Author Topic: Spells that boost OB and DB...  (Read 2906 times)

Offline Joshua24601

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spells that boost OB and DB...
« on: May 01, 2008, 05:59:41 AM »
I'm sure this has been discussed before...
How do you guys play with multiple DB or OB boosting spells cast on a target at the same time??

I could see it a couple of ways of doing it.. (I'll use DB for my example)
First off, I think 'adding to DB' and 'subtracting from opponents OB'.. while being almost identical as far as game play are obviously different and don't interfere with each other.

But, what about 2 spells that add to DB.  I'd be inclined limit the effect to just one spell... whatever spell boosts the PC's DB the most, is the one having effect... (at least game mechanically)

However some spells seem to defend the PC in totally different ways.  There are spells that boost the PC's quickness, making him more agile.. and (off the top of my head) there's spells that increase a PC's resistance rolls and DB... making him more 'resistant' to damage.
These are totally different ways of increasing DB..  There are probably other 'unique' ways spells boost defenses...
Rather then limit to one spell adding to DB, should the spells (GM's discretion) be subdivided into effects... only one agility/quickness effect, only one skin hardening/damage resistance effect and so on?

My only other thought, was to diminish the returns of each additional spell.  The largest DB spell adds full DB.. the 2nd largest adds 1/2.. 3rd adds 1/4 (or 1/3 if you want to be generous) and it continues dropping from there...

Thoughts?
The day that our schools are well funded and the Airforce has to hold a bake sale to buy a new bomber, will be a good day!

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Re: Spells that boost OB and DB...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 06:11:47 AM »
As long as spells don't have the same name or don't have directly conflicting effects (aura and blur) I let them stick together.
So a character can have Shield, Enchanted Robes, Aura, and Bless cast on him, for a total of (25+10+10+5) +50 to his DB.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 08:43:04 AM »
The issue of "How do bonuses stack" not just spells, but all bonuses, is often a problem, and there are many answers. . .a lot depends on how much bonus you want to allow as a GM. . .if it's too much, there are options to reduce it, if you want more, there are methods to increase it.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 10:19:57 AM »
Boosting OB's also could be problematic as there really are only two ways to do it - boost the stat or boost the skill. 

The first is pretty easy as you only get one spell (but two stats).

However spells that affect the latter come in two catagories - ones with a duration (rd/level for example) and ones with 'next attack'.  Do these stack as well?
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Joshua24601

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 01:40:24 PM »
The issue of "How do bonuses stack" not just spells, but all bonuses,

Thx.. my brain couldn't come up with the word stack last night.

So this is one of those spots the rules just leave it up to GM interpretation?
The day that our schools are well funded and the Airforce has to hold a bake sale to buy a new bomber, will be a good day!

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 02:02:01 PM »
The core rules are just what arioch said above, but there are plenty of variations in how GMs have dealt with it.

If you're looking for advice, or things people have done before, need to know what you want.

Do you want to reduce or limit bonus more? Is it just spells, or all bonuses in general?
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Joshua24601

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 05:35:30 PM »
I'm mostly just preempting the question in my game.  As the spell casters become higher levels it will become an obvious question.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 06:06:48 PM »
As long as spells don't have the same name or don't have directly conflicting effects (aura and blur) I let them stick together.
So a character can have Shield, Enchanted Robes, Aura, and Bless cast on him, for a total of (25+10+10+5) +50 to his DB.

I do as Arioch does here by looking at the spells effect's and going from thier. Same effect maybe the cancle each other out, that same goes for simmuler effects as ruled by the GM at the time. ie above arura and blur do not stack. Also in my game I have shield spells give off faint light and penalise hiding and sneeking by -x2 sheilds DB bonus. So no trying to sneek up on people with an active shield spell.

As a side not at one time I did have a armor/shield spell list written up that allowed the caster to add faces to his shield spell as well as have other armoring effects. I will have to see if I have it still.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 07:31:06 AM »
While the source is different (aura is like a 'barrier', bless explain itself, etc.) you can add, if the origin is the same you only use higher. For example you can wear robe under armor, if you cast 'Enchanted Robes' (+10 DB armor type) and your armor is +15 DB, then you use only the +15 DB.

Offline Mider

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 08:20:13 AM »
A lot of the spells state what they stack with such as aura and blur not stacking and I want to say shield and shield 2.  We normally only allow the higher level casters spell to work, kinda like overriding the lower caster.  Also, you said at the same time,  one of GM's favorite thing is the multiple spells at the same time problem.  He has ruled that the 2 or more spells come into conflict and can have problems such as canceling out each other to going boooom.  He even developed a chart to add a little depth to the hole that is being dug.