Forum > Order of the Iron Crown

Help spread the word about ICE games!

<< < (4/4)

arakish:
And then you have a store like here in Albuquerque.  Try to mention any other rpg system except DnD and you are all but asked to leave the store.  Even when I was willing to rent a table to run a Rolemaster game, I was refused.  That store (I forget name) must make enough money renting to DnDers they can refuse others.  A$$ wipes.

rmfr

Bruce:

--- Quote from: arakish on November 12, 2013, 10:22:52 AM ---And then you have a store like here in Albuquerque.  Try to mention any other rpg system except DnD and you are all but asked to leave the store.  Even when I was willing to rent a table to run a Rolemaster game, I was refused.  That store (I forget name) must make enough money renting to DnDers they can refuse others.  A$$ wipes.

rmfr

--- End quote ---
You should boycott the store. I wonder if they have a web or facebook page....hmmmm.
That is bad business, if they barely make enough to keep the store open one would think they would be willing to have other games run there to hopefully bring in more people and bring in more revenue. I have never run into a place like that.

The game store I play at, Lightspeed Hobbies on rt 6, allows anyone to run any game on the open tables nights. This includes RPG's, board games, miniature games, etc... Other nights they have different tournaments. The owner wants more people to come in and use his store to play games as he knows that brings in more revenue. Even with that he barely makes ends meet at the store. Oh and by the way, he doesn't rent the tables, it is all free and on a first come first serve basis.
The only thing I wish he could change is his hours. He closes at about 830pm every night, even weekends. Now he does sometimes let us play the game until later (the latest was about 10pm). My previous experiences with running a game at hobby stores is they are usually open until about 1 or 2am. And in those days my games ran until closing. But I understand there are other things that make it difficult to stay open after certain times.

Bruce

Thom @ ICE:
There are many stores that only allow games that they sell to be played inside their store.  This is understandable as the purpose of allowing the game play in their real estate is to encourage product sales.  It could be said that simply encouraging rpg play is beneficial to their business, but they may not agree that it would be worth the investment.

We're still working on the solution, and the biggest key is to have a product release big enough to support the inventory build so  it is unlikely to go into effect until we are prepared to release Rolemaster in a final print run.  We wish it could be sooner, but it needs to work on the first shot otherwise we negatively impact the stores from considering to participate in the future.

Thom

arakish:

--- Quote from: Bruce on November 12, 2013, 10:56:34 AM ---
--- Quote from: arakish on November 12, 2013, 10:22:52 AM ---And then you have a store like here in Albuquerque.  Try to mention any other rpg system except DnD and you are all but asked to leave the store.  Even when I was willing to rent a table to run a Rolemaster game, I was refused.  That store (I forget name) must make enough money renting to DnDers they can refuse others.  A$$ wipes.

rmfr

--- End quote ---

You should boycott the store. I wonder if they have a web or facebook page....hmmmm.
That is bad business,...
--- End quote ---

I did boycott the store.  I found the store just three weeks after I moved to ABQ, NM in January 2004.  I never went back.

I just did a search...  And lo and behold, the store no longer exists.  Now the only type of "gaming" stores that exist here are video game stores like Game Stop, etc.

rmfr

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version