Author Topic: The Temple of Elemental Evil Conversion?  (Read 3827 times)

Offline Magi

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
The Temple of Elemental Evil Conversion?
« on: January 05, 2009, 09:33:05 AM »
Does anyone know where I could find a conversion document for Rolemaster Classic of The Temple of Elemental Evil (T1-4).

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil Conversion?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 07:36:14 AM »
Hi Mate!
No I didn't work on this module (I have the old french version) but this can help You I think:
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item672

You must doing many reconversions (Zzugtmoy ??? for low levels adventurers??) but as we told in France: "le jeu en vaut la chandelle!" ;)
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 09:11:39 AM »
In English:  the game is worth the candle

This obviously lost something in translation.  :hm:
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 09:41:56 AM »
In English:  the game is worth the candle

This obviously lost something in translation.  :hm:

Yeah...
black flag, what exactly is the point you are making?
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 10:45:12 AM »
I've got many greyhawk modules (I really likes this setting) like Falcon Revenge and others but I think for games like RM/HARP The Temple Of Elemental Evil don't fit it...Dungeons crawling are very inadapted for "realistic" ICE game rules and pure Dungeon crawling (too many underground levels without seeing the sunlight save for a lay healer or a potions seller) are so boring to me(I liked them in my first game sessions in 1986 with AD&D1).

For my sentence "Le jeu en vaut la chandelle" I wanted say that for a game master who likes Dungeon Crawlings, making the reconversions of a big module like Temple of Elemental Evil will be long and exhausting but "profitable".
Excuse me for my unclear post but it's hard to express in english ;D
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 10:59:04 AM »
black flag, I tend to agree with you. Dungeon crawls are really not RM's cup o' tea...
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 11:40:45 AM »
black flag, I tend to agree with you. Dungeon crawls are really not RM's cup o' tea...

In fact I don't like too big Dungeons: the module is only the dungeon; but I like very much "classic" stories with roleplaying, investigations,explorations of unknown countries, and even exploring a little dungeon (an old tomb full of Evil Dead for example) with no more than a handful of halls...
Troll humour:
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 11:54:11 AM »
Have you looked at the "Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh" in the Vault?

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item317

It is for HARP, but I'm sure you have the ability to modify it...
www.strategypage.com

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 12:51:05 PM »
Have you looked at the "Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh" in the Vault?

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item317

It is for HARP, but I'm sure you have the ability to modify it...

Yes I know this old classic module for AD&D1 (the french translation is 1987/88 I think); I've got the Falcon Revenge series, the Star Cairns, even the complete Temple of Elemental Evil and the sequels: Against the Giants and the mythic struggle versus Lolth at the very end (but I didn't it at all !!) and series from MERP and so, and so...I think that I can master roleplaying sessions to my death ;D
Troll humour:
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 04:35:08 PM »
 IMO RM can be used for any style of RPing, but I will admit that it is much tougher to dungon crawl in RM then D&D. In the past the way I have dealt with it is by having healing potions and other disposable spells easily accessable to the party. The stuff does not necessarily have to be magic it can be herbal in nature with a short life span after it is prepaired.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 03:38:04 AM »
IMO RM can be used for any style of RPing, but I will admit that it is much tougher to dungon crawl in RM then D&D. In the past the way I have dealt with it is by having healing potions and other disposable spells easily accessable to the party. The stuff does not necessarily have to be magic it can be herbal in nature with a short life span after it is prepaired.

MDC

I am with you here, currently running Rise of the Runelords from Paizo with RM and so far so good. Loads of dungeoncrawls there but atleast they do have a good background story. But I do have found that as markc says that healing is the biggest problem. But that is easily changed as he said with the easy access of potions and herbs. Funny enough they don't care to much about concussion hits it's the ones that heals the bleeds that they use the most. But that is understandable, even a small bleed can be your downfall even if not hurt to bad. It's just a matter of time.

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 09:59:48 AM »
The true problem with Dungeon crawlings aren't the rules...but the fact that this types of modules are too long and boring to me! even with D&D!
Troll humour:
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 12:07:38 PM »
Gamer's lexicon:

Pub Crawl: n. an expedition to visit a series of pubs, taverns, saloons or similar establishments, kill everyone there and loot the bodies.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 03:24:34 PM »
Gamer's lexicon:

Pub Crawl: n. an expedition to visit a series of pubs, taverns, saloons or similar establishments, kill everyone there and loot the bodies.
Yes you kill everyone by chalenging to a drinking contest. Or you could also say that you could kill everyone of your brain cells except for those that you have proteted by a healing spell.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Magi

