Forum > Order of the Iron Crown

The Winners!

<< < (2/5) > >>

Thom @ ICE:
This week was a difficult selection. Lots of great tales of comedic value; flying spiders who go splat, foolhardy thieves trying to shoot people in the back, and bloodthirsty dwarves attacking orcs and opossum....

But the one found to have classic comedic value, was one that referenced the classic - unseen, imaginary, deceased turtle ruining the perfect plan.

--- Quote from: Peter Mork on August 07, 2012, 06:32:42 AM ---We've always interpreted Rolemaster dragons as having incredible senses: If you're invisible, they'll hear you moving about; if you're silent, they'll feel your feet touching the ground; etc.

So, the party was ecstatic when they finally arranged a flawless ambush. The rogue had the Background Option that ensured he had no discernible odor. He was both Invisible and Silent. He was Flying, drifting on a magically summoned breeze. The dragon could not smell, see, hear, or even feel the rogue's presence. The party even arranged a distraction so that the dragon was busy casting counter-spells and could not spend a round casting Presence.

The rogue had maneuvered into a perfect position, floating above the dragon's back, a dwarven axe in hand. His ambush maneuver was flawless, and with forty-plus ranks of ambush, an open-ended critical was not unlikely. Given his OB, positional modifiers, and surprise, he couldn't fail to max the chart.

Until.

He fumbled. Somehow, despite his improbable position, he stumbled over an unseen, imaginary, deceased turtle and (this was probably pure malice on the GM's part) dropped his axe.

The next session was spent plotting a way to recover enough of the poor rogue's body to restore him to life.

--- End quote ---

Next week - non-Fantasy settings... So bring out your favorite examples of arms law impacting your non-Fantasy game play....

markc:
Congrats on the win, Peter Mork.
MDC

Erik Sharma:
Grats Mork! If anyone would win ofcourse it would be the infamous unseen, imaginary, deseased turtle. That pesky turtle must have haunted every RM/MERP group in one way or another.  ;D

Thom @ ICE:
This week the winning post was from JimiSue, and was from a Spacemaster game, but the reason why it won was how well it covered the Rolemaster system of combat, with modifiers and a critical, and most importantly a great bit of roleplaying.

--- Quote from: JimiSue on August 07, 2012, 05:33:15 PM ---I was playing an Anarchist, and another player a Con Artist in a game of sub-legality. We were level 7 or 8 or so. My character was a schemer for sure, an explosives expert, yes, but also pretty darn good with a stun pistol - although in that entire game I had always rolled really poorly with it, so no one believed she was any good.

My character had something (I forget what) that the con artist wanted, and decided that to pass the time on the long hyperspace journey that he would try and steal it from her cabin while she was asleep. He managed to get the cabin door open, but as a paranoid schemer I had previously stipulated to the GM that I would get the computer set up to sound an alarm if the door was opened, and that she always slept with a stun pistol under her pillow.

So my character woke up, the GM gave me penalties for being groggy, and also because I said I didn't bother really opening mty eyes, i'd just shoot towards that bright glare, but I rolled open ended high, and with my OB it was enough to max out even after penalties. Only a mk 2 weapon so it maxes at 110, did a few hits and an A stun critical. Other player doesn't look too worried. A stun results are not too bad on the grand scale of critical results.

Then I roll a 97, and his character got knocked back out of the room, and was down and stunned for a significant number of rounds. My character just muttered "I *said* I didn't want to be disturbed!", ordered the computer to relock the door and went back to sleep.

She wasn't bothered again :)

--- End quote ---

JimiSue:

--- Quote from: Thom @ ICE on August 27, 2012, 09:53:06 PM ---This week the winning post was from JimiSue, and was from a Spacemaster game, but the reason why it won was how well it covered the Rolemaster system of combat, with modifiers and a critical, and most importantly a great bit of roleplaying.
--- End quote ---

Thanks, I feel so special <sniff> :)

I must remember to say thanks to my mate John who was playing the other character, for making it possible to relate now, 20 years down the line :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version