Author Topic: Whats your favorite house rule?  (Read 13566 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Whats your favorite house rule?
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2014, 05:04:31 PM »
Also for the healing potions you can roll 2 d 10 and take the highest roll. I tend to like that better than just assigning a base value.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #121 on: December 15, 2014, 07:51:17 AM »
Also for the healing potions you can roll 2 d 10 and take the highest roll. I tend to like that better than just assigning a base value.
MDC

You know, that's a really good idea too.  It still leaves the probability of rolling a 1 and a 2, or rolling a 1 and a 1 and that still stings a little to still end up with 1 HP in the middle of combat.  I think I may institute that in the next session to see how it plays out.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #122 on: December 15, 2014, 08:00:09 AM »
You can also have some potions be roll 3d10 and take the best or any variation of that idea, that way you can have better brewed potions without skewing the top result.
 And if it does not work or your players really hate it then you can go back to the way it was.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #123 on: December 15, 2014, 08:42:23 AM »
1d10 and reroll 1's and 2' is basically the same as 1d8+2, it gives linear probabilities and the mean is 6.5, 12.5% chance of any possible outcome. Highest of 2 d10's skews high, so the mean is 7.15. There's only a 1% chance of 1, and a 19% chance of 10.

If you're curious, you can plot the probabilities on www.anydice.com, just enter one of the following and click Calculate:

output 1d8+2

output [highest 1 of 2d10]

System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2014, 05:27:19 PM »
I also really like the idea of rolling 2d10 (or more) and taking the highest. It makes sense that the potions will act more similarly.

You could even swap it around, so that if the party gets a batch of "bad" brews, you take the LOWEST roll of 2d10 (or 3d10 or 4d10). Oh the fun when they find out ;)

Offline Rask Tril

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #125 on: June 22, 2015, 10:12:57 PM »
I have entirely different method of generating stats (which leads into other house rules, but this is my favorite).
I've always hated seeing "weak" characters with Temp Strengths of "90" working side-by-side with a "strong" character with a Temp Strength of "80".  Yeah, the race mods.  I get it.  Don't like it. I like to know how strong a character is simply by knowing his stat. Hence, my house rule:
#1 Every Race has it's own "Race Average" (RA) and "Race Potential" (RP) for each stat.
#2 Every character of a particular race begins with the same RA, but determines "Individual Potential" (IP).
#3 Increasing Temp Stat beyond the set IP is possible, but each increase applied is halved to reflect the difficulty.
#4 RA , RP , and IP numbers never change once determined.  Only the Temporary stats change.
#5 Every increase is expressed as a percentage of the difference between the RA and IP.  So, an increase of "10" is actually an increase of "10%"(of the difference).  So if the range between RA and IP was 50, that would result in adding "5" to the Temp Stat. Round to the nearest whole number.
#6 Hero's are generally above average.  They get a "hero" stat gain of 2d10% for every stat.
#7 Divide 100% points between Prime Stats of profession. (remember, if a particular stat gain reaches 100%, all gains in that stat are halved afterward).
#8 Training package stat gains are a 1d10% roll.
#9 Every level-up, choose two stats for a 1d10% increase.  Remember-all increases are a % of the difference between RA and IP (which never changes).
Example:  HUMAN (male) Strength RA = 50.  Strength RP = (3d10+10).  Strength IP= (3d10+10)+RA. 
A dice result of "28" gives a "Individual Potential" of 78 (and, obviously, a difference between RA and IP of 28). Assuming "Hero gain" was "13". Prime Stat gain was "45", TP gain was "10", and leveling up gains "12".  That results in a total increase of "80%" of the difference (28 x .80) or 22.4 rounded to 22.  New Temp STR is 72.
Remember, the rule does not prohibit a Human from getting a Temp STR beyond the normal Race Potential. It simply takes a lot of effort (halved gain rolls once gains reach 100%).

You may fly over a land forever; you may bomb it, atomize it, pulverize it and wipe it clean of life – but if you desire to defend it, protect it, and keep it for civilization, you must do this on the ground, the way the Roman legions did, by putting your young men into the mud.”
 --T.R. Fehrenbach, This Kind of War:  A Study in Unpreparedness

Offline Rask Tril

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2015, 10:37:30 PM »
And yes...I am aware that characters with large differences between their Individual Potentials and Racial Averages will get "more bang" for the same % increase than a character with a smaller range between their IP and RA.
You may fly over a land forever; you may bomb it, atomize it, pulverize it and wipe it clean of life – but if you desire to defend it, protect it, and keep it for civilization, you must do this on the ground, the way the Roman legions did, by putting your young men into the mud.”
 --T.R. Fehrenbach, This Kind of War:  A Study in Unpreparedness