Author Topic: From Kulthea to Elanthia  (Read 1622 times)

Offline windmarkbob

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Advocatus Diaboli
From Kulthea to Elanthia
« on: July 18, 2013, 10:33:44 PM »
Terry, out of curiosity...

What in the world happened that caused Kulthea to die along with the RM rules in the engine of GemStone III about 15 years ago, and do you know if there are any plans to take Shadow World back into the world of online gaming, perhaps using the Hero Engine license from Simutronics (or whoever owns it now)?

Thanks, and keep on keepin' on.

Bob
The Uncouth One

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Re: From Kulthea to Elanthia
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 03:32:23 AM »
Terry, out of curiosity...

What in the world happened that caused Kulthea to die along with the RM rules in the engine of GemStone III about 15 years ago, and do you know if there are any plans to take Shadow World back into the world of online gaming, perhaps using the Hero Engine license from Simutronics (or whoever owns it now)?

Thanks, and keep on keepin' on.

Bob

To be honest, I was never that involved with the Gemstone (Kesmai?) guys, and I never even played the online game (I've never been that big of a player of games like WoW, but that's another story). I think Coleman and Pete dealt with them mainly. As far as I remember, there was an amicable split, but I can't for the life of me remember the reasons why.

I'd certainly be supportive of an online SW game (I hear there's one for Numenera that did kind of okay on a recent kickstarter :o), but it's not really my strength.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 12:55:13 PM »
Well, the fact is that RM would do well as an online game system. ( Yes I know of the might have been with DAOC ) 
It wouldn't even need to be heavily modified for online gaming, even today.

And with Shadow World added to it it has a hit potential... As long as the right development company is found. ( look at what happens/ed to Neverwinter Online ( Basically D&D 4th Edition online ), Dungeons and Dragons Online ( 3.5 ish ... erm not anymore ), and several other games )

514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 03:24:21 AM »
Well, if you know anyone who might be interested in using SW as an environment for an online game system, hook us up!  :D
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 03:39:13 AM »
RM would be an incredible system to use for a MMORPG.  I mean, you get RM without having to look up all the results - the game'd do it for you.  What's not to love about that?

The character diversity would be amazing, although it would almost surely be toned back a bit on all the skills.  Shadowbane was an amazing character building system, if they hadn't of screwed up the launch by allowing the beta guilds to utterly and completely dominate the game it might have gone further than it did.

But... I quit playing online games about 8-9 years ago.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss