Author Topic: Cartography  (Read 3965 times)

Offline Tolen

• OIC Points +0/-0
Cartography
« on: September 08, 2010, 10:30:28 AM »
Here are the hand-drawn maps of the setting.  The Arrylon Map gives you an overview of the entire planet, though only the northern portion is detailed.
I'm in Southern Illinois.
No, further than that...
Try South of Mt. Vernon, where Southern Illinois really begins.

Offline -Dain-

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt
Re: Cartography
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 08:35:33 PM »
I like them ;)

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 12:45:32 AM »
You've got it all mapped out in detail. These are a good place to start from.

If you'd like I'll start making the the world map, since the other continents can be mapped from there in more detail by copying the outlines. For the more detailed parts I'll use the outlines from the continental maps, so no detail will be lost.
I'll have something to show in a few days as I am a little busy 'till the weekend.

Game on!
Game On!

Offline -Dain-

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 06:07:10 AM »
If you'd like I'll start making the the world map
Yeah, go for it.
I actually don't really understand the external borders of "Arrylon map". It's like they are big islands in a vast sea, within a huge continent. I'd like to see more indeed ;)
The other maps are nice, and I'm playing with the idea to draw something for you ;)

Offline Tolen

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 07:44:09 AM »
Well, that world map suffers from an early misunderstanding of global scale.  There is a bit of compression going on there, plus the stuff outside of the mapped areas was added later.

Basically, the stuff to the North and South would be the poles, the Arctic and Antarctic continents, which actually extend into the ocean far enough to join up and connect.  That's what the continents on the West edge of the map are.  On the East edge, it's supposed to be the other edge of those continents, drawn to indicate that the globe would be round.

But if you leave it like that, either the Northern Continents are much larger than they appear and the planet has little open ocean, or the planet itself is much smaller than it should be.

The first, and easiest fix is to remove the marks from the East edge of the map, then everything should be spread apart some distance to make the oceans a bit larger.

I just tried back then to fit too much on a piece of 8 x 10 paper.

Keeping those changes in mind, you guys have fun creating new maps, I'd like to see newer, more up to date versions anyway.  I look forward to it.
No, further than that...

Offline -Dain-

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 06:30:20 PM »
But if you leave it like that, either the Northern Continents are much larger than they appear and the planet has little open ocean, or the planet itself is much smaller than it should be.
Water is life. Without a good ratio of land/sea, there can't be sustained life. What's the deal with having to much ocean? Is there a settings reason, something sneaky?  8)

The first, and easiest fix is to remove the marks from the East edge of the map, then everything should be spread apart some distance to make the oceans a bit larger.
I just tried back then to fit too much on a piece of 8 x 10 paper.
Keeping those changes in mind, you guys have fun creating new maps, I'd like to see newer, more up to date versions anyway.  I look forward to it.
I'll do something ;) I liked your island straigh away

Offline Tolen

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 10:14:25 AM »
I don't understand your question.  Do you mean you think I have too much ocean?  I always thought the continents were a bit too close together.

In the end, it was drawn by hand, while I eyeballed the locations.  I am not a professional map-maker.  There are no campaign-specific reasons for the layout of the map, save only that I wanted to preserve the idea that an ocean voyage to another land would take months to accomplish, like it did here on Earth.

Anyone who wants to take a stab at re-drawing these maps, feel free.
No, further than that...

Offline Bryn Talus

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 01:56:56 PM »
I have a fleshed out map of Geadhealtad which I will copy or scan and post when I get a break from teaching. It is the only map not of the Northwest that I have.

Offline Bryn Talus

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 02:15:11 PM »

Offline Tolen

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 02:34:12 PM »
I've never seen that one, did you make it after you moved away?
No, further than that...

Offline Tolen

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 02:36:23 PM »
I have a fleshed out map of Geadhealtad which I will copy or scan and post when I get a break from teaching. It is the only map not of the Northwest that I have.

Well, to be honest, we never fleshed out much of the other regions anyway, we were adventuring in Amara/Audun most of the time anyway.  I have a lot of ideas for the Pridelands and the Fan-Chi empire, but no detailed maps for there.
No, further than that...