Author Topic: Dragonkin  (Read 3086 times)

Offline fac

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World's aficionado
Dragonkin
« on: May 28, 2010, 08:37:29 AM »
In my current game I'm using some Earthdawn books, and I planned that one player is kin to a great dragon. Of course I'm changing lots of things in the books to fit with SW, and it works quite well.

But I'm reaching the point when the PC should discover some of his powers, this what I planned:
- See invisible
- +25 to Perception
- Sparkling eyes , +15 to influence
- +30 to RR against Sleep or Charm
- Bonus to CO, ST and AG

My plan is that the PC should get one of this powers and it would take a long time to get a new one, the theory behind is that he will be more powerful as he becomes older but this is a slow process, the other way to get a power is a sort of override when he's close to death. I mean really really close.

Any suggestion or idea is welcome.... Thanks
You must feel the thought and think the feeling

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Dragonkin
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 11:08:58 AM »
If you have a copy of Oriental Companion from RM2, I would suggest taking a look at it. If you don't have it, then visit the online store as it is available in PDF format [Dead Link Removed by Admin]

In it, there is this "blessing (a background option) called "Child of the Dragon King". It grants a number of powers/abilities (based on the Oriental Dragon though).

You could look at it, and maybe build something based on it.

It includes such things as
Immortality (i.e. like elves are immortal)
Damage Reduction
bonuses to physical stats
bonuses to RRs
recognition (i.e. other dragons recognize the kinship)
shapeshifting (chance to change shape, not an automatic thing)

Perhaps have such things as stat and RR bonuses be incremental (i.e. +1 per level or every other level or every third level).

The thing to do is to decide WHAT level you want the abilities to max out at, and then use that to determine the interval of the increments. For example, if you decide that 50th level is a good level to max out at, and you are giving a +25 to RRs and a +10 to all physical stats, then the RRs would get +1 every other level, and the stats would get +1 every 5 levels (if more than one stat, you could even spread it out across multiple levels (i.e. +1 St at lvl3, +1 Co @ lvl4, +1Ag @ lvl 5, +1Qu@lvl 6, +1 St @ lvl 8, etc..)

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 09:01:26 AM by Thom @ ICE, Reason: [Dead Link Removed by Admin] »

Offline fac

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World's aficionado
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 04:20:14 AM »
Thanks Rasyr,

I own a copy of Oriental Companion but maybe I will buy the PDF.

Anyway, I wanted something different that fits better with my idea of dragons being more powerful as they become older so your system looks fine.
You must feel the thought and think the feeling

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 10:18:24 PM »
Thanks Rasyr,

I own a copy of Oriental Companion but maybe I will buy the PDF.

Anyway, I wanted something different that fits better with my idea of dragons being more powerful as they become older so your system looks fine.

There is also a spell list in Shades of Darkness that changes a person into a dragon that might be useful. Or not.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 08:31:19 AM »
I imagine that when a dragon sees someone , he sees like a perfect mix of normal sight and infravision , but they don't see invisible.

So if a invisible one approach them then the dragon will see a kind of aura of heat around the body.  Don't know why, i only imagine it that way.

I like your idea about being more powerful with time, it is something well stablished in vampire movies and games. Older vampires are more powerful, faster, and stronger. Older vampires seems to achieve more power controlling the minds of their victims. Probably will begin with only a "target feels the caster is a good friend", and become more powerful to paralyze or hypnotize someone.

Older vampires had also more powers to change , and transform in wolfs, bog, bats, etc. Maybe with time he can develop some changes to a dragon: firebreath, fly, can hibernate for long periods of time (useful to become older), better smell, better hearing, harder skin...

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline metallion

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Winterdream Online
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 01:30:56 PM »
I figure the dragon doesn't see the invisble.

It doesn't have to.  It hears their hearts beat and smells their sweat and body oils.  It feels the air shift as it's displaced by their movement.