Author Topic: Fast Combat System with incorporated crits  (Read 885 times)

Offline katastrophe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Fast Combat System with incorporated crits
« on: March 09, 2020, 08:48:01 PM »
Our group has been playing a year long compaign and I’ve finally got to a point that I’ll put down while we play something else for a 6 month break. We’ve been using mainly a modified RMSS with the fast combat system and some classes and spell lists ported over from the early companions

A few things I as GM don’t really like is the minimal number of hits most attacks do and the pure randomness of the crits. using the fast combat system fixes the number of hits issue, but the fast combat crits suck. Just had.

Anyway, I have given some thought to when we pick back up doing the following:

Primary damage is determined by total roll + OB - DB result is as follows:
75 hits for normal dice damage
125 hits for dice damage x2
126+ Starts adding critical effects as follows: total of the roll minus 100 checked against large creature normal critical strike table and for magical spell effects like fireball, lightning bolt, etc use the large creature magical critical strike table.

Really simple - still does a large number of hits and still only requires one roll open ended and gives additional hits and covers stun and bleeding effects.

To handle Secondary effects for weapons with special or magic secondary critical effects (use last d100 rolled from attack for the effect of the secondary critical)

Total to hit (less dB and other modifiers )
150 - A Crit
175 - B Crit
200 - C Crit
225 - D Crit
250 - E Crit
300 - E and A, progressing each 50
For special effects that are reduced severity from the main attack, add the reduced amount to the total required for the crit (ie heat crit 1 level less severity would be 175 for an A and progress from there).

Personally I dislike lucky instant death effects so those are replaced as follows:
For death effects listed in crits, replace 'dies' with 'goes unconscious, (-75 incapacitation) and 6 bleeding wound'. Ignore effects that knock the attacker out (those are stupid)  As that’s pretty stupid and a punishment for rolling really well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Fast Combat System with incorporated crits
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 06:10:59 PM »
Excellent.

I went 75/95/115/135/155/175/+20. I have used many options, such as staggering critical and dice damage based on weapon size and critical result desired. The system is table free, fast and very flexible while totally retaining the Rolemaster feel.

I subtract Armor Type from hits rolled. I also notice players love roling damage and of course the criticals.

I prefer RM leveless too.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline katastrophe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Fast Combat System with incorporated crits
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 10:20:33 AM »
We used it for the last 4 sessions of the campaign. Mixed results. The some of thePCs really just wanted to See themselves doing 4x damage for the big rolls rather than 2x damage with critical effects.

Unfortunately I kinda see why, villains they’re attacking aside from stun don’t really matter about bleeds (since there’s no real matter for those kinds of wounds handed to the mook or villain). Bleeds, muscle nerve tendon damage only really matters when placed on the PC.

From a combat standpoint the damage multiple is better for the PC because it reduces their need for multiple types of healing and ultimately unless they take megadamage from a hit they’ll just lose conciouusness willthoutmuch effect (healing post combat is easy). They didn’t feel it matters that they did additional effect to everything else.

A couple PCs loved it but I see the issue. I’ll have to rethink this I order to make it more fun for everyone.

Any thoughts would be helpful.