Author Topic: Rolemaster Combat Minion - RM combat tracking software  (Read 120621 times)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Rolemaster Combat Minion - RM combat tracking software
« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2014, 08:05:46 PM »
Extras added after that will just be cream.

And after that, the sprinkles.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Lancafogo

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2014, 09:30:37 AM »
Apologies if I`ve missed my question previously covered......

I`m considering running this prog to see how it goes. It says it works across multi platforms...does that include ipads? If so, how do you download the necessary?

Also, I generally run Standard System and was wondering if there were any real differences to what this software provided. It could be that the majority of the tables are the same and it`ll work fine but I thought I`d ask.

Thanks.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2014, 10:35:22 AM »
Lancafogo,
 Welcome to the ICE Forums. I do not know the answers to yoru questions but I am sure the people that do or the dev will help you out.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Rolemaster GM since 1993.
« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »
Lancafogo, the licenced tables come in two packages; one for RM2/RMC and one for RMSS/FRP. The latter includes all the attack/critical tables from your system, and a few more. There is no difference between the Arms Law tables of RMFRP and RMSS. Although there are alternative tables for RMFRP, those are not the ones included. Arcane Companion tables and Martial Arts Companion tables from RMSS are included. In addition there are tables only ever relased for RMFRP, these are compatible with RMSS too.

Any device with a web browser can run Minion, as it runs in a browser window using Java. Just browse to the Minion page using the link in this thread. Once the page is loaded, the program is installed. You can tst it using the included, free tables (there are a couple), and I suggest you do, using your preferred device. If you like it, go for the RMSS/FRP packace and you'll have all you need. The app has worked surprisingly well for my group, speeding up combat significantly, despite the fact we already had a homebrew macro-infected spreadsheet to do a similar job. We're playing a hybrid RMSS/FRP system, and at this point we are very happy with the app.

Good luck!

Offline Lancafogo

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2014, 03:16:10 PM »
Thanks for the help. Sounds good. I'll give it a test on the ipad as I'm not sure it supports java. I guess we'll see!

Offline tulgurth

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2014, 12:29:58 AM »
Lanca,

The person to ask about the different platforms would be Merkir.  If you have patience, you will probably get a response out of him.  I would love to answer that question, but I did not right the program and it is above my pay grade as I am not a programmer, LOL.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #146 on: May 01, 2014, 08:25:28 AM »
I`m considering running this prog to see how it goes. It says it works across multi platforms...does that include ipads? If so, how do you download the necessary?

Also, I generally run Standard System and was wondering if there were any real differences to what this software provided. It could be that the majority of the tables are the same and it`ll work fine but I thought I`d ask.

It's been tested on the iPad. The app uses javascript, which is standard on all major web browsers. Just open the safari web browser on your iPad and go to:

www.web.com.au/rolemaster/minion

The free app comes with 6 RM Classic tables. Then, if you purchase the licensed table data you get all 200+ tables, for either of the two main systems, RM2/Classic or RMSS/FRP.

All details can be found in the original post here:

www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=14077.0

Offline Xusha of Dhelos

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Conisra
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2014, 05:44:58 AM »
I've been using minion for our last few sessions.

Really really useful. We're all playing online via skype so I can't even imagine how we would of pulled this off without minion.

3 quick points

1. When manually entering special crits, slaying etc, I notice the entry box is case sensitive. The severity must be all caps and the crit code must be lower case. Not a problem, but maybe worth mentioning on the notes as it took me a while to figure out what the problem was when I was manually entering codes, not adhering to this and getting error messages.

2. I'm convinced it would really add to the experience to allow my players to see my combat minion screen. One the one hand, there is a Russian roulette quality to rolling on attack tables and especially crits that is somewhat lost with you having to convey results to them rather than them being able to see for themselves. Also I miss the assistance of players with respecting to tracking whats going on, assisting me when I may have overlooked something, yes the software is tracking, but there still so much going on, stun, no parries, pens etc, and as it stands, since we are using minion, like it or not they are now hands off, and very passive, and its all down to me with nothing I can farm out/get a bit of help on in the heat of combat that can sometime involve lots of participants. I hope this makes sense? - not sure how well I expressed myself on this point but I hope other GMS take my meaning. Just wanted to raise this in case there was any chance of enabling players to have view only access to my live instance of RM combat minion.

I appreciate there is some kind of google hangouts work around that was previously mentioned. I have yet to try this, but if it means them viewing my screen, I'm not sure this is the solution giving all those things on my screen as a gm I don't wanted them seeing, i.e floorplans, gm notes etc.

3. Finally, any idea when the fumble tables are going to be updated? Just curious.

"One Roll To Rule Them All, And in the Darkness Bind Them."

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2014, 09:59:35 PM »
I've been using minion for our last few sessions.

Really really useful. We're all playing online via skype so I can't even imagine how we would of pulled this off without minion.

Thanks for the feedback.

