Author Topic: ERA for Rolemaster - Creating characters and managing adventures  (Read 91425 times)

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA for Rolemaster - Creating characters and managing adventures
« Reply #360 on: October 18, 2022, 09:20:52 PM »
Can characters be imported into Fantasy Grounds?

There is this thread in the FG forums.

You can see Dadakin is involved there, who is very active in the development of Rolemaster FG, I'm not sure if that trick is working nowadays.

Offline Humlan

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #361 on: December 02, 2022, 01:58:27 PM »
Testing this thing to see if it is for us :)

But the linux server-part won't start, I suspect it wants to open a status window, but I'm running my server without GUI.

Is there any way to start the server component in terminal mode only?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #362 on: December 02, 2022, 03:02:58 PM »
Is there any way to start the server component in terminal mode only?
I can't test it on a true server Linux without UI, but there's a --headless parameter you can try.

• Open a terminal
  • Go to your ERA-Linux directory
  • Run ./ERA-RMC --headless
  • Wait for it
  • Go test it by accessing the server's IP with the ERA port (7777 by default)
Of course it also works for ERA-RMFRP (or ERA-RMU if you are reading this post in the future)

Please let us know if it worked for you, or if you need any additional help.
Thanks for using ERA!  ;D

Offline Humlan

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #363 on: December 02, 2022, 06:05:07 PM »
I can't test it on a true server Linux without UI, but there's a --headless parameter you can try.

• Open a terminal
  • Go to your ERA-Linux directory
  • Run ./ERA-RMC --headless
  • Wait for it
  • Go test it by accessing the server's IP with the ERA port (7777 by default)
Of course it also works for ERA-RMFRP (or ERA-RMU if you are reading this post in the future)

Please let us know if it worked for you, or if you need any additional help.
Thanks for using ERA!  ;D

Thanks for quick reply :)

When I first tried --headless I got error: "xdg-open: command not found" but it did start. I installed XDG-utils, which removed that error. But then it complained that it could not open a browser instead.

But atleast it works.  8)

Might be a good idea to disable the Open Browser command when starting with --headless, but not a dealbreaker.

The biggest BUT is that it doesn't have any security, if I publish this to my players it will be open for anyone to access, and there are plenty of ppl out there who regularly do portscans so can't leave it open permanently  :P I have not looked into if one can script some kind of wrapper around it, but I plan on poking a competent friend I have  ;D unless something already exists.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #364 on: December 03, 2022, 05:58:20 AM »
Might be a good idea to disable the Open Browser command when starting with --headless, but not a dealbreaker.

The idea of redesigning the launching process and make it simpler, and more similar across operating systems, has been around for a while. But I always end up using the time available for ERA to add new gaming features, or new rulesets. At some point it will happen.

The biggest BUT is that it doesn't have any security, if I publish this to my players it will be open for anyone to access, and there are plenty of ppl out there who regularly do portscans so can't leave it open permanently  :P I have not looked into if one can script some kind of wrapper around it, but I plan on poking a competent friend I have  ;D unless something already exists.

Leaving your port open all the time is certainly not a good idea. The "open a port so that people outside your network can use it" is meant only during the session if you are playing remotely. There are currently no extra security measures around it. There is also the idea of having a public ERA server, so that people can play without installing it nor setting up their network at home, but it's on the long term section of my ToDo list.

Offline kevsurp

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #365 on: December 03, 2022, 01:56:50 PM »
Updated link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4VSGeZf5uqxbG44ZVpMR2J0aU0/view?resourcekey=0-LEZjDrwBQw310udcZrYmGg

tried using link get this error message We're sorry. You can't access this item because it is in violation of our Terms of Service.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #366 on: December 03, 2022, 04:08:43 PM »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4VSGeZf5uqxbG44ZVpMR2J0aU0/view?resourcekey=0-LEZjDrwBQw310udcZrYmGg
tried using link get this error message We're sorry. You can't access this item because it is in violation of our Terms of Service.

That link is no longer updated, ever since Google change their policies, which now implies they don't allow downloads for ERA there.

In any case, you can get the latest ERA by getting the free base product on DTRPG at
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/137825/ERA-for-Rolemaster

Offline kevsurp

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #367 on: December 04, 2022, 10:22:35 AM »
any word when the RMU files are getting release for ERA?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #368 on: December 05, 2022, 05:36:13 PM »
any word when the RMU files are getting release for ERA?

It is ready, the files were submitted some days ago. I don't know exactly when the update will get to DTRPG.

I'll make sure to post about it on this thread as soon as it's available.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #369 on: December 29, 2022, 04:20:33 PM »
ERA has been updated!
https://erahome.wordpress.com/2022/12/29/whats-new-on-era-for-rolemaster-2/

-- New features --
- RMU ruleset is now available.
- Spacemaster:Privateers ruleset is now available.
- New derive attack button when editing skills in the Character Sheet module. After entering a name, the new skill will default to Offensive Bonus and be bound to the base skill selected.
- When indicating the number of preparation rounds for a spell in the Character Status module, a tooltip will explain the meaning of the numbers shown.

-- Improvements/Corrections --
- New server dialog.
- Initiative in RMC and RMFRP will no longer adjust the roll by the total injuries/modifications. Now only the corresponding Wounded adjustment will be applied.
- When updating a skill in the Character Sheet module, changing the classification will refresh the available fields without needing to accept the classification change first.
- When updating a skill in the Character Sheet module, the rank binding can now be applied to all skills.

-- Advanced Customization --
- Creature templates can specify a fixed resistance bonus for each concept/realm.
- Creature templates can optionally indicate a maximum table result and a fixed critical type.

The YouTube tutorials have been updated:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikcqMCKabCbuQT37rRjHCiZBdmUiIJF7

Also there's an exclusive new playlist with the new content only, focused on RMU:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikcqMCKabCbXl_4f1yjNzNg0ACo9NaYS

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
ERA for RMU is out!
« Reply #370 on: December 31, 2022, 04:50:26 PM »
You can now purchase the RMU core package for ERA!
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/421573/ERA-for-Rolemaster-Core-Law-RMU

- 33 races
- 22 professions
- 10 cultures
- 112 talent descriptions
- 82 weapons
- 15 critical tables
- 10 fumble tables

Offline GMsShadow

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #371 on: January 02, 2023, 05:20:05 AM »
Huzzah! Purchased. Just in time as I have a play by post game we're hoping to start this month.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #372 on: January 02, 2023, 12:53:02 PM »
going through the character build 2 things jump out. At Superior level the Knack is only 1 at +5, should be 2 at +5. Also there is no allowance for concentrated skill development, IE... 3 Ranks in a skill, allowed for the build. Weight for items is generated on the character sheet as a whole, no matter were the items are located, backpack, cart or other. In Skills that have professional bonuses the bonus is double the ranks instead of singular. IE 2 ranks give +4 instead of +2.

Everything else seems good so far, only made a rogue so far and will try spell caster next.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #373 on: January 02, 2023, 01:00:43 PM »
Never mind on the knacks instead of clicking just to show knack I did not put the amount in at 5 for 2 different skills.

I wounder if this can be changed to checking a box to get the +5 bonus instead of increasing to 5 in each of the 2 skills or 10 if using the higher level game setting?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #374 on: January 02, 2023, 07:21:08 PM »
going through the character build 2 things jump out. At Superior level the Knack is only 1 at +5, should be 2 at +5. Also there is no allowance for concentrated skill development, IE... 3 Ranks in a skill, allowed for the build. Weight for items is generated on the character sheet as a whole, no matter were the items are located, backpack, cart or other. In Skills that have professional bonuses the bonus is double the ranks instead of singular. IE 2 ranks give +4 instead of +2.

Everything else seems good so far, only made a rogue so far and will try spell caster next.
About the inventory, everything in the character is supposed to be in locations related to the character, for stuff "outside" the idea is to use the party inventory module. There you can indicate the "Carrier" which can be a horse, a location, etc.

Also... am I understanding correctly that you also would like to assign a professional skill twice, then get +2/rank? Is that allowed? In which case... is there a limit? Or can a character put all 10 professional skills in the same one then get +10/rank????

Never mind on the knacks instead of clicking just to show knack I did not put the amount in at 5 for 2 different skills.

I wounder if this can be changed to checking a box to get the +5 bonus instead of increasing to 5 in each of the 2 skills or 10 if using the higher level game setting?
I will see if a future version can automatically step the knack every 5.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #375 on: January 02, 2023, 07:56:12 PM »
>Also... am I understanding correctly that you also would like to assign a professional skill twice, then get +2/rank? Is that allowed?

The intention is that you have to pick 10 different skills for professional bonuses, and 2 different skills for knacks. You can't double them up.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #376 on: January 03, 2023, 04:44:24 PM »
ERA has been updated

-- New features --
- Added maximum result and critical columns to favorite attacks in the printable character sheet.

-- Improvements/corrections --
- In the printable character sheet, a favorite attack with +0 item bonus will now be shown as an empty string. When all favorite attacks have +0 item bonus the column will not be shown.
- RMC movement speeds when loading creatures are now the expected ones from Creatures and Treasures, instead of always considering RMFRP initiative bonus.
- Starting a new round when creatures and NPCs are involved is working again.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #377 on: January 03, 2023, 06:14:12 PM »
No, When I was looking at the character sheet it was giving some skills with Professional bonuses +2 for each rank instead of +1, I had 2 ranks but had a +4 bonus.
About the inventory, everything in the character is supposed to be in locations related to the character, for stuff "outside" the idea is to use the party inventory module. There you can indicate the "Carrier" which can be a horse, a location, etc.

Also... am I understanding correctly that you also would like to assign a professional skill twice, then get +2/rank? Is that allowed? In which case... is there a limit? Or can a character put all 10 professional skills in the same one then get +10/rank????

I will see if a future version can automatically step the knack every 5.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #378 on: January 03, 2023, 06:14:44 PM »
No, When I was looking at the character sheet it was giving some skills with Professional bonuses +2 for each rank instead of +1, I had 2 ranks but had a +4 bonus.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #379 on: January 04, 2023, 04:48:29 PM »
You can now purchase the Spacemaster:Privateers core package for ERA!
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/421574/ERA-for-Spacemaster-Privateers

- 7 races
- 8 professions
- 7 cultures
- 35 weapons
- 20 critical tables
- 16 fumble tables