 04:07:32 AM »
I also wish Sci-Fi would take the money they spend on those awful movies they make and do a new series.  They usually tend to do a good job on their series.  Movies?  Not so much.  If the name "Roger Coreman" (or something like that) is in the credits you know it's going to be over the top cheesy.

Just what I was thinking - if they stopped wasting the money on mockbusters and other crud, they could keep their shows going.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 08:36:35 AM »
egdcltd,
 That is the problem a lot of outside film people are looking at, too many "block busters" are flops and soon one or two will be a "flop buster" and kill a movie studio.  I think we some something close to this with the flop of Battleship for Paramount and I know Disney took a big hit for John Carter of Mars.

Shows for the Future:
Last night I thought that some new version of the Matrix with machines living inside humans and harvesting their energy but letting people be people. I was thinking about what could be the first step in ending the war or moving beyond it.
Battletech, I do think this and Shadowrun will come to the big or small screen in some form at some time before 25 as TV and Video technology will make them easier to produce well.

For a lot of shows I think now you may have to wait 20+ years until the old show ends and people forget about it ... but it is still hidden there in the back of there mind.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 09:17:56 AM »
Battleship - not as bad as I expected (mind you, I didn't expect much). I think SciFi did a mockbuster called American Warships or something.

Did you notice that the same person starred in both Battleship and John Carter?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 10:44:02 AM »
I did see the Sci Fi version of Battleship and to me it was just about as good or in some cases better than the blockbuster.

I did not notice that the same person stared in both. I wonder if he will act again in a big picture as sometimes those black marks follow actors around for years.

I always try to  keep in mind that people can hype a lot of things and at times they may sound great but in reality they just do not measure up to the "sniff test".
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 12:42:16 PM »
Battlestar Galactica I liked at first too.  But it got to the point where I just wanted to slit my wrists watching it due to the depressing episode after episode and I stopped watching it altogether as a result.  So I guess you could say I'd like to see it done better.

I haven't found Galactica depressing as yet (s2ep13). Confusing, yes - when PickTV said they were going to show "every episode from the very beginning" they neglected to say that this would not include the mini-series. So trying to figure out what is going on has been a bit of a challenge. Especially the human-form Cylons.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 03:13:34 AM »
You may not have hit that point yet, I think it was after season two.

Basically, while I don't expect TV shows to be all rainbows and kittens, I'm really not interested in watching something that continually bums me out.  Walking Dead is like that.  It was 'ok' for a Zombie show (although there was still really stupid/not well thought out stuff I hate horror flicks for) and I don't have depression issues or anything, but you were always left thinking "Good lord that sucks. I'd hate to be them!"  I quit watching it due to that too.
- Cory Magel

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 03:32:32 AM »
I currently have more than half of season three of The Walking Dead recorded, but unwatched. Too many people dying. In a zombie film I fully expect most of the cast to be killed off. In a weekly show, I have a rather different expectation. Especially for people who aren't obvious red shirts.

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 07:08:17 AM »
I like Mark's idea of a Matrix TV spin off. I had always thought there would be pockets of humans around the globe elsewhere. Animatrix had a group of humans elsewhere IRC. Was there ever a RPG based on The Matrix?
Firefly…obviously.
Another I'd Like to see done well is The Tripods (The BBC did a TV series a long time ago). I have the books and read them about three times over, it's one of my favourite alien dominant post apocalypse genres.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 08:24:02 AM »
I remember the BBC series of The Tripods. I don't think they did all three books, though; I think it got cancelled.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 03:30:10 PM »
I wish they'd bring back a good Stargate.  I liked SG-1 and Atlantis was ok, but they lost me with SG-Universe.

Firefly is an obvious one for most those familiar with it (dummies at Fox)

+1 vote from me.  They really lost me with SGU.  I'd also like to see a combo Stargate show with both a new SG-1 and Atlantis with all kinds of crossovers.

And yes, the dummies at Fox.  How dare they cancel Firefly?  I loved that show.

But if I were to choose a different show than those listed, I would really like to see a remake of Earth 2.  I thought that show was great.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 12:40:07 AM »
Basically, while I don't expect TV shows to be all rainbows and kittens, I'm really not interested in watching something that continually bums me out.  Walking Dead is like that.  It was 'ok' for a Zombie show (although there was still really stupid/not well thought out stuff I hate horror flicks for) and I don't have depression issues or anything, but you were always left thinking "Good lord that sucks. I'd hate to be them!"  I quit watching it due to that too.
I watched the first season and just wasn't impressed. For me, I want a MONSTER movie/show, not one that treats the "monster" as nothing more than a natural disaster and all the drama comes from people screwing each other over with little ability to come together instead. To me that is depressing and I don't want to watch it - which probably explains why I don't like the majority of "reality" tv.

As for Battlestar, I agree with you there too, it was depressing and just gah. I much prefer the original series, heck I even prefer BSG 2000, when they got to Earth, and that was not very good. So, I would like a good BSG, one without Edward James Olmos thank you, and that would include actual aliens (which EJO refused to allow; if they wanted to keep him no aliens) like the original series.

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 05:29:45 PM »
A good version of Sword of truth books. That actually follows the books, not like the tv show from a few years back that was more like a conan/xena rip off!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 03:06:31 PM »
I think that a TV show based on Cook's Garrett P.I. books would be great.
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!