Forum > Fan Created Worlds

Dark Sun, Revisited.

<< < (2/5) > >>

pantsorama:
This is very cool

RandalThor:

--- Quote from: PiXeL01 on June 08, 2021, 02:47:12 AM ---As I was planning my next session I thought to allow Archmages into the setting, though not with access to all three realms, instead as the only Essence Psionicist of the setting. This fits the setting’s paths toward Dragon or Avangion and keeps Channeling exclusively Druids, Clerics, Templars, and Rangers.

Also, i was thinking to change the background option “Archmage Abilities” to “Character can choose base lists from two realms; either Essence/Psionic or Channeling/Psionics. Access to Channeling requires pact with an Element”.

Thoughts are welcome.
--- End quote ---
Here are my thoughts on the Archmage/Avangion: Instead of it being a specific class/profession it could be more based on information/knowledge/learning. Something like needing a certain number of spell masteries at a certain rank opens up a new, Restricted skill, From there, the individual needs to gain X number of ranks to reach the different stages, and gain the powers and abilites therein. Rolemaster is not a game where people can switch professions, so by making Archmage it's own profession (or requiring them to have chosen a specific talent early on) means that they cannot later on try to go down the Dragon/Avangion path. One of the background parts of the Dark Sun setting was the templar that helped overthrow Kalak decided, later on, to try to become a Dragon himself. This implies that it is something that can be chosen later on, provided the person does certain things.

PiXeL01:
Thank you for your insight.

And I agree, that it should be something available to anyone able to obtain the knowledge, much like Magedrake which depends on the number of Arcane Lists you know.

I’ll drop the idea of Archmages again, though keep my decision on the background option “Archmage Abilities” to show that some have a greater knack at combining the talents of Magic and Psionics.
The most obvious solution to the next question would that targets resist spells based on the realm of the list the spell is from.
Character already have two Power Point pools, one for their realm of caster and one for Psionic wild talents. Of course Psionic/mentalism users only have one until they learn a list from either Essence or Channeling

The RM realm of Arcane could be the Psionic Enhancements and would be the only source of hybrid magic. When casting one of these spells should power be drawn 50% from each pool or full amount from both pools?

RandalThor:
I would think that Psionic/Mentalism users would also have two pools - until they learned to combine them. Learning an Essence or Channeling list just means they cast spells from the list using their normal pool of points.

As for the target's RR, that is a good question, and one I just now posed to the people on the ICE Discord server. I think that I always thought that one part of the increased DP cost was learning to "transfer" the spells into your source of power.

PiXeL01:
Apologies, while I know it is not a solution you agree with currently Psionic = Mentalism until
I come up with a better system. That is why there’s only one pool of PP for them.

As for RRs that’s true. It could been seen as converting a spell list to your own realm so a spell cast by a magician is always Essence etc. in core.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version