Author Topic: Map(s) of Cyradon and Belynar  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
Map(s) of Cyradon and Belynar
« on: September 07, 2011, 12:12:24 PM »
While I am still at it, I observed that there are several small differences between the Cyradon maps. I found it interesting to see how it evolved in time. In the Cyradon book, there are at least two maps of the continent (maybe a third one, but I don't have the book with me), one in grayscale the other as a colour poster (with so many details and point of interest!).

For example, the name of the Five cities of the Nagaral are different. I assume the grayscale one is the more up to date one, as the names sound more "nagah-ish" like. (?)

Also, in one of RM book, there is an add about the Cyradon setting (before it was released). The picture with the text depicts a kind of front view of Belynar (as an observer standing close to the Main Gate). Unfortunately, this picture was not in the Cyradon book. There is a thumbnail of a similar view on the Belynar poster, but the add picture gives a more impressive view of the volcano and the city. If possible, I think this one should be included in a future release.

And I remember this picture had a thumbnail view of the inside of Mount Belnos. This is great because I've always wanted to get my players inside of the mount but I couldn't figure out how to design it. At least, this gives a basis.

Finally, are there some information somewhere about the height of Mount Belnos? I'm trying to make a 3D map (more accurately, an elevation map) of Cyradon and it is not easy to figure out the height of the different mountain ranges. Thanks!
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: Map(s) of Cyradon and Belynar
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 02:45:52 PM »
We'll look into the image comments and see what can be done, however to answer your question about Mount Belnos - it is not formally written in anywhere in the files I have, however in reviewing certain geological facts that are available (either in the text or the images) we have come up with 3,000 feet as the height.  I hope that answers your questions.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 05:04:32 PM »
 You might also check and see if the artists are the same person as I think the artist changed during the project.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 02:33:10 PM »
We'll look into the image comments and see what can be done, however to answer your question about Mount Belnos - it is not formally written in anywhere in the files I have, however in reviewing certain geological facts that are available (either in the text or the images) we have come up with 3,000 feet as the height.  I hope that answers your questions.

0_o Thanks for taking the time to look this up! It gives me something to start from.

You might also check and see if the artists are the same person as I think the artist changed during the project.
MDC

I confirm: the final version of the map was made by Jonathan White. I finally found the book in which I saw the first version: Construct Companion (2003). Obviously, the design is not the same. The artist's name is a little bit hard to read. Maybe it can be reworked, but still really great to get an idea of the size of the city.

I have another comment about the maps. In the close up of Belynar, there is a port just outside of the main entrance. The body of water at its feet is referenced as the Camal Sea. On the Cyradon continent map, the Camal Sea is much more farther. As the text is quite clear that the two are very close, I find it strange to see such a distance on the bigger map.
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.