Author Topic: Spell Types?  (Read 2858 times)

Offline arnecooper

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spell Types?
« on: June 13, 2009, 10:48:47 AM »
I have the old version of Spell Law. Under the spell descriptions, after the name of each spell is a letter in parenthesis, i.e. (F) or (I) and so on. I cannot find anything that explains what those letters refer to. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Spell Types?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 11:18:14 AM »
Everything is explained in the RM2 Spell Law in section 11.3, The Spell Description Key, p35.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 11:20:22 AM »
BY "old version of Spell Law", you are referring to the RM2 Spell Law with the red stripe down the spine-side of the book, then the definition of the spell types/classes can be found on page 35.

Granted the definitions are a bit sketchy, but that is all there is in that product.

Later versions of Spell Law (specifically the RMC version) go into a lot more detail (and even change/add slightly) these spell types.

Offline arnecooper

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 12:12:46 PM »
I think I have an older version of Spell Law. It goes from section 9.9243 on page 21 to section 12 on page 22. After another look, I did find table 11.313 (definitions and notations) in very small print at the end of the books for each realm. Wow, this thing is not well organized.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 01:24:48 PM »
Wow, this thing is not well organized.

Hence the subtle suggestion about picking up the RMC version.  ;D

One of the issues with the older Spell Laws is a bit of built in confusion on how to resolve Passive spells and Informational spells. The RMC Spell Law removes the Passive spell type (reclassifying all such spells as either utility or informational) and providing a better explanation on how to resolve informational spells.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 01:57:15 PM »
I think I have an older version of Spell Law. It goes from section 9.9243 on page 21 to section 12 on page 22. After another look, I did find table 11.313 (definitions and notations) in very small print at the end of the books for each realm. Wow, this thing is not well organized.
Oh, I think I recall this edition. Isn't it a small orange or yellow book? I think it's the original RM1 edition!
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 05:38:41 AM »
Oh, I think I recall this edition. Isn't it a small orange or yellow book? I think it's the original RM1 edition!

Give it to us! We wants it - t'was only yours by chance. *attempts to strangle arnecooper and take the ancient tome for himself*

Offline Winterknight

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 03:15:35 PM »
Ha! That's one of the versions I have as well, if it's the one I think he means.  It was part of the boxed set that came out in the mid-80's, with Character Law/Campaign law in one volume, Arms law/Claw Law (on light card stock) in a second, and Spell Law in the third.  IIRC, the original cover was a bluish color.  My cover has long since fallen away, but I refuse to give up my book.

But, that's RM2, right?  The one where the chanelling, essence, and mentalism pamphlet-type books were separated into individual realms was the original RM1, correct?  When the material was revised for a unified system (somewhat) rather than as simply supplements to other games, that's when it became RM2 as I understand the breakdown.
Ex post facto.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 03:22:44 PM »
If ever there was a question meant for ob1knorrb, this is one of them. I suspect it's a very late RM1, or more likely very early RM2. . . .but I bet Brent would be able to very specifically identify it. (Heck, it's probably easy enough to just check his cover database. . . .BRB. . .)
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 04:30:20 PM »
Ha! That's one of the versions I have as well, if it's the one I think he means.  It was part of the boxed set that came out in the mid-80's, with Character Law/Campaign law in one volume, Arms law/Claw Law (on light card stock) in a second, and Spell Law in the third.  IIRC, the original cover was a bluish color.  My cover has long since fallen away, but I refuse to give up my book.

But, that's RM2, right?  The one where the chanelling, essence, and mentalism pamphlet-type books were separated into individual realms was the original RM1, correct?  When the material was revised for a unified system (somewhat) rather than as simply supplements to other games, that's when it became RM2 as I understand the breakdown.

If the books have #'s on them it would be easier to tell you. But IMO it is as LordMiller said late RM1 or early RM2.

So the rule system errata you should be looking for is RM2 and maybe at RMC but as Rasyr said the RMC Spell Law has been updated and a lot of changes have been made to make it run easier and smother.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.