Author Topic: Rolemaster Combat Minion - RM combat tracking software  (Read 118652 times)

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
Re: Rolemaster Combat Minion - RM combat tracking software
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2014, 07:27:05 AM »
So the next task will be to upgrade the table data files to include The Armory and Arcane Companion tables, and perhaps others. I will need help again to do this.

I've had a good look at the non-core tables provided by the dataset team. The good news is that I have the Mana and Void Bolt/Ball tables, but I only have a few of the Armory tables. Someone will need to provide the entire Armory table set. For that I will leave it up to the dataset team and/or other volunteers.

Secondly, we need to decide how they will appear in the drop down combo-box selects within Minion. Everyone can see the current combo-box selects by opening minion (www.web.com.au/rolemaster/minion), editing a character, and looking at the current weapon choices. For your convenience I've pasted below.

My idea would be to add five new weapon groups at the bottom of this list (actually above "No Attack") with the following labels, which identify them as Armory tables, and with the same categories as used in the Armory itself:

Armory - Blades
Armory - Japanese
Armory - Oriental
Armory - Pole Arms
Armory - Unusual

The Mana and Void Bolts/Balls I would put in the existing Directed Spell group.

If anyone has a better idea regarding how core and none-core tables should be grouped, please leave feedback.

Also, I see no reason why the Armory tables shouldn't be added to the RM2/Classic data file as well. If anyone has a reason why they shouldn't, please let me know.

Finally, and purely for my own edification, can someone tell me whether the Armory weapon tables are "balanced" compared to the core weapon tables. The context of this question is that I had a bad experience with a starting player using the Kynac (fantasy weapon), not realising at the time how unbalanced it was.

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Rolemaster GM since 1993.
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2014, 09:30:57 AM »
Kynac is a fantasy weapon with innate magical properties from Shadow World, much like the Irgaak.

The Armory provides balanced tables for real-world (well, mostly) weapons.
I've been playtesting them for years, none of my players prefer these to AL weapons for any reason related to power.
The Mullet and the Nodwick are, obviously, jokes, although there are situations where they may come in handy.

Now, this have been asked before, but the AL tables were taken from?
a)RMSS AL 1995?
b)RMFRP AL 1999?
c)RMFRP AL 2003?

The reason I ask is; any version preceding 2003 ed. is virtually the same.
2003 edition is streamlined with The Armory and both uses a slightly modified critical system; with this you choose the critical type rather than randomly generating it, before attacking. The attack is modified by attack type. For instance, Broadsword is a slashing weapon, but you can thrust with it, applying a -10 OB modifier. The armory tables are therefore missing the second letter in the entries (for instance, 21BS would be 21B). Also, the 2003ed version of the tables "skip over" two numbers per entry making them easier to read- for that reason, they are slightly less "granulated" then previous editions.

To be perfectly clear, this does not mean Minion needs any further customization in order to use the Armory tables (although it could certainly be done), but this makes the tables slightly less consistent with the tables in RMC because they don't offer randomized (or more precisely, varying) critical types.

Now, please tell me, have you received any of the attack tables from the Armory in json format, and if so, what tables? I might just sit down over the weekend and produce at last some of them. If you'd like, that is.

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2014, 09:31:28 AM »
Armory - Blades
Armory - Japanese
Armory - Oriental
Armory - Pole Arms
Armory - Unusual

This is fine, IMO

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2014, 09:32:12 AM »
I think there are a couple of elemental attack tables in Fire&Ice.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2014, 02:22:52 PM »
Hmm, that's right actually. Aether ball and bolt, air bolt, boulder, cold bolt, force bolt, nether ball and bolt, steam bolt attack tables, and aether and nether critical tables.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline shorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2014, 02:26:32 PM »
So the next task will be to upgrade the table data files to include The Armory and Arcane Companion tables, and perhaps others. I will need help again to do this.

I've had a good look at the non-core tables provided by the dataset team. The good news is that I have the Mana and Void Bolt/Ball tables, but I only have a few of the Armory tables. Someone will need to provide the entire Armory table set. For that I will leave it up to the dataset team and/or other volunteers....

I have put out an email to the rest of the team. There are a few tables to do though so if anyone has the tables in excel or wants to volunteer to help put the requested weapon tables/crits into excel for processing just PM me.

Offline Xusha of Dhelos

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Conisra
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2014, 04:10:09 PM »
This is exciting. To see the development process underway and feedback influence it.

Merkir,

My answer to one of your questions. Yes please do include the armory tables in Classic!

"One Roll To Rule Them All, And in the Darkness Bind Them."

Offline shorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2014, 06:23:24 PM »

Now, this have been asked before, but the AL tables were taken from?
a)RMSS AL 1995?
b)RMFRP AL 1999?
c)RMFRP AL 2003?

The reason I ask is; any version preceding 2003 ed. is virtually the same.
2003 edition is streamlined with The Armory and both uses a slightly modified critical system; with this you choose the critical type rather than randomly generating it, before attacking. The attack is modified by attack type. For instance, Broadsword is a slashing weapon, but you can thrust with it, applying a -10 OB modifier. The armory tables are therefore missing the second letter in the entries (for instance, 21BS would be 21B). Also, the 2003ed version of the tables "skip over" two numbers per entry making them easier to read- for that reason, they are slightly less "granulated" then previous editions.

It would be nice to know what version to use so the dataset team is all on the same page so to speak.

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2014, 06:45:57 PM »
There's only one version of The Armory. However, what I meant to ask was what version of Arms Law were used when making the RMSS/FRP files.

I'm curious about how the slightly different crit type mechanics were handled in RCM if Arms Law 2003 ed was used. Also, if the 1999ed was used, I'm curious about what exact differences there are between the datasets (RMC vs RMFRP sets), because I bought both of them and want to know which one to use as a basis for my own expansion once the tools are released for the the option to add custom tables.

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2014, 07:09:05 PM »
Never mind, I just got that question answered. Arms Law 1999 is the source of the RMSS/FRP tables already present in Minion. A note should be added that will express that primary criticals only are directly supported by Minion for Armory weapons. Anyone familiar with The Armory will know what to do when using these in Minion.

Adding these to RMC will pose no problems except the one mentioned above. It is kind of useful to know that one extra rule, otherwise the fact that e.g. Bastard Axe always deals Slash crits will seem inconsistent with other axes, and so on.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2014, 08:34:16 AM »
Now, please tell me, have you received any of the attack tables from the Armory in json format, and if so, what tables? I might just sit down over the weekend and produce at last some of them. If you'd like, that is.

It appears the four weapons I've been given in JSON format that I thought had come from the Armory, namely Katana, Long Sword, Three Section Staff and Wakizashi are not in fact from the Armory. The tables in JSON format and those in the Armory have different attack results.

So it's best if someone can give me all of the Armory weapon tables in JSON / minion format.  Anybody who is intending to work on this, please post on this forum so that we don't have duplication of work. Thanks in advance.

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2014, 10:25:25 AM »
We have the correct tables in excel format, I'm collaborating with shorn as I write this, in confirming and reconfirming all the data in said tables. Shorn received the file from someone. I had converted a few myself, but we are now using the file shorn received.

I trust shorn will convert them to json once the data quality is checked.

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2014, 11:13:13 AM »
Three-section staff, Katana and Wakisashi were all present in the Martial Arts companion. The data differed from The Armory tables. A few weapons were only ever published in MAC. I have only seen Longsword released in The Armory, I think, but I have seen it as a fan-made table years ago.

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2014, 02:35:52 PM »
I provided shorn with the file.  It just needs the macro modified to handle the latest Combat Minion format.  If someone can send me a sample weapon in the latest format, I will make the modifications.  It shouldn't take me long.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2014, 11:48:05 PM »
Rolemaster Combat Minion - NEW RELEASE

v1.2.1 (31 Mar 2014)
 - added attacker % penalty due to hits loss with option to disable
 - added version history

Offline Xusha of Dhelos

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Conisra
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2014, 02:26:18 AM »
Awesome. thank you!

And a couple of boxes on my character sheet just got obsoleted!

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2014, 05:17:53 AM »
This is most welcome, thank you again Merkir.

Offline Xusha of Dhelos

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Conisra
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2014, 06:37:31 AM »
Being playing around with Minion.

I entered a nebulous guard and named him 'Security Guard 1'.  I then cloned him. It automatically named the clone 'Security Guard 2'. very clever.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2014, 01:09:09 AM »
I trawled through the 23 pages of posts on the two main Minion threads to come up with what I believe to be the definitive ToDo list. The following is in approximate order of priority, with the understanding that it is highly unlikely that all of these will be actioned. Some of those listed will have very little demand, but I've included them anyway at the bottom of the list.

Minion ToDo List (in approximate order of priority)

Add The Armory and Arcane Companion tables
Large creature criticals including Holy, Mithril, Slaying etc.
Ability to add user-supplied tables
Fumbles & spell failures
Need the ability to clear a weapon when editing characters
Base attack spells table / lookup
PP usage tracking, also possibly ammo, rations & other expendables
Button to clear all PC wounds (and NPC wounds?)
Changes to the Encounter Log:
        Allow GM to add placeholders / actions / additional text to the Encounter Log
        Add a new option to select encounter log verbosity (Eg. higher level would include parry amounts, etc.)
Resistance Rolls - new RR fields from chars, and dice rolls popup
"Miscellaneous" d100 & d100-OE dice rolls for the GM
Game world Calendar / Clock, possibly with future world event alarms
Experience tracking, or, a wounds log to be used by GM for a similar purpose
Show active spells and duration remaining
Fatigue / Exhaustion points
A separately purchased "Creatures & Monsters" NPC database license
Encumbrance
Weapon damage for non-breaking fumbles
User defined table modifiers (eg. to "stretch" a 150 max table to 200 or 250)
A version of Minion for Players

Offline Vurkanan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2014, 12:09:01 PM »
I took the liberty of making the todo list into a poll