Author Topic: Other Realm Lists  (Read 3274 times)

Offline Phil

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Other Realm Lists
« on: May 31, 2008, 03:36:54 AM »
Now this is a really basic question, but one I've never actually had to consider before: what stats do you use for Other Realm spell lists? Do you continue to use your realm stats (because the character is effectively mimicing the effect of that list using their own realm) or do you use the realm stats applicable to the list iteself?

Has anyone considered getting rid of the rather old school slavish realm requirements? I'm not sure how I'd do this - perhaps adding new spell-casting skills for each type of ability and allowing characters to develop realm specific 3 PP skills (ie not making it completely free).

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: Other Realm Lists
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 05:16:10 AM »
Now this is a really basic question, but one I've never actually had to consider before: what stats do you use for Other Realm spell lists? Do you continue to use your realm stats (because the character is effectively mimicing the effect of that list using their own realm) or do you use the realm stats applicable to the list iteself?

The character is AFAIK indeed mimicing the other realm spell effects using the means of his own realm. Therefore he uses the realm stats and the PPs of his own realm.

Has anyone considered getting rid of the rather old school slavish realm requirements? I'm not sure how I'd do this - perhaps adding new spell-casting skills for each type of ability and allowing characters to develop realm specific 3 PP skills (ie not making it completely free).

I didn't.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 06:41:56 AM »

The Caster uses his normal stats and Power Points. He isn't mimicking anything, he is learning how to cast a list from another realm as if it were from his own realm (one of the reasons for the increased costs).

Check out the "Unofficial Revision Discussion" forum (down near the bottom of the main page). The basic answer is "Yes, it has been thought of, but not many folks liked the idea".

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 09:53:45 AM »
I have ran individual campaigns that combined the realm of mentalism and essence into one realm (essence), while keeping channeling.  I have also ran a campaign combining all realms into one (essence).  Both worked ok, and I prefer one realm over the divisions, but it took a lot of work.

I would like to see spell users in the future follow the channeling companion templates, were all base list are grouped together and the spell user picks his base list based on things such as culture, education, guild affiliation, GM fiat, whatever.  My favorite aspect of this approach is it removes the cookie cutter result current base list provide (all mages/mentalist/etc are alike with the same spells). 

I am thinking of making onle one realm available in my next campaign; channeling.  I will merge all the base list with the Channeling Companion base list and all spell users will choose their base six.  I am looking at a bg option cost for access to certain base list, or the ability to pick other base list beyond the six while no bg expenditure will result in random other base list generation.

I have created PC's before using random base list generation to generate a feeling of "this are the magic list that were available durring your apprenticeship" feeling.  It worked well enough, though some players did not care for it.   I am, however, fortunate to have very experienced and mature players with open minds.

I like the list system, but I am open to some major overhauling of the realms.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 08:02:11 PM »
 Boy a few mods here but I want to answer this question as I house rule it in my game. Just a friendly poster.
Note: House Rule
  The other realm spell uses the same pool of magic points but I generally use the stats for the realm it is copying. Why IMO the base spell is so tied up with those stats it can not be seperated from them. Yes the caster had to try harder to learn and adapt the spell to use thier power realm, read more DP's. But it still is cast almost the same way so it usese thoes stats.
  Also this makes casting other realm spell harder and not as friendly so it is another negative along with high DP cost to learn. And this also keeps Arcane users at an advantage vs other spell casters learning other lists.

Now do I break the rule above in some cases. Yes, artifacts and other such "extream" examples in game play that have to do with magic or magical effects.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 12:49:40 AM »
were all base list are grouped together and the spell user picks his base list based on things such as culture, education, guild affiliation, GM fiat, whatever.  My favorite aspect of this approach is it removes the cookie cutter result current base list provide (all mages/mentalist/etc are alike with the same spells). 
lynn

This is what I am looking into doing with essence users mostly. Have a pool of spell lists and the player picks the 10 that is their spell lists (maybe have some thrust on them from culture/race/etc.) and the rest go into the pool of either closed lists or restricted closed lists (where you have to purchase 2 ranks to get one level).
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.