Author Topic: Character Sheet Generation Software  (Read 3633 times)

Offline Michael Niemeck

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Character Sheet Generation Software
« on: September 18, 2009, 12:14:49 AM »
The threads on XML Schemas below (that I just recently discovered) made me come out of lurking and chip in my 2¢. Let me know if this is of general interest and you want more detail.

As any software engineer playing Rolemaster (RMSS in my case), I had various runs at writing my own character generation software (somehow the system brings this out in people...), starting with, but not stopping at, an Excel Workbook of truly epic proportions. As many before (and after) me, eventually I got lost in optionalities, house rules, companions, even more exceptions to even more rules, arbitrary GM rulings, all the things that brake a well-designed, clean, straightforward software just as you would snap a twig.

So, some time during the last century, I took a huge step back, thought hard about what I really needed, and decided to write a character sheet generation software instead of a character generation software (Planning on reviving our old RMSS group, this time with me GMing for the first time *shiver*, I just did a major overhaul of the software, switching to XML for data storage, which ties this post in with the other threads). So what’s the big difference? Essentially, my software only aids in preparing and typesetting a character sheet resembling those printed in the appendix of the RMSS Standard rules. The actual process of character generation and development is still done using pen & paper, which suits me just fine, as we never did use computers during actual play.

The system would, for example, just record the number of ranks you have in each category or skill, not caring where each rank came from (Adolescence, a training package, a gift from the GM). It would know about development costs of categories, since they ought to be filled in on the official sheets from the book, but it would not know about TP costs. In short, it would not keep track of the entire character development process, just record its end result. That’s basically what a handwritten sheet does for you, while saving you a lot of arithmetics and with a much neater look to it.

So back than I sat down and asked myself, “What is the minimum set of information, rules and tables I need in order to print a character sheet just as is proposed in the appendix of the RMSR”, and “Out of this, what is dynamic info actually chooseable by the player, and what is fixed by the rules, and only, if at all, tuneable by the GM”.

The end result in the current version, and what might probably interest others, is a very slim and crisp XML Schema for character information storage, that contains everything you need to know about a character to typeset a character record sheet for playing, and nothing more.

Perhaps this (finally making my point) might be a thing to consider when you talk about defining a standard format for storing and sharing character information.

Let me know what you think.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Character Sheet Generation Software
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 03:04:57 PM »
 I have something very basic that that I use now do to house rules and other stuff. The sheet uses the info inputed by the player to calculate the DP spent per level as well as the total skill bonus. I have separate cells for TP's, Adol, GM and other ranks. The only info I have input is the skills and categories.

I do think others would like to see what you have done and I would submit it to ICE to see if you can post it or not. I am just a volunteer so I know very little if anything.
MDC   
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 10:09:16 PM »
HI,

I am going to have a go at doing this for HARP.

Essentially a web-form for entering character data, saving and editing on a database and printing it out later.
Did you create a windows based program or a web based one? (or linux or mac OS?)

I havent written any software for a while (last one was a Combat initative and HP handling program in GTK & MySQL in linux.. :) )
I am looking forward to getting my feet wet again.

:)
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 05:13:10 AM »
In a few weeks I plan to start an Open Source project whereas the finished product will be a full-GUI windows application which should work under Windows, OSX and Linux. It will use WxWidgets, C++ and XML. It will start small (New Character, New Level, Items, General Maintenance, Martial Arts) and will eventually start to include many rules from other books. It will focus on RMSS/RMFRP at first however SpaceMaster, RMC and Harp which would be further down the road are also on the map.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 12:54:34 PM »
In a few weeks I plan to start an Open Source project whereas the finished product will be a full-GUI windows application which should work under Windows, OSX and Linux. It will use WxWidgets, C++ and XML. It will start small (New Character, New Level, Items, General Maintenance, Martial Arts) and will eventually start to include many rules from other books. It will focus on RMSS/RMFRP at first however SpaceMaster, RMC and Harp which would be further down the road are also on the map.

Sweet.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 07:15:55 PM »
All this excitement just around the corner..
I can't wait to see 'em /participate!
Get cracking :whip:
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 10:38:47 PM »
YAHCS is ready to go live... just waiting on a few responses....
PS: I'll be deleting my test characters but all your accounts and characters that have details in them (the blank characters will also be deleted) will be copied across..

Thanks to the people who have been helping by creating characters and testing for me!
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 07:21:44 AM »
The current YAHCS has been archived and is at version 1.0.
Any further modifications will not be displayed on the final website, which will almost certainly be on:

http://yahcs.ironcrown.com

BTW: Anyone for an RM version or three?
(Is there RM Classic, RMFRP, and RM2? What version are "Officially" supported by ICE and which ones are archaic versions that are effectively archived? Is there call for older versions to have an online character sheet program?)

--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 12:25:20 PM »
The current YAHCS has been archived and is at version 1.0.
Any further modifications will not be displayed on the final website, which will almost certainly be on:

http://yahcs.ironcrown.com

For those who try the link -- it isn't live yet (so it may appear broken), and we are still discussing the subdomain name to be used. Everything else is apparently all good to go.  ;D

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 09:27:32 PM »
The actual link will be http://harpcs.ironcrown.com/

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 07:07:34 AM »
The actual link will be http://harpcs.ironcrown.com/

It's alive!!!

Offline enoch

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • just me
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 04:45:26 PM »
Hi Jason, the "new" site (<http://harpcs.ironcrown.com/>) recognizes my username but my password isn't working. Is there a way to reset my password?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 05:29:17 PM »
Hi Jason, the "new" site (<http://harpcs.ironcrown.com/>) recognizes my username but my password isn't working. Is there a way to reset my password?

I have sent you a PM so that you can login now.

Offline enoch

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • just me
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 09:38:20 PM »
Huzzah!