Author Topic: Do you let Elemental Walls block some of the element?  (Read 2863 times)

Offline MariusH

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Do you let Elemental Walls block some of the element?
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 01:56:31 AM »
Personally, I fear that particularly fire walls would become far too powerful if items on a person have to make RRs or catch fire.

That said, I DO wish the fire wall was a LITTLE more potent. It's the same level, and has the same duration, as an earth wall. While an earth wall usually effectively blocks any opponent trying to get through it for the duration, a fire wall can be passed at the cost of taking an "A" crit - although it probably has a far larger psychological impact on your foes than an earth wall would. I don't see this as a problem, but I dislike it being an "A" crit for one reason: Any Large creature can simply walk through the wall completely unharmed. It is possible that causing a "B" crit makes the wall too powerful (especially if you try to cast it ON someone, but I don't think that should be allowed anyway), although I doubt it. But even if it DID, I'd like the spell text to say "...however, large creatures also takes a crit when passing through the wall" or something like that. Oh, and the same goes for "Cold Wall", obviously.
There are three kinds of people: Those who know math, and those who don't

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 11:44:50 AM »
A to the potency of the spell, I agree with you MariusH. IMHO, Wall of Fire and Heat Solid should be swapped.
But since water makes a good heat sink, Boil Liquid wouldn't be 1st lvl in a natural progression.

To the point of A crits and Fire Spells, other than Fire Ball and Fire Bolt, you have to cast a 14th lvl Firestorm before you can be assured a B crit. :-\          Of course, Dir Spell will help with Bolts and any decent roll will help Balls be more potent. But I hear what you're saying.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline MariusH

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 01:19:10 PM »
Well, I agree that causing an assured B crit is powerful. However, with a fire wall, the crit is only given to those who actually pass through the wall, which is usually something they can choose not to (unless they are being thrown through it or something, but then they probably are in serious trouble anyway).

And the only REAL trouble I have with it being an "A" crit, is that it means it's no barrier AT ALL against any large creature. And I think it SHOULD be. Anyone can cross it at the cost of an "A" crit, and I think large creatures should cross it at the cost of a "magic crit" - possibly with a modifier, if it's too potent. Anyway, that's my opinion :)
There are three kinds of people: Those who know math, and those who don't