Author Topic: RMU!  (Read 6099 times)

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
Re: RMU!
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2022, 05:24:12 AM »
I play with a group that is averse to random stat generation. They have played RMSS with the point buy system for a very long time. Are there any plans to create a system that allows for generating stats both temp and potential 100 percent with points?

If your group wants to continue using RMSS style point buy, you only need to adjust the table to the RMU scale to continue to use it. If you need help with the math there are bound to be people on the forum that can help.

Myself, I have used the RMSS method for years but decided against porting the table to RMU since I am a bit tired of the sweet spots of the point-buy table.   
/Pa Staav

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2022, 10:14:03 AM »
There is also a whole Discord subchannel discussion about stat options, if you are interested in that.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline katastrophe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2022, 06:49:10 PM »
There is also a whole Discord subchannel discussion about stat options, if you are interested in that.

Could you provide a link.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2023, 12:17:01 AM »
I'm not well versed in Discord, but I think this was it:

https://discord.com/channels/737958249936060416/1048932801531088947
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2023, 08:19:42 PM »
Point buy of potentials at the superior power level seems to be about 57 points. Just bear in mind that getting to allocate potentials is going to give an advantage over rolling them. So maybe it would be more appropriate to use a lower total, like 50.

I suspect you could also just use RMSS's fixed potentials option as written although I haven't compared the results.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline jaesyk

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2023, 02:09:36 PM »
Point buy of potentials at the superior power level seems to be about 57 points. Just bear in mind that getting to allocate potentials is going to give an advantage over rolling them. So maybe it would be more appropriate to use a lower total, like 50.

I suspect you could also just use RMSS's fixed potentials option as written although I haven't compared the results.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking about trying the RMSS fixed mods to see what I come up with. I'll have to house rule character creation to get my game group to try RMU.

Offline 5th Knight of Xar

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2023, 06:18:25 AM »
What ever happened to the Beta covers. Those were great

The beta covers had borrowed art made by the same artist.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2023, 06:47:49 AM »
To bad, I liked the art and made me thirsty to see a new set of awesome art for the new system.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Wolfwood

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2023, 10:37:13 AM »
To bad, I liked the art and made me thirsty to see a new set of awesome art for the new system.
Indeed, the covers of the beta products definitely made a better impression. :/

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2023, 01:29:37 PM »
I think it is a fresh perspective. Most of it is fine, some of it is really nice and just a few inlays are not that good. Art is a big expense and I think the compromise is great. Everything in one style. It is all color. Bold move to not hide the digital production and most important of all: it is contextual! It is specifically RMU. That is just great.
Game On!

Offline katastrophe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2023, 07:37:06 AM »
Any idea when a conversion document for RMU to Shadow World will be released? That would likely go a long way to get people already playing to switch over.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2023, 02:40:37 PM »
In general, I find it the best approach to recreate characters between systems instead of applying formulas to convert them.

Offline katastrophe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2023, 06:36:34 PM »
That’s not exactly what I meant. I don’t believe you can effectively convert a character from RMSS to RMU without rebuilding them from level 1. DPs are significantly different as are the skills. Also the classes are similar but not the same. And Core Law and Spell Law beta sadly left out some core classes like the Warrior Mage and Armsmaster (I’ll never fully understand why but it doesn’t matter), along with their spell lists (another WTF). Though RMSS  and RMU appear to be compatible they are vastly dissimilar games with respect to character creation.

When will a Shadow World conversion be done. It’d be interesting to see the Shadow World races and creatures and some of the NPCs done for RMU to see how they look in the new system.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2023, 04:53:35 AM »
That’s not exactly what I meant. I don’t believe you can effectively convert a character from RMSS to RMU without rebuilding them from level 1. DPs are significantly different as are the skills.

You can quite easily use any material from the previous editions with RMU. The skill lists might be different, but it does not matter at the gaming table if a certain NPC has a different name for the same skill. If we are speaking of combat NPC from earlier editions, they will not have paperwork for the new dodge and block actions, but it is trivial just to give the NPC some suitable number of ranks and bonuses.

