Author Topic: RM2 and RMC  (Read 3268 times)

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RM2 and RMC
« on: November 23, 2008, 07:44:49 PM »
I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere but I couldn't find it.  What difficulties will I run into using RM2 (instead of Classc) with things like the Combat Companion.  I want to become proficient with both RM2/C and RMSS/FRP; since I'm sure if/when the new revision comes out it will contain elements of both.

Unfortunately, I'm almost certainly about to lose my job of 13 years and can't justify the RMC purchase; even the CD.  So I have to fall back on what I have in RM2 (which I haven't even looked at in almost 20 years).  I have the boxed set, RoCo's I, II, III, VII and Oriental.  I also have War Law and the original Shadow World.  Anything I need to watch out for?  I do have the Combat Companion as well for RMC.  Thanks.

jolt
"Logic will take you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Einstein

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RM2 and RMC
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 05:02:59 AM »
The biggest changes are as follows:

1) Combat Tactical/Initiative System -- This was completely replaced. The CC rules were built using the new system. If you can afford RMX, I would suggest getting a copy of it, which gives you the basics of the new system.

2) Spell Types -- RMC removed the Passive spell type and made all Passive spells into either Informational or Utility (also added a Phantasm/Illusion spell type). Informational spells are now better explained and get RRs. RMX also contains the minimum basics on this as well.

Thus, I would recommend getting RMX, if for nothing else then for the basics of those two things.

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 11:27:37 AM »
Thanks, that's big help.  RMX is very inexpensive; I'm sure I can manage it.

What about the RoCo's?  I seem to hear mixed things about them.  Anything there that I might want to avoid?

jolt
"Logic will take you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Einstein

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 11:41:39 AM »
What about the RoCo's?  I seem to hear mixed things about them.  Anything there that I might want to avoid?

That depends on your campaign. As a general rule, each companion ups the overall power level to some degree, with the overall effect being very bad if you try to include everything.

You will need to pick and choose options carefully, and compare them against other options in use.

For example, if you allow learning of spell lists above the normal level limit dictated by caster type, you are making magic users more powerful overall, and removing one of the few distinctions between the caster types (and Hybrids and the Archmage become much much more powerful than before!!)

Most of it will be a judgment call on your part -- however, I would definitely recommend staying away from the Force Mage -- he is just way way too powerful overall.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 08:32:46 AM »
I would reccommend RoCo I, simply for all the new races that were introduced in that book.  It also has new monsters, rules for intelligent magic items, and lots of other things that I find helpful.  Each of the later companions makes suggestions about how to change the basic system in some way.

IMHO, RoCo VI is basically the beta-test version of RMSS/FRP.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 11:35:33 AM »
I will have to respectfully disagree with Rasyr, though, and advise you to go through the various companions, all of which I think can be used simultaneously to enhance an RM2 campaign.

I know some people--perhaps many people--see a power creep in the companions, but honestly, I don't quite see it myself. What I do see is that many of the classes in the companions are better at combat than some of the classes in the core rules. That is true. But I always thought some of the classes in the core rules were rather underpowered (yes, Ranger, I'm looking in your direction!), so the power of the classes in the companions seems to me to be generally good and corrective. And in terms of power creep, I don't see the classes in the later companions as being stronger than those in the earlier companions. Rolemaster Companion I has the Paladin, the Archmage and the High Warrior Monk; Companion II has the Warrior Mage. These are arguably the most powerful (or overpowered, depending on your perspective) classes in the game. Later companions have some good ones as well (I'd agree with Rasyr here that the Forcemage is a very powerful class, though I wouldn't personally say overpowered), but in general it seems to me to be more accurate to say that some classes in the companions in general are very powerful. I don't really see a steady power creep myself.

But that's just my 2 cents.

I make this post just because I wanted the OP to know that some of us play with pretty much all the companion classes and don't really have any great problems in doing so. It all depends on how you run your game... so give the companions a look. IMHO, all the companions have something to offer, and you can use them all, if you're careful.

Cheers
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 09:22:01 AM »
Well I finally broke down and ordered RMC.
Ordered "The Essentials" package so now I just have to wait for the CD to arrive.
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 09:50:10 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. 

I also have the Oriental companion.  Just flipping through it, it seems as if it was written under the assumption that you're going to run an Oriental specific campaign.  How does it fare if you lump it in with the other stuff?

jolt

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 12:31:16 PM »
I'm kind of curious as to what defines power creep. Isn't a new class being better at combat and spellcasting than older classes pretty much the definition?

Offline Steve_990

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 12:47:07 PM »
I'm kind of curious as to what defines power creep. Isn't a new class being better at combat and spellcasting than older classes pretty much the definition?

But isn't better determined more by the stats in RM?

Having a Profession being able to LEARN how to fight easier doesn't really make it better. Having identicle stat bonuses and level bonuses and the same number of ranks would be the same skill result regardless if one Profession learns are a 1/4 cost while another is 2/6.

I think the biggest "Power Creep" is spell lists that outdo old lists in ways that are better, or do what the old list did and a lower level.

But I've never really minded too much... a 99 crit treats all power levels equally :D

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
But isn't better determined more by the stats in RM?

Having a Profession being able to LEARN how to fight easier doesn't really make it better. Having identicle stat bonuses and level bonuses and the same number of ranks would be the same skill result regardless if one Profession learns are a 1/4 cost while another is 2/6.

I'm not willing to concede the point, because that isn't the only skill he buys. If one pays 1/4 each for, say, RH Mace, LH Roundshield punch and 2 Weapon Combo, then 15 points gives him a LOT of options in melee, all maxed out. A player paying 2/6 for the same ranks is lookin at 24 points for the same complex of skills. He either has to shake loose 9 points from something else or cut his available responses to whatever scenario the GM dreams up.
RM contains a lot of these situations, and personally I like that. Most things that need to be done well require more than one skill. An herbalist who doesn't have at least foraging, herb lore *and* cookery/preparation skills is largely a joke.

I think the biggest "Power Creep" is spell lists that outdo old lists in ways that are better, or do what the old list did and a lower level.

I agree, but as noted above, some professions (yes, Ranger) badly needed some power creep to keep up.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula