Author Topic: Armors  (Read 2435 times)

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Armors
« on: January 19, 2009, 06:41:51 AM »
Hi to All Folks here ;)
What if a Troll (AT 11) wears a hauberk?
What if a man wears a AT 5 under a AT 20? I know that in the old RM2 there was a rule about it but I don't recall it!
Tanx for the answers!
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
Re: Armors
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 07:09:45 AM »
It's funny you should ask that - I asked the same thing a month ago (as I had just purchased an armoured troll from the LOTR warhammer range to use in encounters) and the answer was that the higher AT number is used each time and the natural (or secondary) armour is ignored.

...that is unless you're using the combat companion which takes natural armour into account. :)
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 10:04:20 AM »
I thought that the formula was:
high AT- low AT-2 X 10 bonus to DB...
If a Troll (AT 11) wears a hauberk (AT 16):
16-11=5-2= 3X10 bonus to DB.
Am I wrong?

for the man who wears a AT 5 under a AT 20 I think it isn't a good idea cos' in the reality a man who wears a full plate armor, already wears a  quilted coat/jacket and mail under...not bare skin under plate!...OOOUUUCCCHHH ;D
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline Winterknight

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 11:02:04 AM »
Wouldn't then the padding already be factored into the higher armor type?

I know when I layer clothes in winter, the biggest effect is the hindered movement.  I'd say that if you were to stack two armor types, at least ones that are definitely distinct sets of clothing, that you should probably double or triple the additional movement/maneuver penalty for the second (underlying) armor.

For natural armor, though, I like the idea of adding an additional layer of defense.  Natural armor should be unencumbering to the creature, but they may find that normal armor is even more so.  Again, I'd consider some kind of maneuver penalty to the outer armor, when layered over a troll's hide, for example.  They get the increased DB, sure, but it's just not a "natural" movement effect for them.
Ex post facto.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 12:01:49 PM »
officially, in RMC, if you wear multiple armors, you use the highest AT, and the maneuver and other mods from both armors are combined.

blag flag -- I am not sure where you got that formula. Perhaps it was from one of the old Rolemaster Companions. If that is so, then it can, at best, be considered a possible option, not an official rule or official option (this being partially due to the current status of those products).

Also, there is a problem with that formula, in that if gives huges DB bonuses with combinations that are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. For example wearing robes (AT2) under Plate (AT 20), would, by that formula, give a much higher bonus to DB than wearing Chain (AT 16) under plate.

AT 20 - AT 2 = 18 - 2 = 16 x 10 = +160 to DB ?!?!?!?!?
vs
AT 20 - AT 16 = 4 - 2 = 2 x 10 = +20 to DB

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 12:37:20 PM »
officially, in RMC, if you wear multiple armors, you use the highest AT, and the maneuver and other mods from both armors are combined.

blag flag -- I am not sure where you got that formula. Perhaps it was from one of the old Rolemaster Companions. If that is so, then it can, at best, be considered a possible option, not an official rule or official option (this being partially due to the current status of those products).

Also, there is a problem with that formula, in that if gives huges DB bonuses with combinations that are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. For example wearing robes (AT2) under Plate (AT 20), would, by that formula, give a much higher bonus to DB than wearing Chain (AT 16) under plate.

AT 20 - AT 2 = 18 - 2 = 16 x 10 = +160 to DB ?!?!?!?!?
vs
AT 20 - AT 16 = 4 - 2 = 2 x 10 = +20 to DB

I'm agree with you there's a problem...but to me, this rule must be applied to creatures with natural armour who wear armours, not a robe (AT2) under a plate!
Don't forget that in this case this rule isn't realistic because no one is nude under a plate...what is a plate armour? It's quilted jacket+ mail+ plates.

Troll humour:
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 02:42:18 PM »
Companion VI had a formular used for this situation. It stated that you would used the AT of the Bigger and then add additional DB equal to twice the lesser AT minus 2.

So to completely quote the article, if a mountain troll with natural AT11 would wear a AT16 in combat the result would be AT16 +20DB.

If this is used for natural armor layering then penalties for the armor is combined and half the weight of the armor is counted towards encumberance.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame