Forum > Order of the Iron Crown

Spell Law Submissions

<< < (6/6)

GrumpyOldFart:
It was RM1, and the GM had a houserule that casters of the Mentalist realm required no external flourishes. No hand waving, no words, no fancy dances, just be aware of your target and pay attention.

It's been so long ago I can no longer remember who she was, what the party composition was, or what they were fighting. Only that she was a Mentalist, and that she got an injury during a fight that left her paralyzed from the neck down.

Out of the combat? Not on your life, this was a Mentalist. Any time a bad guy came through her field of vision she'd Mind Store it. After that there wasn't any place it could hide from her.

Whatever we were facing, it was pretty nasty, and wounded a lot more than just her. It probably would have gone very badly had it not been for the effect on enemy morale of an enemy they couldn't see (they could, she was lying right out on the floor with a broken neck, they just didn't realize it was her) and couldn't defend against.

They could have had us, they really could have, we were bad off. But instead they ran away.

chippermonks:
Players love it when a GM is really inventive. You know? When you design an excellent character or plot hook that the players just grab on too.... As a GM, the most ingenutive players I have met used mentalism (often bards or mentalists of of course) and they cause no end of trouble to me....In my mind, mentalism users are those players that like to make my NPCs dance naked in the streets and bend my plot hooks with their little psychic brains!

This particular player and his party were investigating a mysterious plague that wiped out a small village, and as members of the kings army they were assigned to solve this mystery! Esau, the graduate level intern, was a budding young mentalist who was in charge of contacting base with updated reports, as well as act as a liaison between intelligence and this recon squad. The Intelligence bureau had reason to believe an organization known as "the militia of the wind" had been using forbidden magic to release this plague at choice sites, all under the instruction of Dustin Lance, the exiled necromancer.

Searching through the ruins of the village they came across a group of soldiers wearing hardier travel gear then is standard issue. They said they were passing through when they found the village and were investigating on behalf of the Kings Army...The party was not informed of any other squads in this region and were convinced that these men were not who they say they were....

Esau, the graduate level intern, walked forward and held out his hand cheerfully and said "My name is Esau, nice to meet you, captain....?"
The soldier-who-wasn't-a-soldier reached out and clasped hands with the party mentalist whom responded with some name I can hardly remmeber because the next thing that happens is

--- Quote ---Esau: I cast question
Me: ....really?
Esau: Yup, I say "Who do you work for?"

--- End quote ---
I sigh and pray the dice are in my favor, but to no avail! I drop my head on the table and curse his name! "You dirty bastard! you tricked me into letting you touch him! if it weren't for that touch-penalty I would have made it!"

The soldier shouts out "I work for the militia of the wind.....o damn" and the fight ensues, leading to the slaughter of that enemy squad.

Mentalism users are so dirty!

Eldritch Cheese:
First, the setting.  We're on a boat.  A calm, peaceful ride.

Next, the danger.  The moon starts dripping blood.  Strange creatures from below the sea begin to emerge from the depths, dripping and oozing their way onto the boat.  The first wave of combat goes by.  The creatures are repelled from the deck, but much of the party is left exhausted.

The twist.  The hull has been torn in many places, and the boat is sinking.  Within minutes

The panic.  The crew boards the only life boat.  A party member falls off the crow's nest, and is saved by an impromptu flight spell by another party member.  Someone runs into the invisible pet fire elemental we snuck onto the flammable wooden boat, negating the invisibility.  The flying party member thinks that he has spontaneously learned to fly and forgets about the 4 minute limitation.  A fumbled Leadership roll convinces the crew members that we are to blame for everything, and they sail off without us.

In retrospect, the crew members are not really that wrong about us, though everything we did was by pure incompetence.

The situation.  On a sinking boat nowhere near shore with hungry things in the water and a crew that has left us to die.

The solution?  Prayer circle.  To the complete and utter disgust of the GM, the party sits down and begins to pray.  To the god of the sea, for safe passage?  Nope.  To the god of the afterlife to have pity, or at least to chuckle at us?  Nope.  To the Fire God, whose only desire is to engulf the world in flame?  It seemed like a good idea at the time.  We had two religious members of the party, and it was either the God of Fire, or the God of Chicken.

Now, we roll well.  We roll very well.  In every GM's heart, there is a number, which when rolled above, can cause anything to happen.  We must have rolled above that number on that day, for the prayer circle was transported through a land of fire and lava, onto a deserted island.

Each of us felt a booming voice in our heads, shouting out the reason that we were saved.  In all the world, there are those who start fires, those who put out fires, and those who burn.  We had been brought through fire because we were those who would always bring more fire to the world.

Thinking back, we realized that we had never left a city without our backs warmed by the soft glow of houses in the distance.

Marrethiel:
I had a character that had a ring that could be used to change my apparent class, race and level to what ever I wanted, when some one used an information gathering spell on me. Nice, but not too scary.
I was playing a conjurer with circles of power. We were being hunted by the Enemy and were at a loss on how to win the next battle. So I used a relatively low level illusion spell to make me look like a Black Stalker (high level undead that walks towards its prey and never rests). However I made myself Grey and showed some spell casting capabilities. The enemy commander was over heard saying, "what idiot gave Black Stalkers magic?"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version