Author Topic: SM: Privateers VM Construction & Design: Power Source - Fuel  (Read 1193 times)

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
SM: Privateers VM Construction & Design: Power Source - Fuel
« on: March 08, 2011, 02:15:45 PM »
I'm making sure I've got the Fuel section down correctly for the Second Generation, Ion, and Fusion drives. All I have to do here is calculate the cost from the fuel mass calculations right?

Per p. 116 the Hyperdrive fuel cost calculated based on the number of light years the ship moves. The number used would be taken from the Hyperdrive Ratings chart, p. 105, listed under the Translight displacement (LY/day) column, right?

Matter/Antimatter Reactor Fuel cost, p. 115, is based on the mass of the Antimatter. Is the Matter/Antimatter Reactor Chart the fuel mass just for the antimatter or for both matter and antimatter?
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: SM: Privateers VM Construction & Design: Power Source - Fuel
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 02:42:45 PM »
I'm making sure I've got the Fuel section down correctly for the Second Generation, Ion, and Fusion drives. All I have to do here is calculate the cost from the fuel mass calculations right?

I have not seen your work so I cannot know if you have done it right or not or just where you are at in the calculations. You can enter in some data and see if you get the right result as that is the best way to test things out.

Per p. 116 the Hyperdrive fuel cost calculated based on the number of light years the ship moves. The number used would be taken from the Hyperdrive Ratings chart, p. 105, listed under the Translight displacement (LY/day) column, right?

The cost of the fuel is how much fuel the vehicle tends to carry in its hyper Drive Fuel Tank.

Matter/Antimatter Reactor Fuel cost, p. 115, is based on the mass of the Antimatter. Is the Matter/Antimatter Reactor Chart the fuel mass just for the antimatter or for both matter and antimatter?

The chart on page 116 is for the designer to add the M/AM fuels; mass and volume to the ships mass a volume. The cost is per how much fuel is in the M/AM fuel tank.

Does that make sense?

Also was the question that you are trying to get just the cost of the fuel done right now and then you will move onto the reactors themselves?

Also IMHO it would have been better to figure out the reactors stats first then then to fuel them. Or to figure out the fuel's cost for them.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 04:54:45 PM »
I'm not being very clear, so I'm going to to look at your spreadsheet to see if I can figure this out.

I really wished that the fuel cost would have been calculated with the drives.

Thanks for the help and patience.

Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 05:52:26 PM »
  Yes the fuel there is the fuel for the drives and I think the fuel for the Power Plants but I do not think I did anything with them in my sheet. But I am away from my PC right now that has that info on it.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 10:25:17 PM »
In Step 6 the drives listed on pp. 103 - 104 and Step 7 FTL Drives is were the fuel mass and volume is calculated. Step 21 pp. 115 -116 has the calculations for the price of the fuel carried from Steps 6 and 7. I take the metric tons of fuel from Steps 6 and 7 and multiply by the factors in Step 21. At least that is how I think the instruction work.

A ship that has a Hyperdrive Rating of 12  has an 11 LY/day displacement. Step 21 p. 116  states the that ¢5,000 worth of fuel will move the ship 1 light year.  How do you determine the fuel cost?

Again thanks for the help.
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 05:48:11 AM »
 To determine the fuel cost you say the ship wants to be able to travel 55 LY. I chose the 55 LY range just out of my head. You could chose any range you want for the craft.
  Once you have determined the range you simply multiply the range value by 5,000 to get the cost of the HD fuel.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 08:09:09 PM »
MarkC that makes sense and corresponds with the fuel rule in SM1. I haven't checked with SM2 yet, but IIRC SM1 and SM2 SS weren't that different.
Tom R