Author Topic: Does a Flying Blade Spell List exist?  (Read 599 times)

Offline Wynther

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Does a Flying Blade Spell List exist?
« on: October 31, 2022, 03:25:47 AM »
After watching way too many wuxia-movies I am looking for a way to simulate those swordmasters who control their weapons with their minds. Before I start brewing something I wanted to ask if a spell list or something else for this might be hidden in any RM-book. Thank you.

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Does a Flying Blade Spell List exist?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 05:22:46 AM »
Warrior's Blade from RM2 Spell User Companion has throw and dancing blade spells.
e crits all round

Offline Ralfsi

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 07:01:09 AM »
I don't know about spell lists, but there is spell lists for creating flying and returning weapons, you'll find them in treasure law

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 08:47:24 AM »
I'm not familiar with the movies, but Open Essence: Essence Hand and Open Mentalism: Telekinesis have Hurling as well as lower level Telekinesis spells.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 09:17:35 AM »
Here's something homebrew from my campaign. I have it as a base list. Written for RMU so minor adjustments may be needed for other versions. It's not exactly what you asked for but....

Magnetic Mastery
Lvl   Spell   Area of Effect   Duration   Range   Type
1   Magnetic Throw I *   caster   --   self   U
2   Magnetic Parry *   caster   --   self   U
3   Returning Throw   100’R   1 rnd/lvl   self   F
4   Constellation of Knives   caster   1 rnd/lvl   self   U
5   Magnetic Deflection I *   1 missile   --   100’   E
6   Magnetic Shield *   self   C   self   F
7   Attraction/Repulsion   30’ dia cone   --   60’   F
8   Magnetic Throw II *   caster   --   self   U
9   Magnetic Deflection II *   2 missiles   --   100’   E
10   Aura of Knives   caster   1 rnd/lvl   self   U
11   Returning Shot   1 target   --   100’   E
12   Wall of Blades   10’x10’x5’   1 rnd/lvl   100’   E
13   Magn. Defllection III *   3 missiles   --   100’   E
14   Magnetic Throw III *   caster   --   self   U
15   Double Throw *   1 extra attack   --   self   E
16   Magnekinesis   50’R   --   self   F
17   Mass Disarm   10’R   --   50’   F
18   Mass Magn. Deflect. *   varies   --   100’   E
19   Magnetic Throw True *   caster   --   self   U
20   Storm of Knives   caster   1 rnd/lvl   self   U
25   Wall of Steel   20’x20’x5’   1 rnd/lvl   100’   E
30   Dancing Weapon   1 weapon   1 min/lvl   touch   F
35   Storm of Steel   20’R   1 rnd/lvl   100’   E
40   Mass Attract./Repulsion   varies   --   100’   F
50   Vortex of Steel   50’R   1 rnd/lvl   self   F
1. Magnetic Throw I: If the caster makes an attack with a metal thrown weapon this round, it gains a bonus of +10 OB and +10 to its base range increment (e.g. a dagger would have a short range of 20’, medium 40’, long 60’, etc). If the attack is with a missile weapon with metallic ammunition (e.g. a metal arrowhead), it gains a bonus of +5 OB and no range modifier.
2. Magnetic Parry: If caster and foe are both using metal weapons, caster’s Parry DB is doubled for the round.
3. Returning Throw: All metal weapons thrown by the caster at targets within 100’ return to the caster. They may be caught for 1 AP or will land nearby.
4. Constellation of Knives: Caster’s metal thrown weapons orbit him and come to hand as needed (as a free action with no AP cost). If Returning Throw is used, returning weapons join the Constellation.
5. Magnetic Deflection I: Caster can deflect any one metal missile that the caster can see and which passes within the 100’ range of this spell; this causes 100 to be subtracted from the missile’s attack. If Constellation of Knives is cast, the missile passes within 10’ of the caster, and the attack misses, the weapon joins the Constellation.
6. Magnetic Shield: Creates a shield of magnetic force which attracts metal weapons. Metal weapons suffer -25, and if they do not hit the wielder of a metal weapon must make a RR or have his weapon stick to the shield. Stuck weapons may be retrieved with a Medium maneuver at -5 per level of the caster.
7. Attraction/Repulsion: A cone of magnetic force blasts from the caster’s hand. Targets wearing metal armor must make a RR or be moved 1’ per 1% failure. The direction of movement will be towards or away from the caster, at caster’s discretion per target.
8. Magnetic Throw II: As Magnetic Throw I, except thrown weapons gain +20 OB and +20 base range increment, while missile weapons gain +10 OB.
9. Magnetic Deflection II: As Magnetic Deflection I, except two missiles.
10. Aura of Knives: As Constellation of Knives, and it grants the caster +10 DB, and any metallic weapon dropped or disarmed within 10’ joins the Aura.
11. Returning Shot: A metallic weapon thrown by the caster and within 100’ returns to the caster, making an attack on one target within 10’ of the return path. This attack uses the caster’s OB with that weapon, and may be treated as flank, rear, and/or surprise depending on the circumstances.
12. Wall of Blades: Caster pulls 1-20 metal weapons into a spinning, moving barrier which forms at the end of the round. Anyone in the barrier or moving into or through it suffers a Krush, Slashing, or Puncture critical depending on the types of weapons present (determine randomly). The severity of the critical is A if 1-6 weapons are used, B if 7-12 weapons are used, or C if 13 or more weapons are used to create the wall.
13. Magnetic Deflection III: As Magnetic Deflection I, except three missiles.
14. Magnetic Throw III: As Magnetic Throw I, except thrown weapons gain +30 OB and +30 base range increment, while missile weapons gain +15 OB.
15. Double Throw: Caster’s next metallic thrown weapon attack this round is mirrored by another weapon (with the same OB) if there is one available within 5’ of the caster.
16. Magnekinesis: Caster can grab a metal object and move it a number of feet equal to his level per round. Strength is equal to 10 lbs force per level.
17. Mass Disarm: All targets in the area of effect must make an RR or be disarmed of any metal weapons in their hands.
18. Mass Magnetic Deflection: As Magnetic Deflection I, except up to one missile per level.
19. Magnetic Throw True: As Magnetic Throw I, except thrown weapons gain +40 OB and +40 base range increment, while missile weapons gain +20 OB.
20. Storm of Knives: As Aura of Knives, and if there are at least 6 weapons in the Storm, anyone within 5’ of the caster failing a RR takes an A critical of an appropriate type based on the weapons.
25. Wall of Steel: As Wall of Blades, except it will incorporate any loose metal within 100’, normally sufficient to inflict C criticals, and the area is 20’x20’x5’.
30. Dancing Weapon: Caster’s weapon will fight on its own. The caster must fight with the weapon for one round prior to casting this spell. The weapon will have an OB of half the caster’s OB, an AT of 10, a DB of +0, and can take 5 hits per level of the caster before ending this spell.
35. Storm of Steel: As Wall of Steel except the area is a 20’ radius. The caster may choose to center it on himself, in which case he is unharmed by the storm.
40. Mass Attraction/Repulsion: As Attraction/Repulsion, except the cone may be as wide as 180 degrees (a half sphere) and the range is 100’.
50. Vortex of Steel: As Storm of Steel, except 50’ radius, and if the caster centers it on himself, by concentrating he may use Magnetic Deflection against every suitable attack within the radius, Attraction/Repulsion on every target in the radius, and Magnekinesis on one object per round.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Wynther

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 09:25:16 AM »
Ah, thank you - that all looks very good or is at least a great start. I had totally overlooked the Spell User-Companion.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 03:15:21 PM »
Weapon Mastery from Mentalism Companion has spells like Cleaving Weapon and Recall weapon that could be useful as inspiration.
/Pa Staav

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2022, 11:26:30 AM »
That's a very cool list JDale. Might you say whom it is a base list for?

One bit of feedback: the Magnetic Shield spell (lvl 6) description might specify exactly how many AP the 'medium maneuver' costs.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2022, 06:15:50 PM »
>That's a very cool list JDale. Might you say whom it is a base list for?

It's an aether base list, open to aether knights and dabblers. In a more normal RM setting, it might make the most sense as an essence list, maybe as an alternate base list for essence semis. Unless you wanted to move magnetism and other esoteric forces to arcane.

>One bit of feedback: the Magnetic Shield spell (lvl 6) description might specify exactly how many AP the 'medium maneuver' costs.

It's intended to be free, as an alternative to the regular Shield spell. I suppose that could be more clear (and note it can't be combined with Shield). I haven't had anyone take the list yet so there hasn't been much review.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2022, 09:00:20 AM »
>That's a very cool list JDale. Might you say whom it is a base list for?

It's an aether base list, open to aether knights and dabblers. In a more normal RM setting, it might make the most sense as an essence list, maybe as an alternate base list for essence semis. Unless you wanted to move magnetism and other esoteric forces to arcane.

Cool. I also thought it might fit the Force Mage, an old RM2 profession. But I also like it for Dabbler or Essence.

>One bit of feedback: the Magnetic Shield spell (lvl 6) description might specify exactly how many AP the 'medium maneuver' costs.

It's intended to be free, as an alternative to the regular Shield spell.

I should have been clearer: I meant the maneuver to pull one's weapon off the shield if it has stuck.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2022, 10:37:38 AM »
Yeah, I also have a Magnetic Law list which is more like the force mage list and more appropriate for a pure spellcaster. I think this one is better for a semi since it is intended to work for a character with a lot of thrown weapon skill.

Regarding the maneuver, I suppose 2-4 AP.

Offline Tarmo.Korpela

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2022, 06:32:04 AM »
Phantom Strike spells from Mythic's Vengeance spell list (Channeling Companion, p. 82) could also work. Its description reads "the caster can strike one target up to 100 feet away with a melee weapon. The weapon never leaves the caster's hands; the caster swings the weapon through the air and the wounds mysteriously appear on the target."

Of course, it needs direct line of sight, one can't use melee combat skills (Ambush etc) with it and OB is limited at lower levels, BUT the attack ignores shields and cannot normally be parried.