Author Topic: ERA for Rolemaster - Creating characters and managing adventures  (Read 91431 times)

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA for Rolemaster - Creating characters and managing adventures
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2014, 07:59:10 AM »
This information is for Windows 8 users:
I just tried downloading ERA in a Windows 8.1 installation, using the RMFRP links provided above http://goo.gl/RHU3xF
After downloading and starting the server, Windows presented a classical warning asking for confirmation to allow ERA to accept incoming connections.
Although I accepted the dialog to allow for connections, the browser opened but did not show the application.
This might be because Windows has already blocked the request before the warning dialog was accepted.
Then, I closed the browser and the ERA Server.
I started the server again, which in turn opened the browser, and this time the module selection screen was displayed in the browser with no problem.

So basically, after accepting the "incoming connections" warning, you must restart the ERA server before using it.

Please let me know if you were able to use the application after following the instructions above.
Thanks!

Offline Psychman

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2014, 11:44:58 AM »
While I can access the new character process and work through it, when that is done and the program takes me to the character sheet, none of the stat values are transferred over, leaving a character sheet with all 10 stats being zero!
Have you assigned the rolls to each stat?
In this tutuorial video a slightly different ruleset is being used, but you can see an example of what I mean.

Aha!  That step is not obvious.  The software needs heading for the columns or instructions on the screen because there was nothing to suggest I had to move the stats from the left to the right of the stat name!

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2014, 11:25:47 AM »
I'm glad the tip helped.
Thanks to the many questions about character creation on the forum, I am about to finish an updated version that includes a helpful "How to" box with tips at each step.
Hope you like it.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2015, 07:44:22 PM »
Thanks to the keen eye of vorceaar, tester of ERA for RMFRP, a miscalculation has been found in the rounding of stat bonuses.
I offer you a new version of ERA for RMFRP. Apart from the bonus correction, it also includes all updates available up to now in the RMC version.

http://goo.gl/RHU3xF [Windows]
http://goo.gl/xXrjcu [Linux]
http://goo.gl/PyEuzs [Mac]

For those who purchased the RMC files in RPGNow, but would like to give RMFRP a try, you can take advantage of some files that are compatible between versions.
You just need to copy the files with extension ".era" in the "AttackTables", "CriticalTables" and "Spells" directories from your RMC installation.
This is slightly risky unless you know what you are doing, so please have do backup before trying it. If you want help with this suggestion, please post in the advanced customization thread.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2015, 02:22:52 PM »
I finally took the chance to toy around with the sample ERA for RMFRP. Took me a while to get it started since I had trouble connection to the ERA server. But after a couple of restarts it finally worked. The program itself looked great and I am getting very eager to get the FRP version when it arrives. But the problem to connect to the ERA servers kept on bugging me. I don't really know why it keep doing that but after a couple of restarts it usually works but I hope it is something that will be ironed out.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2015, 06:16:00 PM »
It may take some seconds for the server to start, but I have not yet received any reports on erratic start-ups like the one you mention.
Please let me know which Operative System you are using. Also, I'd like to know if you see 2 boxes appearing on the server window. The first should say "ERA Server is starting, please wait" and the second one "ERA Server is ready". Afterwards your default browser should open automatically and show the module selection screen. All of this is assuming you accepted any firewall dialogs that may have popped up.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2015, 06:16:53 PM »
By request of the forum member Justin here is the first version of the ERA RMC Optional Rules document. I have only listed the Character Law optional rules so far, to allow you all to check the format and content and confirm that the information is presented in a clear and useful way.
Don't forget to post suggestions on how to improve this document, and also any ideas you might have on how to make this file available to the users (blog, included in RPGNow products, vault, etc.).
Thanks!

http://goo.gl/xdMHbd

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2015, 07:15:55 AM »
Last year, I decided to add the possibility for players to access the application with a smartphone / tablet, to check their character status, skills and spell descriptions, allowing even more paperwork to be done automatically.

