Author Topic: Reputation  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Elton Robb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Master of Atlantis
    • The Atlantis Blog
Yeah, some of you think experience and reputation should be related; but I thought about doing a reputation system.

Probably linked to region at first.  The idea behind the mechanic is that it's tracked by the GM, and it's awarded differently.  Like in the completion of a quest, or an exploration adventure.
Personal Web Portfolio:
http://eltonatlantean.wix.com/portfolio
Deviant Art: http://atlantean6.deviantart.com/
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=561541

Offline croakerdogboy

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Software Developer/Writer/ Indentured Servant
Re: Reputation
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 11:10:12 AM »
Aftermath has something like that in play. It works the way you are talking about with zones of reputation. So in a local zone, you would have a reputation for things, that would fade the farther out you got.

They award reputation based upon skills that you used with critical success, situations you faced, as well as points for failing something horribly (fumbling your weapon) or running from a situation. After so many points you have a reputation for something.

It also has rules for using appearance and obvious traits for people to recognize you and be able to apply your reputation, without stating it yourself. This leads to some really good role playing as the guy with no ears tries to hide his rep for cowardice and incompetence in a rough bar.
It is the fundamental theory of all the more recent American law...that the average citizen is half-witted, and hence not to be trusted to either his own devices or his own thoughts.

H.L. Mencken

Offline twh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Aaarrrgggssshhhh!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 12:45:37 PM »
I have implemented my own reputation system.  It consists of a pair of numbers, e.g. "0/0", for each character.  The first number represents positive mentions (famous) the second number represents negative mentions (infamous).  I did it this way to reflect that a person can be both famous and infamous at the same time.  Right now all my PCs are still at 0/0 since the game is young, but that will change soon.

Specifically how the reputation numbers will affect the game, I am playing by ear.  Currently I'm thinking that someone famous thoughout the realm, such as the Prince (wanna be King) would have number(s) in the 70-90 range, well-known Dukes (the realm is made up of a large number of independent duchies) 60-80, regionally-known Dukes 50-70, and so forth.  We'll see how it plays out.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 01:00:48 PM »
Don't forget that reputations can be exaggerated as well.

Once had a group of PCs take care of a small band of Orcs (about 5 or 6) that were plaguing a small village. They bragged about it in the village tavern afterwards. There just happened to be a trader in there as well. At some point, they were asked where they were heading and they named a good sized town about 100 miles south.

The PCs went out into the wilderness and didn't get to that town until a couple of adventures later (they also went up a level or two).

When they got to that town, they heard all these rumors about how this powerful group was supposedly heading for this town. There were some who were afraid that they were bad guys, some who thought that they were heroes, some (of various levels, include some who were definitely much higher level than the PCs) who wanted to challenge them to make a name for themselves, etc...

After about 2 days, and hearing all of these rumors, it finally clicked that all of these rumors were about them. Since they had already seen two powerful individuals (more powerful than the PCs) come to blows about who was going to get to challenge the "adventurers", they quickly slunk out of town and from that point on were much much more careful in telling their exploits...

What had happened was the trader told the tale at the next village, and got a good reception from it (discount on room and food, better sales, etc..), so as he traveled south, he kept on telling the tale, embroidering it more and more as he went. And as he traveled, other picked up the tale and embroidered it even more...

By the time that the PCs heard the rumor, the 5 or 6 orcs that they defeated had turned into a murderous horde of several dozen, with eyewitnesses!!

Offline Joshua24601

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 03:29:02 PM »
Rasyr... Love it!

The day that our schools are well funded and the Airforce has to hold a bake sale to buy a new bomber, will be a good day!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 03:55:35 PM »
 The first game I saw with reputation (Fame) was 007 RPG in the 80's. I think they have sone a great job with it. So if you have a chnace you might pick it up and read it. that is if it is still out there on PDF or print.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 04:48:06 PM »
Earthdawn also has a reputation aspect but it is directly linked to legend (experience) points.  It gives an idea how well known PC's might be by area (1 mile, 10 miles, major metropolitan areas for example) and how persons might react to the party in general.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 06:29:29 PM »
 EarthDawn is one of thoes game I have not taken a look at. I do have the first book Barsave [sp?] I think it is. But I had so many other ideas at the time that I could not adapt it to the system I was running. 
 One of our group members does have a lot of the new stuff so I will get a chance to take a look at it sometime.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 06:53:03 PM »
Barsaive is the setting, Barsaive at War is the first module to come out after FASA dropped it and it was picked up as Kitchen Sink (?).  I will see if I can dig up the book for more info on what it says as a reference.  If you look further into the system, the way legend points are used for threads - group, individual, tied to items, etc - is quite fascinating.

But relating back to the initial post - having 'reputation points' separate from normal exp. shouldn't be that difficult.  Coming up with a rating system for what the party does, and perhaps in light of Rasyr's story how it might differ from what the party says, shouldnt' be that difficult.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 07:19:16 PM »
 Also what reputation means what where? Does your rep just count in the local village? Only on a road? Only with a kingdome ect.

I had a SM:P game in which I had different levels of social status cost different talent and DP's. So you could be a knight in X parsect and have a rep for y light years around it. There are all sort sof ways to go about it.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 04:37:54 AM »
Don't forget that reputations can be exaggerated as well.

Once had a group of PCs take care of a small band of Orcs (about 5 or 6) that were plaguing a small village. They bragged about it in the village tavern afterwards. There just happened to be a trader in there as well. At some point, they were asked where they were heading and they named a good sized town about 100 miles south.

The PCs went out into the wilderness and didn't get to that town until a couple of adventures later (they also went up a level or two).

When they got to that town, they heard all these rumors about how this powerful group was supposedly heading for this town. There were some who were afraid that they were bad guys, some who thought that they were heroes, some (of various levels, include some who were definitely much higher level than the PCs) who wanted to challenge them to make a name for themselves, etc...

After about 2 days, and hearing all of these rumors, it finally clicked that all of these rumors were about them. Since they had already seen two powerful individuals (more powerful than the PCs) come to blows about who was going to get to challenge the "adventurers", they quickly slunk out of town and from that point on were much much more careful in telling their exploits...

What had happened was the trader told the tale at the next village, and got a good reception from it (discount on room and food, better sales, etc..), so as he traveled south, he kept on telling the tale, embroidering it more and more as he went. And as he traveled, other picked up the tale and embroidered it even more...

By the time that the PCs heard the rumor, the 5 or 6 orcs that they defeated had turned into a murderous horde of several dozen, with eyewitnesses!!

In an old campaign, my players were taking a break in a city (They needed to study) and got to know a bard. Ofcause during several nights of drinking they told the bard some of the things they had been doing so far.. and ofcause the bard listened. After some weeks they left town.
However later in the campaign they stumbled over some books written by the bard they had meet.. and much to their surprise, they were the main characters and larger than life *grin*

That did become a major influence in the story, since one of the players was a paladin and could NOT turn down a honest request for help  ;D

Reputation is an awesome roleplaying tool, if it is used right.
I use it a lot, but more on a 'feel' basis than by any system, so I might have to have a look on Aftermath's system, which sounds rather good.. Unless someone is willing to place their Rep system in the Vault for others to download :)
I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 07:03:15 PM »
Didn't "Campaign Classics: Outlaws" have a reputation system in it? ( I could be imagining things, but I'm fairly sure.)
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline croakerdogboy

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Software Developer/Writer/ Indentured Servant
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 10:36:23 AM »
I have the non campaign classics Outlaw (meaning bought when new) and off hand I don't remember anything about reputation in it. But I will look.
It is the fundamental theory of all the more recent American law...that the average citizen is half-witted, and hence not to be trusted to either his own devices or his own thoughts.

H.L. Mencken