Author Topic: Want to try RoleMaster Again. . .  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Harshax

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Want to try RoleMaster Again. . .
« on: September 02, 2008, 07:52:35 PM »
I was looking at the RoleMaster Classic line, and I wanted to know a little about Arm's Law.

I didn't like Arm's Law in '83. All those AT's, all those Weapon Tables. Sorry - not for me. In fact, I didn't play any RM inspired products until MERP. In fact, my memory of the original Arm's Law is that it was nothing more than a folder booklet filled with weapon (1 per page) & crit tables.

So my question is, can you run RoleMaster Classic with MERP style combat/crit charts with just Character Law and Spell Law?

If I wanted a slightly updated, modern MERP (lets call it RERP), what should I get? While The Express Edition looks fairly similar, I don't think I want to go the route of having to print and index all the Express Additions. What do you think?

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Want to try RoleMaster Again. . .
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 08:43:41 PM »
You have a couple options...one is to use Rolemaster Classic in all it's splendor but use the tables from Rolemaster Express, which are similar to what you remember from M**P.    You wouldn't have to worry about the Express Additions, they don't have any attack tables if I recall.  Just stick to the tables in the core RMX book.     In this case, pick up all the RM Classic books (Character Law, Spell Law, C&T) but you can skip Arms Law.  Off hand I can't think of a good reason to get it if you stick to the RMX tables....though I may be forgetting something.

Another thing to look at is the Combat Companion, which also uses smaller condensed attack tables.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 10:41:36 PM »
I was looking at the RoleMaster Classic line, and I wanted to know a little about Arm's Law.

I didn't like Arm's Law in '83. All those AT's, all those Weapon Tables. Sorry - not for me. In fact, I didn't play any RM inspired products until MERP. In fact, my memory of the original Arm's Law is that it was nothing more than a folder booklet filled with weapon (1 per page) & crit tables.

So my question is, can you run RoleMaster Classic with MERP style combat/crit charts with just Character Law and Spell Law?

If I wanted a slightly updated, modern MERP (lets call it RERP), what should I get? While The Express Edition looks fairly similar, I don't think I want to go the route of having to print and index all the Express Additions. What do you think?

First I would like to say welcome to the ICE Forums.

Second HARP is a product like MERP but you may want to expand some of the combat options buy buying HARP Martial Law. Also there are a few other books in the line that IMO are almost essential like the College of Magics but you can play with fewer books also.

In the RMC line which is like RM2 and is a bit more complex than MERP was. It like RMSS & RMFRP use Arms Law but as Lord Miller said above the RMC Combat Companion has some new condensed combat tables and combat options that will make any game more enjoyable for pure fighter types.

If you have any more questions just ask. Also welcome back to ICE games.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 10:43:54 PM »
Vroomfogle covers everything, I think...  ;D

Rolemaster Express has combat tables that are MERP-like

Express Additions (the first couple of issues) revolve around adding material from Character Law and Spell Law and such to Rolemaster Express. You can do the same thing by getting Character Law and Spell Law and just applying the small adjustments listed in the back of Rolemaster Express.

I would also suggest Combat Companion, it gives several new options, including armor by the piece and new combat tables and combat style rules.

Also, here is a link where you can download a Rolemaster Express sampler, which includes a combat table and the page that list the rules changes made for RM Express. -- http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=4360.0

Offline Harshax

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 11:11:10 PM »
I just dropped my dime on RMC Character Law, in addition to my purchase of RMEX earlier this morning. I looked at RMFRP this afternoon on my way to work and did not like what I saw.

Character Law looks cozy and familiar to my long gone red bordered box sets. (You'd never guess how long I poured over those books and never managed to run or play in a single game). Think I'll pick up SL and C&T, see how inspired I get, then purchase dead tree versions of RMC and print relevant chapters from RMEX (sp?).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 09:17:28 PM »
I'd say your next step would depend on what kind of game you like to run, all the advice above is good.

If you want a few more general options, go for Rolemaster Companion I (especially if you run a higher end power level game) . . . .

though you can run for quite a while with just the RMX core book + SL + CL + CT. . . .there's plenty there to do before you ever get close to repeating yourself or getting stale. . .it might be worthwhile to really settle your game down in what you've got, before you start tacking on complications or expansions, what you have is already a pretty nice set.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com