Author Topic: Conversion problem: chain as weapon in RMU  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Conversion problem: chain as weapon in RMU
« on: April 12, 2019, 08:30:09 AM »
I'm converting existing characters from another game system into a slightly modified version of RMU. We had an existing campaign we want to convert to the new system, but I have a problem with one PC, because his main weapon was a chain.
In RMU that's not an ordinary weapon and I should rule it as an improvised weapon, but i find this a little too punishing since in the other system it was a proper weapon with stats and all, so a legitimate choice for a character's primary melee weapon.
I thought I maybe could consider it a peculiar form of Whip, with Krush instead of Slash criticals, but I'm not sure. How would you rule it?

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Conversion problem: chain as weapon in RMU
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 08:48:09 AM »
RM2's Arms Companion has Steel Whip as a weapon with it's own attack table.  I would modify the crits for your campaign as it sounds as if the player is using a length of chain vs. a whip-style weapon.  The steel whip does deliver slashing crits and my daughter did sever a foe's weapon arm with a 99 E-Slash crit.  That may not be "believable" for your player using a piece of chain :D

You could consider the Bola Attack table too from RM2  Even though it's a thrown weapon, the damage, chance to hit, and Krush crits would be on par with a chain attack.  Chain is heavy and unwieldy and using it in combat is difficult.  I usually send a few NPC's with bolas after my players with maybe a net or two to keep them on their toes. I do use the Bola attack table frequently.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 10:01:52 AM »
Whip isn't unreasonable if you want it to be able to do grapples. Treating it as a light flail would do more damage but no grapples. Bola is also a good suggestion, and it's in RMU as well. Tables with grapples tend to be better against heavier armor than those that don't, so that's a trade-off.

Our RMFRP fighter killed a foe with a single bola attack, any weapon can be mighty if the dice feel like cooperating....

System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 10:08:19 AM »
If you want/need to use a chart from RMU, Fingolfin, then I personally like JDale's suggestion of treating the chain as a light flail. I would also give the chain a bit more range than a light flail, but also a bit higher fumble range.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 10:58:48 AM »
Whip isn't unreasonable if you want it to be able to do grapples. Treating it as a light flail would do more damage but no grapples. Bola is also a good suggestion, and it's in RMU as well. Tables with grapples tend to be better against heavier armor than those that don't, so that's a trade-off.

Our RMFRP fighter killed a foe with a single bola attack, any weapon can be mighty if the dice feel like cooperating....

The light flail option is one I've considered because it's logical, but probably the whip chart is best suited. In the old system the chain had low damage but had the grapple chance, so this choice would introduce less changes for the player.