1. When manually entering special crits, slaying etc, I notice the entry box is case sensitive. The severity must be all caps and the crit code must be lower case. Not a problem, but maybe worth mentioning on the notes as it took me a while to figure out what the problem was when I was manually entering codes, not adhering to this and getting error messages.

Good point. I'll add a line saying it's case sensitive.

2. I'm convinced it would really add to the experience to allow my players to see my combat minion screen. One the one hand, there is a Russian roulette quality to rolling on attack tables and especially crits that is somewhat lost with you having to convey results to them rather than them being able to see for themselves. Also I miss the assistance of players with respecting to tracking whats going on, assisting me when I may have overlooked something, yes the software is tracking, but there still so much going on, stun, no parries, pens etc, and as it stands, since we are using minion, like it or not they are now hands off, and very passive, and its all down to me with nothing I can farm out/get a bit of help on in the heat of combat that can sometime involve lots of participants. I hope this makes sense? - not sure how well I expressed myself on this point but I hope other GMS take my meaning. Just wanted to raise this in case there was any chance of enabling players to have view only access to my live instance of RM combat minion.

I appreciate there is some kind of google hangouts work around that was previously mentioned. I have yet to try this, but if it means them viewing my screen, I'm not sure this is the solution giving all those things on my screen as a gm I don't wanted them seeing, i.e floorplans, gm notes etc.

Actually you can just share the Minion window on google hangouts... from the hangouts docs: "Google+ Hangouts with Extras now provides a means of sharing your screen. You can share the entire screen or just one window."

3. Finally, any idea when the fumble tables are going to be updated? Just curious.

RL has taken over my gaming life recently. But I fully intend to continue the upgrades soon, and was half way through the fumbles component a few weeks ago.

Offline tulgurth

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #149 on: May 19, 2014, 11:39:31 PM »
Quit slacking Merkir.  LOL

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #150 on: May 19, 2014, 11:47:10 PM »
Ok, another week just got added ;)

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #151 on: May 20, 2014, 08:28:10 AM »
Minion Update - Correction to RM Classic Licensed Data

A correction to the RM Classic Licensed Tables data set has been posted. Anybody who has purchased a RM Classic License, please re-enter your licence details into the app to re-install the corrected table data. Use the "Install Licensed Tables" option from the menu. This does not apply to the RMSS/FRP licensed tables, which are correct.

Details: While playing our regular RM Classic session on Sunday, we found a mistake in the Claw / Talon table data. It was using the Fall / Crush data instead, which happened to be the table next to it in the rulebook. The data has now been corrected.

Offline Xusha of Dhelos

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Conisra
« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2014, 01:30:43 PM »
Thanks for the response Merkir.

We are playing tomorrow evening. I'll be trying the google hangouts/minion screen sharing.

I'll come back and post how that went.

BTW

...RL has taken over my gaming life recently...

This sounds unhealthy ;)
"One Roll To Rule Them All, And in the Darkness Bind Them."

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2014, 06:16:08 PM »
We are playing tomorrow evening. I'll be trying the google hangouts/minion screen sharing.

I'll come back and post how that went.

I'll be very interested in this feedback.

Offline mfvdd

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #154 on: May 26, 2014, 10:14:03 PM »
Sounds cool!
The only problem I have is that it is "web-based", I don't want to online when playing. I would like an app that can be used ONline OR OFFline.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #155 on: May 27, 2014, 12:21:03 AM »
Sounds cool!
The only problem I have is that it is "web-based", I don't want to online when playing. I would like an app that can be used ONline OR OFFline.

mfvdd, it's a web app. You download it once, then you never have to connect to the internet again. Ever. Use it offline as much as you like.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #156 on: May 28, 2014, 10:20:52 PM »
I just downloaded the license and put creature data in the NPC/Creature list. when I went back in to enter more the I had to reinstall the license and the data was gone. How do I save the data and bookmark to my current license?
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #157 on: May 28, 2014, 10:45:45 PM »
I just downloaded the license and put creature data in the NPC/Creature list. when I went back in to enter more the I had to reinstall the license and the data was gone. How do I save the data and bookmark to my current license?

The way you describe it, it sounds like when you went back in you were on a different browser, or a different PC/device. Is that correct? Note that each browser on each device will have it's own separate database of minion characters, and licensed data. Note that you can certainly backup and export from each browser, too, so please use that function so that the data you enter is not at risk. Hopefully it's just a matter for you to go back to the browser/PC/device you were using originally and export the data you've already typed in. Please let me know if this was the issue.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #158 on: May 29, 2014, 08:56:19 AM »
No it was the same browser, I put data in on creatures and had to shut it off. When I came back and went to get back into Minion, it was like starting over with just the freeware. I had to input my license again and all was lost, even after bookmarking it before I closed it. All 3 hours of creature data input down the drain... LOL
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #159 on: May 29, 2014, 09:45:34 AM »
Perhaps it is a setup on the browser that flushes whatever data was saved on the client side.

Merkir: How does it save the data? Does it use cookies?