Author Topic: Question about weight and coins  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Aramis

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Question about weight and coins
« on: January 03, 2009, 10:51:53 AM »
How much do coins weigh. Do we make up a standard on our own like: 50 coins = 1lb or 100 =1lb. I am only asking so that I know how much dead weight it is for Encumberance. I have been using 50 coins = 1lb. However, if there is a standard in the rules could someone please point me in the right direction.
G Mo

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Question about weight and coins
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 11:06:25 AM »
IIRC, it was something like 32 coins in a pound on average - which would make each coin weigh 1/2 and ounce.

I cannot remember where I read that, but that is generally what I use.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 11:48:59 AM »
In RMSS Treasure Companion (#5601), at the bottom right of pg. 5 under the heading "Assumptions":
"As stated in RMSS, the weight of a coin is one quarter of an ounce." To be fair, I have no foggiest idea where that is "stated in RMSS", but that would make it 64 coins to the pound, regardless of type. And of course as always, you use what works for you. If your players have gotten comfortable figuring weights based on 50 coins to the pound, I personally wouldn't make them refigure everything. After all, it's under the heading "Assumptions", and you know the old saying about what happens when you assume.

;)
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 11:54:42 AM »
IIRC, in HARP, 50 coins= 1 pound.
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 12:20:07 PM »
RMC calls for 1/4 ounce weight .... (Pg 96)
64 coins per pound

Note: HARP does call for 50 coins per pound.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Aramis

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 01:02:38 PM »
I see on page 97 it stats that the GM may wish to tinker with the coin weights (e.g. using half-ounce or tenth-ounce currency), or add his own materials standards. This is in the first paragraph on page 97.

TJones I don't see where you are telling me to look, but I have been told by my wife that I'm blind sometimes so that might be what my problem is  :D

I am looking in RMC ChL so I could be looking in the wrong book too.
G Mo

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 05:59:24 PM »
This is quoted from RMC Ch p.96 (just above the table with coin standards).

We suggesst the following comparative exchange system, using coins of a uniform one-quarter ounce weight:

And then comes the table with the different coins.

This helps with the above assumptions that the standard coins used are about 1/4 ounce weight and makes about 64 per pound. I have rounded it up saying that a pouch (wearing 3 lbs) can hold about 200 coins (actually 192 coins). Don't know where I got the 3 lbs weight for the pouches but know I read it somewhere.

I'm actually quite hard on my players on what they can wear especially if they don't have appropiate containers and/or transportation. For example they found a stack of 4,000 copper pieces and no one had anything to store it to take it with em. It's about 60 pounds of coin, and thats not fun trying to take with ya.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 06:45:41 PM »
Right book - page 96 just before the table (as stated by Chorpa). If you still need assistance in finding it, please let me know and I'll post an image of the area with the sentenced highlighted.

I see on page 97 it stats that the GM may wish to tinker with the coin weights (e.g. using half-ounce or tenth-ounce currency), or add his own materials standards. This is in the first paragraph on page 97.

TJones I don't see where you are telling me to look, but I have been told by my wife that I'm blind sometimes so that might be what my problem is  :D

I am looking in RMC ChL so I could be looking in the wrong book too.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 07:33:32 PM »
Also, just to give you a comparative reference, 1/4 oz. is a tiny, tiny smidge under 8 grams. IIRC, a US nickle is 5 grams when newly minted. Thus a typical RM coin weighs about 1 1/2 times as much as a nickle. For a metal as heavy as gold, 1 1/2 times the weight would probably be pretty close to the same size.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Aramis

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 08:08:04 PM »
Thanks you, I have found it. I don't know how I missed that. Its highlighted now.
G Mo