Is this done by the players simply connecting to the server address?
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2015, 10:51:59 AM »
It may take some seconds for the server to start, but I have not yet received any reports on erratic start-ups like the one you mention.
Please let me know which Operative System you are using. Also, I'd like to know if you see 2 boxes appearing on the server window. The first should say "ERA Server is starting, please wait" and the second one "ERA Server is ready". Afterwards your default browser should open automatically and show the module selection screen. All of this is assuming you accepted any firewall dialogs that may have popped up.
I use Windows 7 and Google Chrome (but tried it with Internet Explorer too with the same result). After some testing I think I have found what the problem is. For some reason I need to have my browser window open before I start the ERA server. If I run the server before starting the browser it opens the browser for me but can't connect to the server even though the server says it is ready. But if I have the browser open before running the ERA server it seem to work almost all the times. :-)

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2015, 12:17:32 PM »
After some testing I think I have found what the problem is. For some reason I need to have my browser window open before I start the ERA server. If I run the server before starting the browser it opens the browser for me but can't connect to the server even though the server says it is ready. But if I have the browser open before running the ERA server it seem to work almost all the times. :-)

I just discovered this myself 2 nights ago.

Another question: How do I create the specific weapon skills underneath the categories, and the separate ranks of martial arts? I try editing the header and adding a skill (plus sign), but the stat bonuses don't come down, and cannot be edited on the individual line.
Oh there it is--in the category header.
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2015, 02:13:12 PM »
 If I was to make a guess it might have something to do with your firewall or virus software and you might have to enter the ERA program under the approved list/exception/allowed list.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2015, 09:15:42 PM »
Last year, I decided to add the possibility for players to access the application with a smartphone / tablet, to check their character status, skills and spell descriptions, allowing even more paperwork to be done automatically.

Is this done by the players simply connecting to the server address?

What you are looking for is the character status module, it can be accessed from the module selection screen just like the other features in ERA.
The only difference is that it is mainly designed to be accessed from the players' smartphones during play.
This tutorial video will get you started on how to use it.
Let me know if you have any questions about the module.

I use Windows 7 and Google Chrome (but tried it with Internet Explorer too with the same result). After some testing I think I have found what the problem is. For some reason I need to have my browser window open before I start the ERA server. If I run the server before starting the browser it opens the browser for me but can't connect to the server even though the server says it is ready. But if I have the browser open before running the ERA server it seem to work almost all the times. :-)

I know this has happened to me a few times. My guess is that it is related with the browser taking too long to start. The important thing is that if the server says it is started, then it certainly is.
When the startup of the server does not automatically open the module selection screen, it is useful to have a bookmark for it in your browser. So next time this happens you don't need to worry about the server, just click on your browser's bookmark and you're done.

Another question: How do I create the specific weapon skills underneath the categories, and the separate ranks of martial arts? I try editing the header and adding a skill (plus sign), but the stat bonuses don't come down, and cannot be edited on the individual line.
Oh there it is--in the category header.

I'd like to add something about creating skills.
There's an important parameter called "Resolution Table" when editing skills.
You can access it by clicking on the edit (pen) icon to the left of the skill, then choosing the update (cog) icon to the right of the name. Here you should write the exact name of the attack table in the case of weapon skills.
An easy way to check the attack tables installed is to go to the character creation module, skip to the weapon skill step and see the list of options in the Attack Table field.
The weapon skills that are built using the step during character creation will be correctly configured. The only manual input required is then when you want to add martial arts attack skills (or a weapon skill after character creation).

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »
The weapon skills that are built using the step during character creation will be correctly configured. The only manual input required is then when you want to add martial arts attack skills (or a weapon skill after character creation).
Does this mean you have to know that you want to use War Mattock, for example, while you're still in character creation?

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2015, 07:22:17 AM »
I know this has happened to me a few times. My guess is that it is related with the browser taking too long to start. The important thing is that if the server says it is started, then it certainly is.
When the startup of the server does not automatically open the module selection screen, it is useful to have a bookmark for it in your browser. So next time this happens you don't need to worry about the server, just click on your browser's bookmark and you're done.
Makes sense. I'll do just that. Thanks for the tip. Either way the program overall looks very useful. I just kicked off a new RMFRP campaign last week and we have our next session planned on Sat. We do use Combat Minion which is very helpful but once this get fully available for RMSS/FRP. I will get it for sure, since it looks very helpful with other stuff than combat. :-)

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2015, 06:04:17 PM »
The RMFRP version continues to improve.
http://goo.gl/RHU3xF [Windows]
http://goo.gl/xXrjcu [Linux]
http://goo.gl/PyEuzs [Mac]

What's new:
- The "About Box" now gives access to the list of installed components (races, professions, spell lists, attack tables, critical tables, fumble columns).
- RMFRP: Fixed DB due to Quickness. (thanks vorceaar)
- RMFRP: Fixed declared actions sequence. (thanks vorceaar)
- Changed skill table resolution from text field to combo box in character sheet module. Offensive skills will offer the installed attack tables as options. (thanks Justin)
- Improved clarification of units expected for height and weight in the character sheet module.

- New feature: Fumbles. Attack dialog will now notify the need to roll for fumble. The new fumble dialog offers all types defined, and logs the result after rolling.
The demo version includes 2 handed and animal fumbles. The RMC Arms Law package will be soon updated to include all tables.
As always, advanced users can add their own fumbles by editing the corresponding XML files.

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2015, 08:29:03 AM »
I'm sorry, but I'm confused. 
I see all this discussion about have ALL RMFRG options available.  When I click on the Windows link on the above post I get the ERA demo.  I have two races and two classes.

When I click on the RPGNow link, I see RMC options for purchase. 
How do I get a fully functional RMFRG ERA?

Mal

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2015, 11:54:16 AM »
removed..

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2015, 09:31:08 PM »
I'm sorry, but I'm confused. 
I see all this discussion about have ALL RMFRG options available.  When I click on the Windows link on the above post I get the ERA demo.  I have two races and two classes.

When I click on the RPGNow link, I see RMC options for purchase. 
How do I get a fully functional RMFRG ERA?

Mal

There are currently 2 rulesets available for ERA: RMC and RMFRP.

You can get the RMC version for free at RPGNow, and also purchase most of the tables from RMC Character Law, Arms Law and Spell Law.

The RMFRP version is not yet available for sale. In the meantime, I am providing the free beta of RMFRP for all to download, evaluate and comment, since I am constantly adding new features.

Both free versions have all the features necessary to play, since users can freely add XML configuration files to include their own races, professions, spells, attacks, criticals, fumbles, etc. BUT that requires advanced customization and some technical knowledge. The advanced customization thread explains more about this.

Also, since the results of attack tables and criticals is almost identical in RMC and RMFRP, you can download the RMFRP demo, purchase the Arms Law package and install it, and it should work with no additional tweaking. The same is true for Spell Law, which adds elemental attacks and tables. The only difference there is that the spell lists included, being from RMC, will have more "holes" in them than the ones that will eventually be offered for sale with the RMFRP Spell Law package. And of course in order to use professions and races not included in the demo you need to create your own XML files until the RMFRP Character Law is offered for sale.

Let me know if there is any additional clarification I can provide.

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2015, 09:21:10 AM »
what's rank binding in a skills advanced options?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2015, 06:04:45 PM »
what's rank binding in a skills advanced options?

The rank binding is a way of telling the application that a character won't be developing a certain skill, but instead should consider the number of ranks to be equal to another skill. The most typical example is Stalking -> Hiding. There are some uses for this feature mentioned in the optional rules document I uploaded some days ago.

You can also use rank bindings for defensive modifications. For example you can declare the agile defense and adrenal defense from Combat Companion by linking them to the number of ranks of your combat skills. When used from the defensive modification feature, you can specify a multiplier to apply to the number of ranks (i.e. Agile Defense x1, Adrenal Defense x3, Defensive Strike x2...).