Author Topic: RMU - when, and where is the marketing campaign?  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMU - when, and where is the marketing campaign?
« on: November 06, 2022, 09:52:59 PM »
I get from the monthly briefings that it is now, finally, only a few months until the first RMU book comes out. I am not sure when, but I guess nobody is.

Still, wouldn't it make sense t roar the marketing drums by now, to make people realize there's a new version of the legendary game coming?

Offline Poil

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMU - when, and where is the marketing campaign?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 03:33:18 AM »
Hasn't it been "close" for years now? Every briefing has claimed that it's not much longer for a long time.

Of course these things take time and unexpected slowdowns always happen, that's not the issue. But realistically speaking I still don't think there is much point besides checking at most twice a year if it has been released yet.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 08:47:15 AM »
If one reads the director's briefings, one will realize that release is indeed imminent. Never before has the design team used this word before, nor has it shown preview pages, talked about finishing art commissioning, discussed how Nicholas and others are making the final pass on layout, etc.

As for marketing budgets: how big a company do you think ICE is? It is small, which means there is a small marketing budget. What we can do is spread the word that the design team has now passed all the major hurdles and release is indeed imminent. This is not a drill.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 11:43:15 PM »
I have been waiting on imminent for quite some time now. With all the long stretch of no progress it is not a real thing yet. A Zero date will be needed to get my attention. This project has been going on forever now, and I have other things I am getting into due to this. So imminent means the same as some time in the future but don't hold your breath. A target month would be more appropriate at this point.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 04:15:37 PM »
I have been waiting on imminent for quite some time now. With all the long stretch of no progress it is not a real thing yet. A Zero date will be needed to get my attention. This project has been going on forever now, and I have other things I am getting into due to this. So imminent means the same as some time in the future but don't hold your breath. A target month would be more appropriate at this point.

Does not the beginning of December 2022 for the digital release of the first book count as a pretty specific target month?
/Pa Staav

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 10:20:46 PM »
Some what, as you know we have been anticipating this for a while with plenty of teasers especially around Con season. So again not much faith in this teaser posting until I see a confirmation on the briefings. BTW where is the November one or did I miss it.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2022, 09:32:09 AM »
[...]
As for marketing budgets: how big a company do you think ICE is? It is small, which means there is a small marketing budget. What we can do is spread the word that the design team has now passed all the major hurdles and release is indeed imminent. This is not a drill.

But announcements of the upcoming game in forums and facebook groups and the like wouldn't cost anything. I mean, I am not expecting TV spots, just some good old internet viral marketing.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2022, 09:33:06 AM »
[...]
Does not the beginning of December 2022 for the digital release of the first book count as a pretty specific target month?

Yes, but… then why is this "two to three weeks now" not talked about EVERYWHERE?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2022, 10:30:02 AM »
[...]

But announcements of the upcoming game in forums and facebook groups and the like wouldn't cost anything. I mean, I am not expecting TV spots, just some good old internet viral marketing.

We're constantly discussing it on Discord, if that helps.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2022, 10:38:24 AM »
Didn't know there was a Rolemaster/Iron Crown Discord - what's it listed under, couldn't find it on a preliminary look
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2022, 01:35:21 PM »
Some what, as you know we have been anticipating this for a while with plenty of teasers especially around Con season. So again not much faith in this teaser posting until I see a confirmation on the briefings. BTW where is the November one or did I miss it.

Fair enough, I am not holding my breath. On another note, the previous teasers have always been for prerelease-versions. This is the first time ever that Iron Crown has set a target month for the digital release.

As for the topic of the discussion. A good reason to wait with the marketing campaign is that new people coming to the game will need RMU versions of all the core books. Us RM veterans can adapt old material and use material from the beta to start playing, but new players will not have access to such. Asking new players to buy the new RMU rules but have to purchase material from the old editions to be able to play would be a marketing disaster.
/Pa Staav

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2022, 01:38:17 PM »
Didn't know there was a Rolemaster/Iron Crown Discord - what's it listed under, couldn't find it on a preliminary look

There is an 'Iron Crown Enterprises' Discord server, with subsections for different editions, settings, etc. However, when I did a search for 'Iron Crown Enterprises' in the community search, nothing turned up. If you can't find it, send me a PM on these boards with your Discord name and I can send you an invite I think.

Anyone know a better way to hook Sunwolf up on the server?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2022, 05:05:08 PM »
Thanks the invite link worked
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2022, 09:21:22 PM »
I just copied it from the ICE website. :)
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2022, 11:09:14 PM »
Wizardry!

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2022, 09:18:56 AM »
[...]

I don't believe it helps with boosting sales. Aren't there websites and social media that are most suited for such marketing? Like… rpg.net and such?

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2022, 08:41:56 AM »
I am doing my best to get the word out. As NO-ONE wanted to delay the release any further, the fact that it is actually coming out in ten days has given me very little time to get much done before the launch. I am hoping to do a lot between pdf and print though and then more post-print.

Offline Amano

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2022, 07:41:52 PM »
10 days!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2022, 08:02:06 PM »
Marc's head is going to explode.