Forum > Order of the Iron Crown

Brainstorming Corner

(1/5) > >>

PhillipAEllis:
I don't know if this will work, but I'm inviting us to get together in this thread and throw out ideas for promoting Rolemaster/HARP/etcetera among our fellow gamers, etcetera.

For example:

* what about making Youtube videos of portions of our gaming sessions, enabling comments, to show the relevant game in action? Then passing along the relevant details to Colin....

Voriig Kye:
Ok, this may sound silly, but you asked for it.
One of the strengths I see in the RM System is that is "models life better than other games". With this I mean that rules seem more logical, and many times I've joked with my friend about how some situations could be interpreted as RM fumbles, criticals, skill difficulties, etc.
So maybe there could be a section where people could for example tell how a TV show or a movie would map to RM (any version, or even a comparative between how a combat scene might be resolved under RM2, RMFRP, RMU). This, if it where to have visibility outside the forum and could be found via google searches (I'm thinking your new blog may be of use in this respect), could help create the idea of using RM for any kind of adventures.

PhillipAEllis:
Don't worry about sounding silly: the thread's for our ideas, and one person's ideas could inspire many more to explore others. To give you an example of a riff off of your idea, I could say something like: as a blog post we could take a scene or encounter from a famous book or movie, and give a breakdown of it as if it were a Rolemaster or HARP encounter (such as the encounter between the certain wicked witch and the water from The Wizard of Oz using Acid criticals). See what I mean?

It's not whether the idea is good or bad but rather the idea itself, and how we can later come back to this thread for inspiration and the starting points of our efforts.

Thank you!

markc:
Voriig Kye,
 I myself love the idea.
+1 Idea Point
MDC

GrumpyOldFart:
One of the really cool things about combat maneuvers and such is that there are SCA fighters I know personally that I could probably put on a character sheet for RM or HARP and have them be instantly recognizable to any gamer who knows them.

There's enough cross-pollination between gamers and various reenactment groups that it might be good to try to map their uber-well-known people to given systems for the purpose of advertising. While I can't prove it, I strongly suspect that "models life better than other games" carries more weight with gamers in reenactment groups than elsewhere, for the obvious reasons.

Given that, you may want to not only map movie scenes to RM/HARP, but existing YouTube videos of reenactors doing their thing out on the field. Find some Crown Tourney bout between two skilled and well known (within their circle) fighters and lay out the character sheets and a round-by-round progression.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version