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
Thanks for the help  ??? I guess back to the old writing tablet just want to make something as evil and vile as the temple that i can send my players through when they tend to get cocky and think they can take on the world with out a scratch.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 11:22:12 PM »
Thanks for the help  ??? I guess back to the old writing tablet just want to make something as evil and vile as the temple that i can send my players through when they tend to get roostery and think they can take on the world with out a scratch.
IMO you could always run it as a dream sequence and the players do not really die.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 01:24:22 PM »
IMO you could always run it as a dream sequence and the players do not really die.
MDC
Ya should be a good lesson, especially for those players thinking they can take on anything.
Me myself coming from a BRP background player letality was something I was used to but have noticed that D&D sometimes change the perception in players of what their characters can handle.
They need to understand that just because something is featured in the adventure you don't have to fight it.
I don't remember much from the Temple of Elemental Evil but I do remember something it was something like a baptism of dungeoncrawlers and probably to intensive for RM players, but if running it as markc suggested could be interesting. Even encountered something similar as a player in Twilight 2000 and was one of the best adventures in the campaign, and the end of the adventure we woke up but before that not knowing it was a dream since it was tied in to what we where doing in our current campaign.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 08:52:01 PM »
I suppose that depends on what you mean by "Dungeon Crawl".  If you mean an old-school "Thud and Blunder" hackfest, then RMC might not be the system to run the campaign in.

However, I think RMC would lend itself quite well to a dungeon which involved tricks, traps, puzzles, investigating ruins, and the occasional monster festival.  Just look at the "Great Pyramid" adventure in Mythic Egypt:  traps, mummies, stone golems, a vengeful ghost, poisoned shrines.....
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 04:05:50 AM »
Ya I agree, despite running RM I don't mind to still throw DC (Dungeon Crawl) at the players now and then, for me a Dungeon Crawl is a site based adventure that resolves around exploring an indoors setting with a greater amount of rooms (not a small one room cabin for example). That means a dungeon for me can vary wildy in quality or size, since I have a wide definition.
 To be honest DC is not a negative reference just a term for the type of adventure (atleast for me). But to be honest most of the DC adventures from those WotC dudes are not that good (but some are still good). Usually just a bunch of rooms loosely connected and too large and uninteresting dungeons. Not fun bashing through 50 boring rooms for several adventures sessions. Combat and avoiding traps for usually gets repetive after a while.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
Keep in mind that I'm not a big module hound and never have been, so I may just be displaying my ignorance here. I haven't looked over a lot of pre-packaged DCs, but the few I have, the problem I always had with them is that there seems to be very little overall theme.
Consider that someone, somewhere, put a lot of labor and a lot of money into the construction of whatever structure now comprises the "dungeon". It's a safe bet that they did not do all that for the sake of entertaining a party of adventurers a couple hundred years after they die. All those traps, yes, they were designed with the idea of making your (the unauthorized entrant and looter) life terminally interesting. But they were NOT supposed to kill off the owner of the place, his guests, his servants or his pets, just because they suffered a failure of attention span. Those who lived and worked in a given area should have been perfectly safe just by virtue of knowing those traps existed. They should be able to go down a trapped hallway at a dead run, in darkness, wounded and panicking. You, following behind them 10 seconds later, should be in danger of your life every step of the way.
I feel like an intelligent explorer, looking over a structure, should possibly be able to figure out who built it and for what purpose. That knowledge alone should make him safe from half or more of the traps and hazards of the structure itself. A little cautious exploration, finding out the mindset and priorities of the designers, should give you enough information that most of the precautions necessary to avoid traps and such should be obvious. In short, traps that are still functional, integrated into the design logic of a structure back when *it* was still functional, should mostly only bite the unthinking and the unobservant. The real danger from traps should come from those that are now malfunctioning, and thus still bite when they are supposed to be disarmed, or no longer doing what they were designed to do.
Monsters? Same thing. If there isn't anything for it to eat where it is, it shouldn't still be there. A Ranger or Animist should be able to look at the environment in which a ruin is set, and should be able to predict with fair accuracy what creatures will be found where. A dragon living in the shell of the old keep, ranging 50 to 100 miles a day to find the tons of food it requires every week, should have long ago eaten the hill giants living in the gatehouse.
As noted above, I haven't looked over a lot of modules, and it has been many years since I looked over a DC module at all. Perhaps that tendency has changed. I certainly hope so.

For the *other* kind of dungeon, the kind in which skill in Civil Engineering, or Region Lore (north temperate alpine, local fauna), or Architecture (security systems) would actually be as or more useful than the ability to remain standing after everything within half a mile has shown up to pound on your head..... yeah, for that kind of "dungeon", I think RM is good.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula