Author Topic: How do you handle surprse and ambush situations in your game?  (Read 482 times)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
How do you handle surprse and ambush situations in your game?
« on: January 09, 2023, 12:08:37 PM »
im old school and sometimes roll a d6 to check for surprise when one side isnt expecting an enemy . Its quite situational and varies. I usually just go with what makes common sense. On are occasions i get both sides to check if the are surprise but usually its a situation where one side stumbles into the other which triggers eithe an automatic surprise ruling by me or i get them to roll a d6 to see if the are surprise - usually a 1-2 on 1d6 but i might change the odds for a range of variables.

Ambush is more obvious and requires one side to have knowledge of the other or more likely they have set up an ambush site and the enemy walk into it.

1) How do you handle surprise

Offline foilfodder

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: How do you handle surprse and ambush situations in your game?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 06:43:30 AM »
im old school and sometimes roll a d6 to check for surprise when one side isnt expecting an enemy . Its quite situational and varies.

While six-sided dice are easy to find lying around the house the product lines I.C.E. produces usually use a d10.

I played many games of Rolemaster under RMSS rules, as well as a little under the M.E.R.P. and H.A.R.P. rulebooks.

My favorite is H.A.R.P.'s method which is a single Perception check for each group and everyone acts in the first round with the losers of the Perception check getting  penalty to their individual roll to determine who acts first.

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: How do you handle surprse and ambush situations in your game?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 04:12:40 AM »
im old school and sometimes roll a d6 to check for surprise when one side isnt expecting an enemy . Its quite situational and varies.

While six-sided dice are easy to find lying around the house the product lines I.C.E. produces usually use a d10.

I played many games of Rolemaster under RMSS rules, as well as a little under the M.E.R.P. and H.A.R.P. rulebooks.

My favorite is H.A.R.P.'s method which is a single Perception check for each group and everyone acts in the first round with the losers of the Perception check getting  penalty to their individual roll to determine who acts first.

nice, i think ill steal this one ;)