Author Topic: Does Silence type magic affect spell casting?  (Read 2506 times)

Offline Bletor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Does Silence type magic affect spell casting?
« on: June 17, 2009, 06:23:19 AM »
In the spell law is written, casting styles paragraph, that for essence and channeling users it's necessary to use verbal component in casting a spell; so what's happen if a user o those realms tries to cast a spell and is affected (or in the range) by a spell like Silence (sound molding-illusionist base)?

I've think to give a penalty to spell casting or something like ESF...don't know, what do you think is the best way to handle this situations?

sorry for my poor english

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Does Silence type magic affect spell casting?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 07:11:56 AM »
In RMFRP, the Use of Voice does gives modifiers for casting. Personally, I think that the negative mods were a bit low, so for RMC I would have them as follows:

Channeling
None     = -20
Whisper = -10
Normal   = +0
Shout    = +10

Essence
None     = -10
Whisper = -5
Normal   = +0
Shout    = +5

Mentalism
no mods for voice either way

Offline Bletor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 07:31:30 AM »
Thank you very much Rasyr for the quick reply!

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 07:37:16 AM »
OTOH spells like Silence still allow the caster to use his voice normally - only the sound is not heard outside the radius. So the caster is using his voice, why should he be penalized in his casting? E.g. the Ranger R is affected by a Silence spell, so that none of the sounds he makes leaves a 10' radius. Why should a Resistance I spell that he casts get a penalty for not using his voice? He is using it, just noone outside the 10' radius can hear him, so what.

Offline Bletor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 07:41:57 AM »
Another thing, but also an illusionist that casts silence upon him is affected by these penalties?

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 08:10:44 AM »
I'd say it depends on how much you consider the verbal component to be a part of spellcasting. For RM2, the Spell Users Companion offers a section on how to handle spells components, may it be the vocal part, the gesture part, the needs for some physical component, etc. in ?2.3, Magic Minutiae.

That being said, I don't think a Silence spell should affect spell casting at all. As Ecthelion said, the verbal component was performed, and audible. Sound doesn't travel in and out the silence area, but it is indeed created and the spellcaster himself hears it.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Bletor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 08:33:54 AM »
That being said, I don't think a Silence spell should affect spell casting at all. As Ecthelion said, the verbal component was performed, and audible. Sound doesn't travel in and out the silence area, but it is indeed created and the spellcaster himself hears it.

Ok but now about the meaning of verbal component in a case of attack spell: Is it necessary that the target of a spell hears it or the spell caster is able to speak??

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 09:13:23 AM »
I personally don't think the target needs to hear the name of the spell being shouted (save it's a sonic attack spell ;)) in any case. As for the spell caster himself needing to hear himself saying the incantation, it all depends on why, in your world, there's a need for verbal components. Is it only to help the caster to concentrate [on the incantation itself], the way it's easier to understand a text by reading it aloud? Do Words have a power by themselves, and need to be vocally addressed to the World, or Reality itself? Does the spellcaster just need to externalize his power/feelings/energy and, well, shouting them is the easiest way? Etc.

In any case, it all depends on the GM's world, and doesn't have an easy answer. I recall I had a lengthy discussion about the matter in the old RM mailing-list with Joel Blair, back in 1998, and I don't recall any of us or other members had a definite answer to that question.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 09:26:05 AM »
In agreement with Olf..

If the rules state shouting gives a bonus, but the subject doesn't need to hear (many spells).....IMO, it just gives the caster focus.
I always likened it to KIA!! shout by martial artists. With enough training, it may not always be necessary, but it always helps.

On a similar note, the magical languages could be similar, as focus. Magical language could also be closer to the "language" of the magical forces the caster is attempting to entreat/cajole/demand.

Just thought it was related.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"