Forum > Order of the Iron Crown

Spell Law Submissions

<< < (2/6) > >>

Dougansf:
Around level 24, we are defending a ruined tower from an oncoming army of goblins and orcs.  The tower is in a large valley, dubbed Dinosaur valley due to it's primary inhabitants being all kinds of dinosaurs that can't make it out of the valley.

I cast Ranger Nature Summons - Mass Summons to get 20+ nearby triceratops as Guardians.  I then proceed to fly above and through the oncoming army, trailing several tons of stampeding death through the ranks.

Considering this was a long, drawn out battle, power conservation was the name of the game.  I killed countless mooks for a little more than the cost of a single Fireball.

GrumpyOldFart:
It has been so long ago that I don't remember who they were or what the scenarios were. It may have been RM1.

Religious Healers don't just heal wounds, they transfer them. If the Healer touches you in transfer he doesn't just heal X amount of damage, the entire wound goes away.

The major effects this had in my game were twofold, one that become common among Healers and one that was specific to a particular sect.

In general, players of Healers tended to learn MA Sweeps and Throws, and Tumbling skills. They didn't wait for the battle to be over before healing people, they'd grab a fallen comrade from the middle of a melee and attempt to roll out from under with him. If they succeeded in transferring his wounds, the guy your foes had just worked so hard to put down suddenly goes from hors de combat to 'fresh'. This has nice effects on enemy morale.

"Did you see those guys? They just popped up out of the snow! Like daisies!" - Mushu

In specific... well, the followers of the War God are not allowed to heal, not under any circumstances. However they still have a 'Healer' class, even though they do not actually heal, they only transfer.... and hold for opportunity fire.

It takes a real fanatic to be a Healer of the War God, because transfer is solely by touch, and of course if you haven't managed to transfer that wound away within 1 rd/level, it's yours to keep. And you can't learn magical healing, no one of your religion can.

:o

yammahoper:
RM fumble tables are fun, but rarely lethal.  The spell funble tables are far more hazardous to PC's than the arms.  This story is about a player who clearly saw this fact and proceeded to weaponize the spell law fumble rules in his favor.

Typical fantasy setting, middle ages like, with a big bad evil empire in the north ruled by some sorcerous villian intent on conquering everyone.  The party had an encounter with the Vile King and His Vile: it went bad, and Chuck lost his PC.

It turns out this disgruntled Chuck.  Maybe in our post game discussion me telling him that his PC was not meant to ever be able to beat the Vile King and the ending was all but obvious when he took him on.  Well, Chuck is a Vietnam vet/retired Marine and just didn't buy that.  Everyone can be taken.  So he asked to borrow ALL my character creation books to make his new PC.  I had no problem with that, though I was surprised he wanted Spell Law and the spell companions, as Chuck always played a fighter type.

Chuck came back with a neat Mage.  One of his talents was a spell list to level 50, and as always, a very good background story to explain his orgin, all talents and flaws, how he got into magic and training as a mage, my requested family information, etc.  All was in order, and we all were a bit curious about how the Hammer Chuck would play his mage.  Oh I was oblivious.

Time passes.  Soon the mage is around level 8 and just hitting his stride.  Chuck convinced everyone to travel to the north kingdom and seek rewards hunting villians, in the guise they could save those villians, and rescue captured soldiers and civilians now slaves in the north.  Most of the party was mid teen or better in levels, with very good shifting magic and the like, so off they went.

Now the mage was around level 12, and Chuck accepted an invite to a party at the Kings Castle.  At this party, Chuck gave a speech...and fireballed the guest, many family and VIP's of King.  It was a slaughter, but enter the Vile and the King, and things looked like teleport time, if ya know what I mean GM's.

But Chuck did not run or flee or teleport.  He anounced he was closing on the King.  Well, ok, and as he advanced the Lich reveals itself and laughs at this puny mortal.  Chuck though, he just says, rather quietly, he is casting a snap spell (I use snap, normal and deliberate actions, not phases, and the asctions recieve init mods of +10, +0 and -10).

Now, if you look at the old RM2 ESF rules, a failed ESF mnv adds the ESF mod to the fumble roll.  Likewise, a failed SCSM in RMFRP can triple mods from the table and add those to the fumble roll.  Otherwise, spell fumbles are normally not open ended, but modified.  Chucks total mods were in excess of +300, which means he would max the fumble at 251+ on the Arcane Elemental Funble Column.  This results in a 50' glass hole in the ground with everything in the area of effect vaporized.  Chuck then stands up and points at me, with a now very red face says with glee, "I GOT HIM!"

And he had.  The Lich Kings phylactary was inside the now also vaporized Vile...along with several party members (it was a group of five).  None of that mattered.  The terrible evil of the north had just been vanquished, Marine Style.  They all became legends, and in one shot, ended one of my home brewed game worlds.  As Chuck said to me later, in the hands of a Marine, everything is a potential weapon.

(Chuck ended his tour in nam and was a drill instructor sergeant for many years.  He was the stereotypical jar head, and proud of it, hurah)

GrumpyOldFart:
The basics of understanding a Marine are simple: They run toward the screaming, not away from it.

;)

Rochndil:
That reminds me of a truly great line in one of Terry Pratchett's earlier works.

"Yes, [a significant portion of the world would have been reduced to glowing slag] but we would have WON!"

Rochndil, who knows there's no such thing as "unkillable" to a determined player...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version