Forum > General Discussion

The Threats Abound

(1/3) > >>

arakish:
Here is something EYE-OPENING.

Just went looking over the logs on my Linux-SGI workstation machine which I proxy through and found this.

Since I use (from what I am told) an Enterprise version of Symantec's protection software (I just let the IT guys install and update it over the Internet), the above is a listing of "Identity Threat Assessments Protected" on a per month basis.  My log file only keeps the last six months per my orders.  (I just did look at this logfile when one of the IT guys told me about it.)

However, is it not astonishing, flabbergasting, stupifying? on how many ID threats there are to little old me?  Per month?  Where in 7734 did I warrant that much attention from hackers?

Damnit!  I don't make enough money to warrant this.  In my Southern Dialect, "And me credit ain't that damned good!"  Not when working for the State of New Mexico.  One of the poorest, if not poorest, states in our great nation.

Then again, with almost 7e9 people on the planet, the above only represents about 0.06% (0.0006 decimal) of the population of the entire world.

Just thought y'all liked to know.

rmfr

Cory Magel:
I just had an interesting conversation with someone who claimed to be trying to help me with my computer the other day.

Supposedly he was with a support group that was calling to help my mother correct a problem with her computer.  I was there and she thought it sounded odd so she asked me to talk to them.  He claimed there was a problem with her windows program on her computer and that they were calling us to fix it.  I asked if he worked for Mircosoft and he said no.  I asked why he was calling to fix a Windows problem then and he said they had received information from her computer that there was a problem with Windows.  I asked how they would received this kind of information if they didn't work for Microsoft.  He said he worked for the company that manufactured her computer (I didn't bother asking who that supposedly was at that point).  So I said "So, you work for the company that built my mothers computer and you claim to be calling her to help her fix a problem with Windows that you supposedly received information remotely from?"  He, of course, said yes and if I'd just hit a certain combination of buttons, etc, etc, etc.

Obviously this was a scam.  He didn't know who built her computer, they weren't affiliated with Microsoft, he was calling a phone number that is unlisted and on the Do Not Call registry and I told him I wasn't about to do anything to my computer at the request of someone that called me in general let alone someone as fishy as him.  They had to have been calling randomly with their story... I mean, really, how long before you get someone with a Windows based computer that has a slow connection?  You gotta love their audacity tho.

yammahoper:

--- Quote from: arakish on July 16, 2011, 02:06:06 AM ---Here is something EYE-OPENING.

Just went looking over the logs on my Linux-SGI workstation machine which I proxy through and found this.

Since I use (from what I am told) an Enterprise version of Symantec's protection software (I just let the IT guys install and update it over the Internet), the above is a listing of "Identity Threat Assessments Protected" on a per month basis.  My log file only keeps the last six months per my orders.  (I just did look at this logfile when one of the IT guys told me about it.)

However, is it not astonishing, flabbergasting, stupifying? on how many ID threats there are to little old me?  Per month?  Where in 7734 did I warrant that much attention from hackers?

Damnit!  I don't make enough money to warrant this.  In my Southern Dialect, "And me credit ain't that damned good!"  Not when working for the State of New Mexico.  One of the poorest, if not poorest, states in our great nation.

Then again, with almost 7e9 people on the planet, the above only represents about 0.06% (0.0006 decimal) of the population of the entire world.

rmfr

--- End quote ---

Funny.

Arakish, you are a wondereful geek!.  I like you.

Google Deadmilkmen, song Steward, to hear an official I LIKE YOU.

markc:

--- Quote from: Cory Magel on July 16, 2011, 06:28:50 AM ---I just had an interesting conversation with someone who claimed to be trying to help me with my computer the other day.

Supposedly he was with a support group that was calling to help my mother correct a problem with her computer.  I was there and she thought it sounded odd so she asked me to talk to them.  He claimed there was a problem with her windows program on her computer and that they were calling us to fix it.  I asked if he worked for Mircosoft and he said no.  I asked why he was calling to fix a Windows problem then and he said they had received information from her computer that there was a problem with Windows.  I asked how they would received this kind of information if they didn't work for Microsoft.  He said he worked for the company that manufactured her computer (I didn't bother asking who that supposedly was at that point).  So I said "So, you work for the company that built my mothers computer and you claim to be calling her to help her fix a problem with Windows that you supposedly received information remotely from?"  He, of course, said yes and if I'd just hit a certain combination of buttons, etc, etc, etc.

Obviously this was a scam.  He didn't know who built her computer, they weren't affiliated with Microsoft, he was calling a phone number that is unlisted and on the Do Not Call registry and I told him I wasn't about to do anything to my computer at the request of someone that called me in general let alone someone as fishy as him.  They had to have been calling randomly with their story... I mean, really, how long before you get someone with a Windows based computer that has a slow connection?  You gotta love their audacity tho.

--- End quote ---

This was a big problem in OR and WA a few weeks ago and they did a story on the news and in the paper.
MDC

markc:

--- Quote from: arakish on July 16, 2011, 02:06:06 AM ---Here is something EYE-OPENING.

rmfr

--- End quote ---

IMHO you provided a key phrase ....... working for the state of New Mexico as well as they type of computer you work with.  Hackers are trying to get into any computer but especially more powerful comps and government comps.
Even then it is eye opening all the crazy stuff that have to be protected against.
MDC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version