Author Topic: Combat Companion. Buying new maneuvers?  (Read 2321 times)

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Combat Companion. Buying new maneuvers?
« on: October 27, 2008, 07:22:50 PM »
So the example is a bit unclear, or Im a bit obtuse :)

If Im buying a new maneuver, I take the ranks I have in the style and multiply that by.... what exactly.. to find what it costs me in DP?

Cheers

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Combat Companion. Buying new maneuvers?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 07:45:30 PM »
If the maneuver is an "Available maneuver" for the style, then basically it is 1 DP per rank in the existing style (before buying a rank in that style in that level). If the maneuver is not one of those available to the style, then he has to pay double that.

Then, before purchasing any ranks in the style the "style point cost" of the maneuver is added to the style's total style cost, and the DP cost for future purchases of the style is refigured.

Offline Desbr

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 08:45:53 PM »
If using the Freeform Maneuver Option found in EA # 8, it says to ignore the Purchasing Additional Maneuvers section in the Combat Companion.  Does this include increasing the cost of the style after purchasing a new maneuver?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 09:53:54 PM »
Yes

Offline Desbr

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 10:38:06 AM »
Interesting.  This will make the cost of adding maneuvers significantly cheaper over time.  I kind of feel like some sort of rank or level requirement should be added to some of the more powerful maneuvers to compensate.

Did you find that the cost of styles became too great and thus introduced this option or was their another factor invovled?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 10:53:23 AM »
This option was introduced as a method of gaining those options in a method outside of styles (i.e. learn one maneuver for a single style or for many styles).

Yes, it is quite possible that the costs are too low and need to be adjusted , but that actually depends upon the campaign setting and how easy or difficult the GM makes it to learn (i.e. the costs are likely fine if you have to find a teacher to learn the maneuver, as that creates and extra onus, and in-game one, that can be used to great effect - only Master Cho knows the death touch strike, and nobody has seen him since he went in search of the Crystal Caverns of Croomash, so to learn that move, you must first find Master Cho)

Also, given that an average character will only have 35-40 DPs per level, 15 points is more than one third of that, and that is points taken from other skills (and only one maneuver is allowed per level).

Now, if you are using RMFRP, (which was not taken into account in the EA#8 article), you should likely triple those costs.

Offline Desbr

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 11:05:43 AM »
Ahh, I am indeed using RMFRP.  That makes much more sense.  Tripling the cost it is then!

Thank you much for your speedy responses!