Author Topic: New to Rolemaster  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Magi

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
New to Rolemaster
« on: December 30, 2008, 02:41:20 PM »
Hello I just acquired copies of
RMC: Character Law HB
RMC: Arms Law HB
RMC: Spell Law HB
RMC: Creatures & Treasures HB
RMC: Combat Companion HB.

I have been listening to the Rolemaster podcast on www.rpgmp3.com and it sparked my intrest in the system. I was wondering where would the forum community suggest I start with these books if I was wanting to be the GM for my group.

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New to Rolemaster
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 02:48:23 PM »
Set a village, create some basic characters, a basic plot, have friends roll test characters and have fun.

That's the best way to learn the game.

Just don't forget common sense is better than any rule.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 03:33:53 PM »
I would suggest that perhaps you might want to pick up a copy of RM Express (you can easily grab the $5 PDF), it includes  a starting adventure and  is very good  for introducing players to Rolemaster. You can then use the RMC books to expand that to the level of complexity that you want.

Offline Spartan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Forge: Western Martial Arts
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 04:38:46 PM »
After following Rasyr's advice, do the following:

I'd start off by reading Character Law. Follow along with the Character Generation blurb, and read it more than once. Keep a notepad handy to write questions and page numbers you don't understand. Usually stuff that's fuzzy up front is clearer after reading further ahead. Maybe sticky notes set in the pages would help.

Re-read the Manouvres section more than once. Then read combat more than once. Create a character (something simple like a fighter) and try a few manouvres and combats. Then you're pretty much good to go, and VERY well prepared. You can get by with a lot less.

Then roll up a mage or something, which will be easy since you've been through it all before.

-Mark

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 06:46:09 PM »
And don't forget that you can post and ask any questions here, and there are many folks who will help you by giving you answers.

Offline Magi

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 09:34:55 PM »
thank you all I will be sure to ask questions as they come up I am currently reading the PDF of RMX and I really like the system. ;D I think I have found something that my players will enjoy.