Author Topic: Body mass  (Read 2493 times)

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Body mass
« on: December 14, 2008, 04:59:37 PM »
Long ago in RoCo I there was a section on calculating mass of humanoid forms based on height and material composition.
Does anyone know if something similar was ever done for non-humanoid forms? I'd think it would be highly useful to at least have calculations for the basic quadruped shape, classic dragon shape, typical bird, etc. If nothing else, I'd think a golem maker would need to know.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Body mass
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 08:03:38 PM »
Bummer, I put this in the wrong place. It was supposed to be on the main board.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 09:14:07 PM »
height x height x height x .0000107 x 47 = weight.

A 6' tall man will weigh 187 lbs using the above.  To figure out heavier objects, substitute the cubic weight of the apropriate material. 

height is in inches.  weight is the weight of a cubic foot of flesh.  +/- 30% of result for build, race, etc.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 10:28:21 PM »

A 6' tall man will weigh 187 lbs using the above.  To figure out heavier objects, substitute the cubic weight of the apropriate material. 

height is in inches.  weight is the weight of a cubic foot of flesh.  +/- 30% of result for build, race, etc.

Yes but, correct me if I am wrong, that formula only works for the humanoid form, right? A horse that is 6' at the withers doesn't weigh 187 lbs., nor anything close. Even if you measure height at the ears, it's still nowhere close.
I have RoCoI, I can find that table. I'm wondering if there is something similar that applies to other shapes.
I wonder how close that formula is when "height" is measured nose to tail?

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 03:20:51 PM »
I never heard of such formulae for animal forms (hit locations of course),
but I don't know that much RPG systems.

But with the right data (weight, volume, a characteristic length)
you can creat them on your own.
And then change the "flesh" to Eog.

I started looking for a scorpion, but couldn't find the needed data.

I once knew some biologists who work with cockroaches,
I believe they could have provided the needed data.
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 04:23:48 PM »

Yes but, correct me if I am wrong, that formula only works for the humanoid form, right? A horse that is 6' at the withers doesn't weigh 187 lbs., nor anything close. Even if you measure height at the ears, it's still nowhere close.
I have RoCoI, I can find that table. I'm wondering if there is something similar that applies to other shapes.
I wonder how close that formula is when "height" is measured nose to tail?
You could always replace the height cubed with the volume of a cylinder that encompasses the horse torso then add say 100# to cover the head and legs.
Or you could estimate using a known horse weight.  Let's see 6' would be 24 hands (that's a really big horse, are they riding a Clydesdale?).  A 16 hand horse (4' at the shoulder) weighs around 1500# depending on the breed and how under or overnourished it is.  Height is +33% so mass at an estimate would be 1.33 cubed times 1500# so aproximately 3500#
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.