Author Topic: So we know what my campaigns characters will be  (Read 2895 times)

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
So we know what my campaigns characters will be
« on: May 08, 2008, 08:20:21 PM »
We decided the theme would be noble knights.. so all three characters will be either fighters or paladins, with a fourth to possibly join.

Good times :)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: So we know what my campaigns characters will be
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 09:36:19 PM »
 Why not an elf ranger? Or a rouge? Or martial clerics? Or warrior mages?

IMO, you have a whole host of options to pick from, just do not let a concept pidgen whole you into a narrow set of professions. As IMO the professions are more genetic adaptions not jobs, abilties or birthrights.

I say the above all in fun as a couple of the best characters I had were out of the comon mold from the game description.

Also have fun
MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:57:49 PM »
Well, because elves stink, rangers are weak at combat especially at early levels, a rogue is not noble in the traditional sense or by definition, a paladin really IS a martial cleric and a warrior mage does not fit in all settings, kingdoms, etc in addition to being much weaker than fighters and paladins at level 1-5 (plus they are just silly and a real good example of a profession that shouldn't exist...just me there ;) ).

Sometimes few options are better than a lot.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:01:39 PM »
Well, its very simple. My players decided they wanted to play knights. So my players get to play knights.

All our sessions start with us sitting down and coming up with something we think would be cool. Lately, we've all been really into themed kind of games.

Offline rafmeister

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:38:12 PM »
     Odd concept: maybe a lay healer? They are the spell caster with the cheapest armor skills, and riding is reasonably priced...  ;)

With that said, fighters are an excellent character to base campaigns around. A player can truly vary characters within a class. Paladins can provide enough healing to keep the party going, but are annoying much of the time.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 11:01:53 PM »
Runequester,
 I was not trying to tell you what to play only that IMO knight is a job title and in my game it has no relation to what profession you are.

I do like the idea that all players are from the same order or of close orders and IMO it should be a great start.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 08:40:51 AM »
ah, my bad. Didnt mean to jump on you. Other than one player, w ehavent talked about specific professions, but they all expressed interest in a fairly combat intensive game

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 11:45:19 AM »
We decided the theme would be noble knights.. so all three characters will be either fighters or paladins, with a fourth to possibly join.

Good times :)
Yes - you have three, possibly four, walking plot hooks. Makes being the GM easy.  ;D
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha