Author Topic: One more question about Movement.  (Read 2942 times)

Offline Aramis

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
One more question about Movement.
« on: January 04, 2009, 01:34:05 AM »
Its late and I'm having trouble wraping my head around the Movement Guidelines in Rolemaster Classic. It stats:
A character is required to spend 10% activity for each 10% of their BMR rate (times their Pace Multiplier).

So, if I have a character 35 feet away and my movement is 50 BMR. Lets say I want to run there and Its a routine run. Then 35' becomes 35% because I am running which brings my BMR to 100 and 35' is 35% of 100. I would then roll a routine Maneuver roll on the maneuver chart and say I come up with a 100. This would mean that I have covered the 35 feet and have 65% action left to attack or whatever I wanted to do?

Lets say that the above all stays the same but this time the player does not run, then the activity percentage would be 70% because 35 ft is 70% of 50 feet (35 divided 50 = 70%)

Just one more to see if I got this

I want to sprint 60 feet. My BMR is 50. My math would be: 60 divided by 50 x 3 = 40% activity 60 feet moved.

Is this how its done or am I doing it wrong?
G Mo

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: One more question about Movement.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 04:47:50 AM »
That looks about right to me.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
Yup, except for one small thing.

I would then roll a routine Maneuver roll on the maneuver chart and say I come up with a 100. This would mean that I have covered the 35 feet and have 65% action left to attack or whatever I wanted to do?

No maneuver roll is required UNLESS the circumstances are unusual and/or of a difficulty higher than normal, OR the character is trying to perform other maneuvers.

For example, to Run 35',  over comparatively level ground (road, path, constructed floor, etc), I would not require any sort of maneuver roll.

However, trying to grab something off of a table as you run past (or trying to draw your weapon while running) would start off as an "Easy" maneuver, and then have its difficulty jacked up from there based on any other factors involved.

Trying to run over rough, uneven ground would start off as an "Easy" maneuver

And don't forget that armor can reduce one's movement rate (and so can encumbrance), removing the Quickness bonus from the BMR.

You will want to read the section on Movement starting on page 140 of the RMC Character Law.

Offline Aramis

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 11:53:40 AM »
Ok I got it. But I thought they had to roll a maneuver roll when they were in combat because they are "under pressure" from the attackers? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of having not to roll everytime a player runs up to attack. So, just to verify, they only have to roll on the maneuver chart when they experience something similar to one of your actions described above.

However, trying to grab something off of a table as you run past (or trying to draw your weapon while running) would start off as an "Easy" maneuver, and then have its difficulty jacked up from there based on any other factors involved.

Trying to run over rough, uneven ground would start off as an "Easy" maneuver

Thank you again, I'll keep them coming. I feel I am getting a grasp on all of this now and really appreciate all the help from everyone.
G Mo

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 02:31:14 PM »
Maneuver rolls should only be rolled in situations where the conditions involved can effect the outcome. AND where it is important to the flow of the game (i.e. where success/failure really matters)

Moving across a room (and moving less than 50% your total possible movement) is not really all that stressful, even if in combat. Now if that movement were across a rickety bridge over lava, or if the room is shaking because there is an earthquake, then a roll might be used.

The idea is to NOT roll for every single thing. But to only call for rolls when it is important or when you want to up the tension a little bit (and especially where failure is important).

Rolling to cross a room during combat isn't something I consider as requiring a roll. Trying to Dash across the room might need a roll, or moving faster than a Run (2 x BMR), but not simple Running (or Jogging - 1.5 x BMR). The character still has plenty of self control there (which is why trying to perform actions while running starts off as being an Easy maneuver

But remember, difficulty levels ARE cumulative (i.e. trying to perform a Very Hard Maneuver while running ups it to being an Extremely Hard maneuver at the very least).

Offline Aramis

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 02:50:26 PM »
Thanks again for the explanation.
G Mo

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 03:09:45 PM »
No problem. I just hope it was coherent enough to get across the point I was trying to make.  ;D

Offline jeff

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 06:35:32 PM »
Rasyr

So do the rules read; You can even sprint and make an attack as long as you don't exceed 50%? We have always played you can move up to a run max and anything over that must be a full move that round. Thoughts?
JBailey

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 06:49:56 PM »
While there are no limits within the rules, RMC Arms Law (page 30) recommends that movement in combat (and while performing other actions) be limited to the pace of Run. (It also states that some actions do better with a running start and that pace up to a Dash could be allowed -- i.e. a running jump).

Personally, unless a character has a round to prepare, I would limit them to increasing their pace no more than 2 steps in a single round (i.e. a running waiting for the go can go from a prepared stance to a Dash, in a single round while a person in combat can only go from their Walk to a Run in one round.

Aramis - slight update to what I said earlier about not needing a maneuver roll in combat. That comment only applies if the character is not under direct attack (i.e. melee, or ranged). If he is under an attack when he tries to move, then most definitely, a maneuver roll would likely be called for.

Offline jeff

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 09:03:05 AM »
Thanks Rasyr. By the way are you playing in the Lost Zodiac game? If so I'm Tanner.
JBailey

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 09:57:25 AM »
Sorry, but no idea what the "Lost Zodiac" game is.   ;D

Offline Aramis

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 05:11:53 PM »
Aramis - slight update to what I said earlier about not needing a maneuver roll in combat. That comment only applies if the character is not under direct attack (i.e. melee, or ranged). If he is under an attack when he tries to move, then most definitely, a maneuver roll would likely be called for.

So, he/she/it can run up to those he wishes to attack as long as they have initiative with out making a maneuver roll right? Then if he the characters want to move around (change position or to flank) but not "disengage" they would have to make a maneuver roll then?
G Mo

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 06:24:57 PM »
Pretty much yes. However, I was talking about moving into, out of, or through an area where you might be subject to a melee attack.

In regards to the comment about "changing position" or "moving to flank". Keep in mind that changing the direction in which your character is facing IS NOT considered to be movement in the same sense that you are talking about it.

If two characters are fighting and one tries to maneuver around to the other's flank, it won't work cause all the other has to do is change facing with him. (The only exception being if you can catch him by surprise, which would be very hard to do in melee, and you would still need to be able to attack in the same round (as next round he will turn to face you)

Now, if you and a friend were occupying his attention, then you might be able to do it by splitting his attention, thus allowing one of you a better change to get flank or rear bonuses (and even then only for a moment or two (for the rear bonuses).

Normally, combat is presumed to include some incidental movement (i.e. changing facing, moving forwards and back in small amounts (one or two steps, i.e. about 5-6'), etc..), and it is considered to average out (i.e. net change of zero) without special maneuvers being performed.

Offline Aramis

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 07:33:15 PM »
Sorry I did not clarify, but I did mean flanking with two people. I should have explained it better . Also, what you say makes pleanty of sense to me too. Danke.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 09:14:26 PM by Aramis »
G Mo