The same goes with power points where RMU characters will have power points, not like core RM2 rules but more like the options in the companions...just determine a reasonable number of power points and start using the NPC. If you are using RMSS/RMFRP your NPC will have approximately the right number of PP.

Also the classes are similar but not the same. And Core Law and Spell Law beta sadly left out some core classes like the Warrior Mage and Armsmaster (I’ll never fully understand why but it doesn’t matter), along with their spell lists (another WTF). Though RMSS  and RMU appear to be compatible they are vastly dissimilar games with respect to character creation.

These professions were never core professions in any previous editions. If the companions are redone for RMU, they will be included. In the meantime, you can use RMU's build profession rules to recreate them for your game.

When will a Shadow World conversion be done. It’d be interesting to see the Shadow World races and creatures and some of the NPCs done for RMU to see how they look in the new system.

You can use RMU to recreate any Shadow World races and creatures. The new edition includes full rules for building your own races and cultures. The likelihood that we get old Shadow World products restated for RMU increases a lot if you start posting samples of converting efforts on the forum. The likelihood we get new Shadow World products is also quite likely affected by the activity on the Shadow World part of the forum.
/Pa Staav

Offline katastrophe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2023, 07:51:37 PM »
You make my point exactly. I don’t usually purchase RPGs to do all the work myself.

I know that I CAN rewrite the rules and rework old materials but I believe that’s the job of the game company selling a product.

It would be much better for the company to provide those items considering that it’d make rather the game company for a consistent experience. This is 10 years in the making with the last Betas essentially completed over 3 years ago. The idea that the conversion work couldn’t have been completed in that time is silly, mainly since it’s THEIR main game world.

Yes you’re correct the Armsmaster and Warrior Mage were presented in companions but guess what, so was the paladin. These are classes that have been around through 3 iterations of the game and to claim “it’s not core” takes some deep excusism. I’d be surprised if any significant numbers of rolemaster players would say “no, we don’t need an essence and mentalism version of a combat semi”.

I want to see the game succeed beyond just being a book some people buy to add to their shelf collection. I’d like to see the game move forward to the point that groups can either 1) convert their existing RM campaigns to RMU or 2) even better see new gamers pick up RMU and run games. I don’t see how it gets there with the current approach. But that’s a different discussion.

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2023, 02:22:48 AM »
Pdf copies seems to be flying off the digital shelves though. I'm looking forward to the release of Spell Law pdf and physical copies of both Core Law and Spell Law.

Offline katastrophe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2023, 08:14:13 AM »
Yes. Appears it’s selling good on Drivethru. But who’s buying it. I did but I’m not playing it. I suspect the same could be said for a lot of people. That’s what in business we call a dead sale. It doesn’t lead to additional sales.

What will ultimately determine future sales will be
1) will players convert from RMSS/RMC to RMU.
2) will new players pick up and play RMSS/RMC

If the answer is more no than yes, then sales won’t grow and it’ll be a nice shelf book but not something that will grow a gaming community. Maybe that was never the aim, I don’t know what the owners/developers were shooting for. Maybe codifying house rules was the end goal and maybe there was never a goal of growing the game in hopes of having a thriving community of players. It seems to me (my personal opinion) that this was a club project aimed at pleasing some club members rather than relaunching the game with a bigger audience in mind.

Maybe the developers can discuss what their end goal was.

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2023, 08:35:15 AM »
Their end goal is releasing RMU books, first Core Law, then Spell Law, then more. We're at the beginning of the RMU adventure, way too soon to start digging its grave.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2023, 08:51:37 AM »
Maybe that was never the aim, I don’t know what the owners/developers were shooting for.

The above made me think of this:

“And he dreamed the dream of all those who publish books, which was to have so much gold in your pockets that you would have to employ two people just to hold your trousers up.” - Terry Pratchett, Maskerade

Sometimes goals are simpler than you think.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2023, 09:48:02 AM »
It's understood that it's not going to be fully playable until the whole system is available. But also that it's not practical, for multiple reasons, to release them all simultaneously.

I'm not too worried about needing people to hold my trousers up. :)
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster