Author Topic: Rounding Numbers  (Read 2633 times)

Offline Aramis

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Rounding Numbers
« on: January 02, 2009, 12:15:16 AM »
I cant seem to find any rule about rounding numbers in RMC. Do we round up or down or is it different for specific rules? If so where will I find this in the books? Thanks for any help.

G Mo
G Mo

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Rounding Numbers
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 01:37:15 AM »
I am fairly certain that RM rules state that you round down. (Has anyone ever mentioned how the game is not very player friendly? :o)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 05:36:45 AM »
Actually, I'm pretty sure that you round to the nearest number.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 08:11:39 AM »
Unless specifically stated otherwise, you round to the nearest number (i.e. standard math principles).

Offline Aramis

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 09:30:15 AM »
I guess what is confusing me is that on page12 of RME it says
If more than one stat is given, then average the bonuses before adding the bonus to the skill. (So for two stat skills add the two stat bonuses and divide by two, for three stat skills add all three bonuses and divide by three. In all cases, rounding up to the nearest whole number.)

But in RMC CL page 57 5.4 Stat Bonuses it says
If a stat is listed more than once for a given action it is used that many times in calculating the average for obtaining a bonus for that action.

It does not mention anything about a specific way to round that up like RME says to do. I was just wondering if it was left out or if like Rasyr says above and RME just does this for simplicity?

G mo
G Mo

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 09:58:25 AM »
The acronym was changed from RME to RMX (just mentioning this for clarity's sake).

Remember that RMC Character Law was written well before RMX was. When writing RMX, somebody on the RMC Team likely asked "well how do we do the rounding?", and so that part of RMX was added to make things very clear.

Also, remember that all of the stat bonuses (and racial stat bonuses) are given in increments of +5. This means that no matter how many stats are involved, when averaging them you are going to end up with either a whole number or something that ends in 0.5, which when rounded off (using normal math principles), will be rounded up to the next whole number.

So, essentially, RMX is just including a tiny bit more explanatory text to make sure that things are clear for those who acquire it. (i.e. new players)

Offline Aramis

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 10:32:03 AM »
New players like me ::). Thanks for the explination. Eureka, I've got it. I am making this out to be harder than it really is. Thanks for the help.

G Mo
G Mo

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 11:19:11 AM »
New players like me ::). Thanks for the explination. Eureka, I've got it. I am making this out to be harder than it really is. Thanks for the help.

A lot of people do that.  ;D They over think things because they think RM is a complex system, when it really isn't.

Tables == detail, not complexity.  ;D

Offline Aramis

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 05:49:27 PM »
    All in all I am impressed with the game. I remember when a friend of mine, about 18 years ago, had brought MERP's over for me to look at (wanting me to GM it). We all were heavy into D&D basic and 2nd Ed AD&D. I was intrigued, tried it a few times then it faded from view. I liked it, but at the time it was not for us. 18 years later the unthinkable happened (I am not game bashing), but a game I have loved changed so much and dumbed down that I just had to walk away. I searched my book shelves and flipped open my old MERPS wanting to run another game in Middle-Earth but using GURPS. I then thought, well hell I really liked some of these consepts, I've seen them used in many game systems: BRP, Warhammer, COC, and D&D. I started to reasearch the RMC system last summer ordered some books read a little and shelved them again due to a heavy work schedual.
     Now I started to Role play with my kids who are 12 and 14. I am trying to show them the fun the world of table top games are verses video games lol. They instantly liked D&D 4th edition. We played a few games. Then I introduced them to 3.5 and they liked that even more. 2nd they were intruged with. Now the other day after reading and studying RoleMaster I brought the cannons out, ran a few concepts past them and they were hooked. They liked the tables but told me that it retracted from what they immagine in there head. I told them not to read them a litterly what they said but a concept of the possible out come. After a few examples they want to see and hear more. That is what is exciting to me. I cant wait to try this out sometime with my current group.
G Mo