Author Topic: Rolemaster for newbie comparison to say HarnMaster or HackMaster  (Read 1801 times)

Offline EmpireErik

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Hello:   
After watching these board briefly and looking at this game, I am trying to ascertain if it’s for me?  also which is the latest version?   Also is there a new version on the horizon?  (Something indicates a new version in the works.)

I have played ADnD and now 5e (and voluminous other games).  I am not fan of the over simplicity of 5e.  As I get older I am looking for a richer system.   

I like HarnMaster and HackMaster.. so far.  As I search for a game that has a grittier combat system and more risky magic system (I hate that casting spells is a guarantee vs Warhammer Fantasy) I am looking for recommendations.   

I have seen ICE since the early 90s but never played it.  Best critical charts ever! 

So how is RoleMaster compared to...say... HackMaster or HarnMaster?   

What is the latest version of RM?   And is a new one on the horizon?   

Your responses are greatly appreciated. 

From a fan of RM from a distance.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Rolemaster for newbie comparison to say HarnMaster or HackMaster
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 07:55:15 PM »
As someone that loves crunchy rules like Hackmaster, I find a third of it overly crunchy(alignment, honour, morale) but do appreciate it.

That said, 3rd / 4th edition RMFRP/RMSS is probably 7/8ths as crunchy as Hackmaster.
RMC(lassic) is 2/3rds to 1/2 as crunchy as Hackmaster since it was recently rewritten and streamlined from RM2 back in those 80s/90s you mention.

RMU is the latest incarnation and there are forums for them where you can even download rough drafts of what will soon go into full print later this year.

Enjoy the sleuthing and be sure to lookup the many streaming games featuring RM on Fantasy Grounds(even Roll20.net) out there. 
Some are even looking for newbie/interested players, too!

PS: welcome to the crunchy fun!

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Rolemaster for newbie comparison to say HarnMaster or HackMaster
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 11:57:20 AM »
It's a little surprising with the obvious Ad&D beginnings of Hackmaster... but the crunchiness of it's "All the Whistles and Bells" critical tables actually puts RM to shame. Though, because of them, I find Hackmaster combat actually becomes tedious... so many tables, just for one roll... I played/run it for a few months, the criticals were the first thing we got rid of!

Harnmaster, for me, is a much, much more playable game. Far less page-flipping and the combats are more realistic.. for that reason crunchy, but not hugely so... the virtual absence of levels...and effectively also classes, makes it feel more Runequest than D&D.

Rolemaster. Obviously a personal favourite. I'd say it sits comfortably inbetween the two on the crunchiness scale. If it didn't exist, then Harnmaster would be my choice.